I just got Tripod

PJamGrunge10PJamGrunge10 Posts: 596
edited September 2007 in Other Music
So I got Alice In Chains' last album the other day and as I'm listening to it I thinking what is up with the voice overlapping? It's on every song!
Stone Gossard...riffmeister extraordinaire!

I am a man, I am advanced.....I am the first man to borrow Stone's leather pants!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I'm not quite sure where you're going with that. You know they had 2 singers, right? Are you saying you think it sounds different than their other albums?
    It is time to admit that we used to rock like hurricanes. It is time to run for the hills and go round and round. It is time for us to shout at the devil. We've got the right to choose it, there ain't no way we'll lose it, and we're not gonna take it anymore.
    - C. Klosterman
  • LukinFanLukinFan Posts: 29,040
    when did this come out?
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • So I got Alice In Chains' last album the other day and as I'm listening to it I thinking what is up with the voice overlapping? It's on every song!
    I assume you mean the fact that the vocals sound kinda spacey and distant... I guess it's because Staley's voice had deteriorated due to his addiction, and they were trying to cover that up.
  • I also listened to a promo interview the band did for this album and Layne had wanted to experiment more with vocals as opposed to the past albums. But you could tell his voice did get a bit weaker on this record compared to Dirt or Facelift. I still think its a great album to listen to. I didn't really like it at first, but most of the songs grew on me anyways
  • I assume you mean the fact that the vocals sound kinda spacey and distant... I guess it's because Staley's voice had deteriorated due to his addiction, and they were trying to cover that up.

That's what I was thinking. It's pretty obvious after listening to Unplugged...

And yes I realize Jerry Cantrell sings a lot on the album too, but I was mostly referring to Layne.
    Stone Gossard...riffmeister extraordinaire!

I am a man, I am advanced.....I am the first man to borrow Stone's leather pants!
  • if your hearing alot of the songs for the first time, better late then never. personally i love the sound of the album, its very atmospheric.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • I had a dog named Tripod. Not named after the album, but I accidentally dropped a glass Root Beer bottle in the garage and the fuckimg went to lick up the soda and sliced some tendons in her back leg. At that point, Cassie became Tripod
  • Best AIC album IMO.
    "Darth Vader would say 'Impressive'."

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
    6/14/08 Manchester, Tennessee
  • I fuckin love that album, Brush Away is a great track.
    "If my thoughts, dreams, could be seen, they'd probably put my head, in a guillotine, but it's alright ma, it's life and life only."
  • if your hearing alot of the songs for the first time, better late then never. personally i love the sound of the album, its very atmospheric.

Love this album...the production is awesome, its a very unique sounding album, very textured..and I think the songs are all great..I never thought this album got the credit it deserved. Some sick guitar work by Cantrell as usual.
  • I assume you mean the fact that the vocals sound kinda spacey and distant... I guess it's because Staley's voice had deteriorated due to his addiction, and they were trying to cover that up.
    That's what I was thinking. It's pretty obvious after listening to Unplugged...

And yes I realize Jerry Cantrell sings a lot on the album too, but I was mostly referring to Layne.

The stuff you guys are saying is misinformation. I do not believe his voice was deteriorated at the time of the recording and it was merely an artistic choice. Case in point: Mad Season was released around the same time and the live performances for that in 1995 were really good.
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    Sludge Factory
    Frogs
    God Am

some of my favorite AIC songs are on that album.
  • The stuff you guys are saying is misinformation. I do not believe his voice was deteriorated at the time of the recording and it was merely an artistic choice. Case in point: Mad Season was released around the same time and the live performances for that in 1995 were really good.
    THANK YOU for putting the record right...I hate when everyone blames any thing they dont like about the band on Staley's addiction issues.

The album was intended to have a different sound...they are not given enough credit for being an experimental band...no 2 albums sound alike...

also, to the original poster - the dual vocals is the lasting legacy of ALICE IN CHAINS...its harmony...and quite beautiful.
    IF YOU WANT A PLATE OF MY BEEF SWELLINGTON, YOU'RE GOING TO HAVE TO PAY THE COVERCHARGE.
  • THANK YOU for putting the record right...I hate when everyone blames any thing they dont like about the band on Staley's addiction issues.

The album was intended to have a different sound...they are not given enough credit for being an experimental band...no 2 albums sound alike...

also, to the original poster - the dual vocals is the lasting legacy of ALICE IN CHAINS...its harmony...and quite beautiful.

Yeah, I hear ya, man/woman. Personally I liked it and felt it put a darker sound to the already dark sounding music on that album...I mean, if you couldn't tell by my name, one of my all time favorite songs is on that album. It's hard to pick though since there are so many good songs on there and the album sounds fucking GOOD. Good as in there is a lot of depth too it musically and you can actually hear that depth, unlike the releases of today.
  • Yeah, I hear ya, man/woman. Personally I liked it and felt it put a darker sound to the already dark sounding music on that album...I mean, if you couldn't tell by my name, one of my all time favorite songs is on that album. It's hard to pick though since there are so many good songs on there and the album sounds fucking GOOD. Good as in there is a lot of depth too it musically and you can actually hear that depth, unlike the releases of today.
    Woman. ;)

I go thru waves of my favs on that album lately it's been frogs...
    IF YOU WANT A PLATE OF MY BEEF SWELLINGTON, YOU'RE GOING TO HAVE TO PAY THE COVERCHARGE.