Shinedown-Sounds of Madness

pjalive21pjalive21 Posts: 2,818
edited July 2008 in Other Music
just picked up this album earlier in the week and its a must grab

album beginning to end is a nice piece of work

anyone else check this album out?

what did you think?

you can listen to the whole album for free at their website....

http://www.shinedown.com/
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• DocChicagoDocChicago Posts: 653
    I've only heard the single ("Devour") but it seems to have more balls than anything they've put out before. I'll have to listen to the rest of it.
    It is time to admit that we used to rock like hurricanes. It is time to run for the hills and go round and round. It is time for us to shout at the devil. We've got the right to choose it, there ain't no way we'll lose it, and we're not gonna take it anymore.
    - C. Klosterman
  • darthvedder88darthvedder88 Posts: 1,023
    Absolutely hated it. They got rid of Jasin Todd and Brad Stewart and got two new guitarists and a bassist. They now sound like every other generic rock band out their and lyrically it's their worst album as well. "Devour" was alright and "What a Shame" is the only song that was actually good.
    "Darth Vader would say 'Impressive'."

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
    6/14/08 Manchester, Tennessee
  • They're like Creed at this point. They started off good (even with the blatant vocal rip-offs), got gradually worse, and now the only thing I hear are shitty lyrics, and the same generic pattern of music. Visually, I see dollar signs, and future American Idol contestants raping it in the auditions. Emotionally, no impact at all. "What A Shame" is the only one I can get into on the whole thing.
    Take a ride on the relationship:

http://www.myspace.com/unlockandunload
  • xSmackSoundxxSmackSoundx Posts: 479
    I like the first three songs + What a shame... thats it... the rest is crap...
  • JSP552003JSP552003 Posts: 222
    They started off good (even with the blatant vocal rip-offs),.

wow i'm curious...who do you think brent smith is ripping off?

havent liked any album but the first one, pretty good live tho
  • pjalive21pjalive21 Posts: 2,818
    Absolutely hated it. They got rid of Jasin Todd and Brad Stewart and got two new guitarists and a bassist. They now sound like every other generic rock band out their and lyrically it's their worst album as well. "Devour" was alright and "What a Shame" is the only song that was actually good.

wow...didnt know they got rid of those guys, thats a shame

lyrically it isnt their best i will agree, but its different from their previous efforts and i like that i guess
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    JSP552003 wrote:
    pretty good live tho

When I saw them he lip-synced the chorus to I Dare You, fucking ridiculous!
  • evenflow524evenflow524 Posts: 128
    With Jasin gone they've lost alot, still a solid band but its not shinedown at this point, just Brent's solo project.... those guitarist are terrible though. Generic city....
    5/24/06 Boston, 6/28/08 & 6/30/08 Mansfield
  • JamnPearlJamnPearl Posts: 204
    Who did Brent rip off? I listened to the album a few times a few weeks ago and thought it was ok...probably need to listen again for a better judgement.
  • darthvedder88darthvedder88 Posts: 1,023
    I wouldn't say Brent ripped off anybody, he may sound like Chris Cornell at times but he has a great voice. But their new guitarists are shit. Jason Todd was a great guitarist and Brad Stewart was a pretty good bassist and they helped give Shinedown that really full sound they used to have. Get the original Shinedown back and I'll start listening again.
    "Darth Vader would say 'Impressive'."

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
    6/14/08 Manchester, Tennessee
  • JSP552003JSP552003 Posts: 222
    When I saw them he lip-synced the chorus to I Dare You, fucking ridiculous!

haha really? thats horrible, and to a crappy song too...well i've seen them twice on their first tour right after Leave a Whisper (when simple man was a great live cover and wasn't added as a bonus track yet or overplayed to death)...great freakin show...right up front, no lipsyncing back then

nick perri needs to go back to silvertide...also good live, at least they were when i saw them, lots of energy...hopefully their next album (if there's even gonna be one) won't be as bad as the last 2 from shinedown
  • Stephen FlowStephen Flow Posts: 3,327
    I wouldn't say Brent ripped off anybody, he may sound like Chris Cornell at times but he has a great voice. But their new guitarists are shit. Jason Todd was a great guitarist and Brad Stewart was a pretty good bassist and they helped give Shinedown that really full sound they used to have. Get the original Shinedown back and I'll start listening again.

Sorry, I'm not a Shinedown fan AT ALL, but having the name Jason Todd has to be the most badass thing in the world (for a comic book nerd anyway.)
    "Call Me" is pure vocals...good song...cant stop listening to this one

"Devour", "Crow and the Butterfly". "Second Chance", "What a Shame" are my other favs

i agree tho, original guitar players were better, but i have to admit once again i like this album
  • I think they are still pluggin along just fine.

Like the new record. Got a bit of punch to it that I was not expecting.

I like If you only knew, It's a shame, Devour...
    Gets up, lights a cigarette he's grown to hate
    Thinking if he can't sleep, how will he ever dream?

But his heart don't seem to roam......
  • Absolutely hated it. They got rid of Jasin Todd and Brad Stewart and got two new guitarists and a bassist. They now sound like every other generic rock band out their and lyrically it's their worst album as well. "Devour" was alright and "What a Shame" is the only song that was actually good.
    hated it also
    Fav. Bands
    My Morning Jacket
    Pearl Jam
    Neil Young
    Wilco
    Tool
    Rush
    Drive By Truckers

pj shows
    8/17/98
    8/15/00
    8/18/00
    8/20/00
    6/22/03
    10/2/04
    8/5/07
    after hearing this i appreciate more why they let the original guitarist go..if there is no chemistry and you feel stuck in the sand then you lose your spark as a band

http://attblueroom.com/music/mediaplayer.php?cid=182631

this album is good...the more i listen to it the better i like it..pick it up and give it a real shot

i know alot of PJ fans try to steer away from "mainstream" music to feel like they are special, but this album is up there as one of the best of the year