the hold steady vs. clap your hands say yeah

soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
edited January 2007 in Other Music
ive read a lot about both of these bands and i saw 'boys and girls in america' and 's/t' at virgin for $10 apiece. which one should i buy?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    don't know your musical tastes, they are very different from each other. I listen to Boys and Girls in America more however the clap your hands disc for the song This Home on Ice is worth the 10 bucks.

The Hold Steady from strictly a musical standpoint should appeal to everybody, very rock oriented however depending on how you feel about vocals, both of these discs may rub ya the wrong way.
  • mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
    I remember hearing a lot about clap your hands... but when I put on the disc at work I thought it was kind of lame. The hold steady however are probably the best band out there right now, Seperation Sunday and Boys & Girls in America are 2 of the 3 best albums I've heard so far this decade

edit-typo
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    Sawyer wrote:
    not even close.....'Boys and Girls in America' is the record of '06......go get it.......NOW!!!

yeah, ive downloaded both and i find that i prefer that one, though clap your hands is interesting. how is the first hold steady album? it's labelled a masterpiece in some reviews.
  • I prefer Clap Your Hands Say Yeah. The vocals are a little hard to get used to, but if you can, you'll really have yourself a good time.
    "It's not British music, it's American music. Now c'mon." -Bob Dylan
  • mwachsmanmwachsman Posts: 474
    Sawyer wrote:
    not even close.....'Boys and Girls in America' is the record of '06......go get it.......NOW!!!

Agreed. Remember everyone they are on Letterman tonight!

http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?t=229069
    "So, you must really love Led Zeppelin. That’s the oldest shirt I’ve ever seen on someone who wasn’t a bum."
    "Hey, if God didn’t want me to wear it so much, he wouldn’t have made them rock so hard."
  • both really good, both going for the same audience. cyhsy takes themselves a little more seriously...that's the only difference i can think of.
  • if you want to be annoyed as hell by a guy's voice, then get clap your hands. if you want to be like "wtf is all this hype about? this sucks!" then get the hold steady. i'd get wolf parade or beach house if i were you. or beruit. or devotchka.
    this heart's on fire
  • transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    beach house
    snoozefest.
  • CM1847CM1847 Posts: 577
    Finally picked up Boys & Girls in America last week after hearing many good things. It took me a few listens to get over the vocals, often times the singer goes with the speaking-as-singing technique which took me a little bit to get into. I'm loving the album now though, only 2 or 3 tracks I don't like. Clap Your Hands is pretty good, but I prefer Boys & Girls in America out of the two.
    if you want to be annoyed as hell by a guy's voice, then get clap your hands. if you want to be like "wtf is all this hype about? this sucks!" then get the hold steady. i'd get wolf parade or beach house if i were you. or beruit. or devotchka.

im pretty sure im not cool enough to like any of those bands. so im leaning towards hold steady. they're kinda like kings of leon if kings and leon knew how to rock.
  • i vote clap your hands.
    Cheat the odds that made you
    Brave to try to gamble at times
    yeah, ive downloaded both and i find that i prefer that one, though clap your hands is interesting. how is the first hold steady album? it's labelled a masterpiece in some reviews.

the first hold steady is ok, the second (Seperation Sunday) is fucking absurdly good, probably the best record of the decade.
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

• restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,951
    Sawyer wrote:

really? wow, im gonna download it now, i hold clap your hands say yeah pretty highly,

i wann hear this "boys and girls in america"
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • if you want to be annoyed as hell by a guy's voice, then get clap your hands. if you want to be like "wtf is all this hype about? this sucks!" then get the hold steady. i'd get wolf parade or beach house if i were you. or beruit. or devotchka.

hahahaha that was awesome.
  • Sawyer wrote:
    thanks pitchfork.....

i think pitchfork loves those albums......
    i don't get it.
    this heart's on fire
  • iamsampjiamsampj Posts: 784
    i like both bands. but i'd choose clap your hands...it's something different. almost has a talking heads tinge to it at time w/ the singer's voice...which i like. get 'em both:D just allow a bit of time to get used to clap your hands. the hold steady you'll like from the first spin.
    yes...i do feel like a human. i do not feel like a tree.
  • oh and soulsinging i think you're more than cool enough. check out a song by wolf parade called modern world and a song called "you love me" by devotchka. you might be pleasantly surprised! :)
    this heart's on fire
    iamsampj wrote:
    i like both bands. but i'd choose clap your hands...it's something different. almost has a talking heads tinge to it at time w/ the singer's voice...which i like. get 'em both:D just allow a bit of time to get used to clap your hands. the hold steady you'll like from the first spin.

actually, it took me a fw spins to get used to both of them. ive been listening to em on my ipod. i like them both, though i think the edge goes to hold steay so far. i do like that talking heads vibe form clap your hands though. heavy metal is a great song.
  • "We started recreational / it ended kinda medical / it came on hot and soft / and then it tightened up its tentacles" - Hot Soft Light

THS hands down! Great lyrics and a singer who's a cross between Mark Eitzel and Elvis Costello. "Chill Out Tent" from "Boys & Girls In America" is the grooviest, campiest boy/girl duet rock tune since The Tubes "Don't Touch Me There."
    "Hello Oregonians. Hello Washingtonians. Hello Portland..where the fuck are we? We're in Ridgefield!"
    jammerfall wrote:
    "We started recreational / it ended kinda medical / it came on hot and soft / and then it tightened up its tentacles" - Hot Soft Light

THS hands down! Great lyrics and a singer who's a cross between Mark Eitzel and Elvis Costello. "Chill Out Tent" from "Boys & Girls In America" is the grooviest, campiest boy/girl duet rock tune since The Tubes "Don't Touch Me There."

totally the best song on this or any other record this (last?) year
    Chris Cornell

oh and soulsinging i think you're more than cool enough. check out a song by wolf parade called modern world and a song called "you love me" by devotchka. you might be pleasantly surprised! :)

i downloaded the entire wolf parade album. havent listened to it yet. i looked up devotchka on allmusic and they dont really seem my style. given that ive got a ton of new stuff to listen to these days, it will have to get filed in the back of my head for a rainy day.
    oh and soulsinging i think you're more than cool enough. check out a song by wolf parade called modern world and a song called "you love me" by devotchka. you might be pleasantly surprised! :)

ive been listening to the wolf parade album... it's alright. honestly though, i dont see how you can say the clap your hands guy has an annoying voice and this guy rocks? their voices are pretty similar if you ask me...

in any case, not too shabby. but i think hold steady beats them both.
  • TaftTaft Posts: 454
    transplant wrote:
    don't know your musical tastes, they are very different from each other. I listen to Boys and Girls in America more however the clap your hands disc for the song This Home on Ice is worth the 10 bucks.

The Hold Steady from strictly a musical standpoint should appeal to everybody, very rock oriented however depending on how you feel about vocals, both of these discs may rub ya the wrong way.

Agreed, This Home on Ice is an amazing song....
  • direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    The Hold Steady were on Letterman a few nights ago, and I thought they were amazing. I bought "Boys and Girls in America" yesterday and I've been playing the CD all morning. Great lyrics, catchy hooks, and loud in-yer-face guitars. I love it. Nothing wrong with a good old fashioned rock record. There isn't enough of that these days.
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • CM1847CM1847 Posts: 577
    Sawyer wrote:
    welcome......it only gets better with time
    Seriously....the first few times I heard it I wasn't all that into it, but over the past week it is the only album I've wanted to listen to.