Quiet Riot singer found dead

WhiteMaleRatWhiteMaleRat Posts: 301
edited November 2007 in Other Music
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21978302/?GT1=10547

Quiet Riot lead singer found dead
Kevin Dubrow found in Vegas home; band rose to fame in early 1980s

LOS ANGELES - Kevin DuBrow, lead singer of the popular 1980s heavy metal band Quiet Riot, has been found dead from unknown causes at his home in Las Vegas, authorities said on Monday.

DuBrow, 52, was found dead at about 5:20 p.m. on Sunday, a spokeswoman for the Clark County Coroner’s Office said. She said an autopsy would be conducted to determine the cause of death.

“I can’t even find the words to say,” Quiet Riot bandmate Frankie Banali said on his Web site. “Please respect my privacy as I mourn the passing and honor the memory of my dearest friend, Kevin DuBrow.”

Quiet Riot, which was founded in the mid-1970s, topped the Billboard charts in 1983 with the album “Metal Health,” spurred on by the massive hit single “Cum on Feel the Noize.”

The band has since endured break-ups and personnel changes but released a new album in 2006 and continued to tour sporadically.
"This guy back here is giving me the ole one more....one more back to you buddy."

- Mr. Edward Vedder 7/11/03

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• fanch75fanch75 Posts: 3,734
    I can't believe this; DuBrow was a pretty healthy guy, from all signs. He was an innovator and part of the early 80's metal genre, and set a wave into motion that would last ten years.

I'll crank "Metal Health" in your honor, Mr. Debrow.
    Do you remember Rock & Roll Radio?
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    I know next to nothing of their music but that cover of Cum on feel the Noize was sublime. I don't like that kind of music generally but that was one of the catchiest, most fun songs of all-time and one of the coolest guitar solos. FAR better than the original.

RIP
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • LukinFanLukinFan Posts: 29,040
    This sucks so much. A great band to see live- one of the better 80's ones.

RIP
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • jsk175jsk175 Posts: 70
    Bummer, I remember being a kid and that was some of the first Heavy Metal I ever heard.

RIP
  • It was likely hair-plug related.
    It is time to admit that we used to rock like hurricanes. It is time to run for the hills and go round and round. It is time for us to shout at the devil. We've got the right to choose it, there ain't no way we'll lose it, and we're not gonna take it anymore.
    - C. Klosterman
    When I was little, I was scared of them.

That's the first sign of a great metal band.

\m/
  • I was just looking through an old interview with Kevin DuBrow from 2000. Anyone who knows their hair band history knows that he was a polarizing figure and made a lot of enemies. Of course, he will be missed. Check these out:

Q: lets get to the question everybody wants to know. How is it in 1983 you were balding and now it's the year 2000 and you have more hair than ever? When did you start wearing a wig and do you have any plans of taking it off and letting your bald head shine?
    A: Sorry to disappoint you, but I do not now or have I ever worn a wig. In my early 20's my hair started thinning and in 1985 my girlfriend at the time suggested I try a hair weave (also called extensions). They attach real hair to your own. It is not removable! I've always had thin hair and really wanted hair like Frankie's so I guess I went a bit overboard! I currently wear it shorter and thinner then ever but only because it's less trouble to take care of. Keep in mind that I am a voracious reader and read all the jokes, insults and comment made about my hair. Some are pretty funny, but most are not that creative. Either way, I pay no mind to them as they don't mean much to me.

Q: Who's the most overrated band today?
    A: Pearl Jam

Q: Tell us what you remember about the following years:
    1975 = I got a phone call from Randy Rhoads that began this whole thing
    1979 = I was crushed when Randy joined Ozzy. Little did I know that my musical journey was really just beginning. 1983 = The most amazing year of my life. Metal health went #1, Steve Marriott of Humble Pie jammed with Quiet Riot. All my dreams came true!
    1987 = Got booted out of the band that I co-founded. Not a very pleasant time. Just started to realize how much we were getting ripped off by the scumbag that signed us.
    1991 = I started over. I got Carlos back and started playing live gain.
    1995 = After 5 years of clubs non-stop it was time for a break.
    1999 = Rock never stops and I met my girlfriend. A really fun year.

You can find the whole thing on metal-sludge.com.
    It is time to admit that we used to rock like hurricanes. It is time to run for the hills and go round and round. It is time for us to shout at the devil. We've got the right to choose it, there ain't no way we'll lose it, and we're not gonna take it anymore.
    - C. Klosterman
    DocChicago wrote:
    Q: Who's the most overrated band today?
    A: Pearl Jam

hahaha, nice.

of course, by posting this, you may as well have insulted the mothers of half of the folks on this board, and thus there will be no kind thoughts thrown Mr. DuBrow's way in memorium.

idiots. :)
  • fanch75 wrote:
    hahaha, nice.

of course, by posting this, you may as well have insulted the mothers of half of the folks on this board, and thus there will be no kind thoughts thrown Mr. DuBrow's way in memorium.

idiots. :)

he can rot in hell....
    "This guy back here is giving me the ole one more....one more back to you buddy."

- Mr. Edward Vedder 7/11/03