neil young/pearl jam vs. jimmy page/black crowes

soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
edited January 2007 in Other Music
thought we might get a bit more thoughtful opinions here than over on the porch. im wondering what you all like better... mirrorball or live at the greek. have you all heard the latter? i think it's an amazing album. it's not a perfect comparison... one is a studio album with original songs and a great backing band, the other a love album of hhits and covers and a great backing band. but ive got to lean towards page and the crowes. mirrorball had a great sound, solid songs, and added some serious crunch to neil's already rocking sound. but the crowes and jimmy page produced one loud, sloppy, loose, and energetic live show. that album blows me away with how lively they sound and really allows jimmy to emphasize his love for the blues more than he did with zeppelin. it's a fun and unique creation from both of them. whereas mirrorball feels like a pretty run of the mill neil rock record with a younger backing band.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    thought we might get a bit more thoughtful opinions here than over on the porch. im wondering what you all like better... mirrorball or live at the greek. have you all heard the latter? i think it's an amazing album. it's not a perfect comparison... one is a studio album with original songs and a great backing band, the other a love album of hhits and covers and a great backing band. but ive got to lean towards page and the crowes. mirrorball had a great sound, solid songs, and added some serious crunch to neil's already rocking sound. but the crowes and jimmy page produced one loud, sloppy, loose, and energetic live show. that album blows me away with how lively they sound and really allows jimmy to emphasize his love for the blues more than he did with zeppelin. it's a fun and unique creation from both of them. whereas mirrorball feels like a pretty run of the mill neil rock record with a younger backing band.
    I like neil and pj better, but they are my two fav bands hard to compete. I did like the crowes and page team up though some great sounding fun sounding stuff.

And for the record there is nothign run of the mill about i'm the ocean :D
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • larslars Posts: 524
    what kind of stupid thread is this
    You can´t trust a vegetarian.
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    I haven't heard the Page/Crowes album only because Jimmy Page played with the Black Crowes????? I hadn't heard about this so I can't give a honest opinion but Merkinball is a great album.
  • katjakatja Posts: 188
    Hey,
    you can't compare those two! It's not fair!
    :confused:
    I love them both and they are sooo different to me!
  • mwachsmanmwachsman Posts: 474
    Live at the Greek by far. Though let me say that I'm not a big Neil Young fan.

I think I'm going to go watch the DVD of Live at the Greek.
    "So, you must really love Led Zeppelin. That’s the oldest shirt I’ve ever seen on someone who wasn’t a bum."
    "Hey, if God didn’t want me to wear it so much, he wouldn’t have made them rock so hard."
  • Live at the Greek
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    cutback wrote:
    I haven't heard the Page/Crowes album only because Jimmy Page played with the Black Crowes????? I hadn't heard about this so I can't give a honest opinion but Merkinball is a great album.

it's called live at the greek and it's fucking incredible.

i didnt know it was a dvd?
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    it's called live at the greek and it's fucking incredible.

That's a great set list.

How does Chris do with the vocals? The review on amazon says he does a good job but I'm curious.
  • adam42381adam42381 Posts: 2,505
    I'm listening to it right now and so far he sounds very good. This album is awesome. Can't believe I hadn't checked it out before now. Thanks for mentioning it. I remember seeing it several years ago but didn't pick it up for whatever reason. Glad I downloaded it tonight!
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
    cutback wrote:
    That's a great set list.

How does Chris do with the vocals? The review on amazon says he does a good job but I'm curious.

he's the only singer ive ever heard who can even attempt to approximate the vocal register of plant. he's got that kinda high pitched voice. he does just great. but the real stars are the band who rock out like it's going out of style.
    I like the Page/Crowes live album better than Mirrorball but it's not really fair to compare a live album of Zep covers to a studio album of originals.

true. but i think even when neil joined pearl jam onstage at various times (like the SF concert in 95), it didnt come close to the kind of knock down drag out show the crowes and page put on.
  • chiquimonkeychiquimonkey Posts: 9,337
    well hit me with a 2x4, i had no idea jimmy page did a show with the black crowes until right now. i'll have to check this out!
    well hit me with a 2x4, i had no idea jimmy page did a show with the black crowes until right now. i'll have to check this out!

it's amazing. im so glad i made this thread. didnt know so many people were unaware of this masterpiece!
  • well hit me with a 2x4, i had no idea jimmy page did a show with the black crowes until right now. i'll have to check this out!

It's a double disc live album called Live at the Greek. BAD ASS version of In My Time of Dying. cool covers too. lots of Physical Grafiti songs. real good stuff
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • chiquimonkeychiquimonkey Posts: 9,337
    it's amazing. im so glad i made this thread. didnt know so many people were unaware of this masterpiece!
    i'm happy i know now!

and physical graffiti tunes? okay that just sold me even more. so much for my self-imposed ban on visiting amoeba records again this month :o haha
    i'm happy i know now!

and physical graffiti tunes? okay that just sold me even more. so much for my self-imposed ban on visiting amoeba records again this month :o haha

i bought almost 30 cd's over the break. all from used shops and i think on average i paid about $4 per cd ;)
    have you heard any of the '95 european tour bootlegs?

im not sure. why?
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014

How can a live album full of COVERS be a masterpiece? Granted, I've never heard or seen it, but still...
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
    DOSW wrote:
    How can a live album full of COVERS be a masterpiece? Granted, I've never heard or seen it, but still...

for what it is, it's a masterpiece. it's not all covers, they're mostly playing page's songs along with a couple blues covers (no crowes songs are included due to contract issues at the time). by that definition, you cannot call any of the early beatles albums masterpieces, nor any ccr album, becos they all had covers on them. nor most rolling stones or hendrix albums, which all included covers as well (satisfaction, all along the watchtower).

what it is is kind of a tribute or compilation of page showing his love of the blues with a bad ass backing band and robertson on vocals. it's amazing. rough, energetic takes on classic zeppelin tracks, old blues standards, etc. it's almost like a history lesson in blues and classic rock. one of its best current bands joining one of its legendary figures in a set of songs that spans the length of rock history from its early blues roots through its golden age to the modern.

there is nothing wrong with live albums. clapton's/nirvana's unplugged, live at leeds. there are some live albums that are masterpieces in the way the artist is revealed. this album kinda does that. it shows the black crowes kinda stepping outside their alternative/jam band fetish and showing what a solid rock band they are and it shows page stepping outside his usual led zep epic mysticism to play an album that is rough, fun, and impressive. like i said, it's almost a 2 hour history lesson and tribute to classic rock.
  • edwhoedwho Posts: 811
    i didnt know it was a dvd?

Bootleg, if I can find the email offer I’ll PM you.
    I like the Page/Crowes live album better than Mirrorball but it's not really fair to compare a live album of Zep covers to a studio album of originals.

Original music vs. covers I can’t compare.

Jimmy Page and the Black Crows toured together in 1999/2000 and it kicked major ass. Chris did an awesome job on vocals but for me the difference was the three guitar attack on those epic songs like In My Time Of Dying and Ten Years Gone. Honorable mention for their drummer and keyboard player as well. They really nailed the songs and Jimmy was firing on all cylinders that tour.

Jimmy Page & the Black Crows Summerfest 6/29/00

Neil Jam Golden Gate Park 7/24/1995

“Hang on, hold it, wait a minute, I didn’t say Jimmy” Robert Plant L.A. 1977

Three Fish

July 1996 San Francisco

June 1999 Chicago

• FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    Have to add my love for the Page/Crowes Live at the Greek album as well. After awhile of not listening to it, hearing Celebration Day start things off always brings a smile.

Chris sounds great. Page and the Crowes guitarists rock out big time. Like edwho said, firing on all cylinders. Steve Gorman is a monster on this record.

Side note: If anyone hasn't picked up the Crowes' Freak n Roll Live CD, do so.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
    well, they were full concerts, not just neil filling in when ed got sick or whatever. they played most of mirrorball, as well as a lot of neil's classics. it was pretty cool hearing the boys back neil on his older songs.

that's what they did in 95 as well. they ran through many of neil's big hits and most of mirror ball. it was a full show and they rocked, but it just felt not as loose and organic as page and the crowes. maybe they got better, but i dunno.
  • hendrix78hendrix78 Posts: 507
    I really dug Mirrorball, but frankly, it didn;t sound that much different from a Neil and Crazy Horse album in my opinion. I thought Neil's personality pretty much dominated the proceedings (not that that's a bad thing, I love Neil).

Live at the Greek is one hell of a live rock n' roll record. Page sounds great on it and Chris Robinson is mind blowingly good on the vocals. He totally nails every song, but in his own style. It doesn't just sound like him trying to mimic Plant.

Neil Young and PJ are some of my favorite artists, but Zeppelin is tied with Jimi for my absolute, all-time favorite, so I have to give it to Live at The Greek.
  • ecd1973ecd1973 Posts: 30
    I'll second the love for Live at the Greek. The crowes sounded just right playing Zeppelin stuff, and Page had a great couple of nights. The set was mixed/recorded really well too, which is a pet peeve of mine when it comes to live discs. Those zep songs really benefit from 3 guitars playing all the parts that Page recorded in the studio.
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.

-- Willy Wonka
  • BAD TITLE... too easy of a contest. You should've done...

neil young/pearl jam vs. jimmy page/puff daddy

9/17/95-New Orleans,LA 8/14/00-New Orleans,LA 4/8/03-New Orleans,LA 4/13/03-Tampa,FL 10/8/04-Kissimmee,FL 8/5/07-Chicago,IL 6/16/08-Columbia,SC 6/23/09-(EV Solo)Atlanta,GA 5/1/10-New Orleans,LA 9/21/12-Pensacola,FL 11/1/13-New Orleans,LA 4/11/16-Tampa,FL  4/23/16-New Orleans,LA

• mwachsmanmwachsman Posts: 474
    Listening to Live at The Greek right now so I had to bump this up for how bad ass it is.
    "So, you must really love Led Zeppelin. That’s the oldest shirt I’ve ever seen on someone who wasn’t a bum."
    "Hey, if God didn’t want me to wear it so much, he wouldn’t have made them rock so hard."
    mwachsman wrote:
    Listening to Live at The Greek right now so I had to bump this up for how bad ass it is.

yeah, sloppy drunk came on my ipod on the way to class this morning. so fucking cool. anyone who hasn't heard this and love rock'n'roll needs to go get it.
  • I love, love, love, Live at the Greek. The Crowes do that shit so good.

I see some people in this thread who had no knowledge of this album. Honestly, i'm more surprised at all the people in here who HAVE heard it. From what i gathered, this album has criminally undersold. I remember at first, you could only buy this album online. I mean, wtf, yeah... Then a few months later they made it available in stores and slapped a couple extra tracks on it. I read a year or so after it came out that that first year it was out, it only sold 40,000 copies. Can you believe that shit?

I dunno... i fuckin love the Crowes, they're my 'other favorite band', but it always seemed to me like they should have been even bigger than they are/were. I mean, yeah, they were big, they still might be considered big by some, but i don't know...it's always felt to me that no matter how much play and press they got, it was never as much as they deserved. Hands down one of the best blues-rock bands ever. I mean, shit... do you know anyone who DOESN'T love them? No, you don't, because no one doesn't like them. There are two types of people in the world: People who love the Crowes, and people who haven't heard Amorica yet.

Sorry for the small rant and language...been drinkin'.
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403

Me too not know about this, thank you soulsing, it's on the list of things to buy on MOnday, and I was in a monster record store yesterday which would have had it too.
    Music is not a competetion.