Options

Tegan and Sara

smithnicsmithnic Posts: 1,559
edited August 2009 in Other Music
I am just getting into this newer band, but I am super impressed. I heard their single on the radio and plus they've been featured on Grey's Anatomy, which I painfully admit to watching quite religiously. Anyway, if you haven't, you should probably check them out.

not bad looking either :D
Go Get 'Em Tigers!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    i just started getting into them too, i downloaded a live EP from itunes and was super impressed, i just picked up their album "so jealous", good stuff!
    'sometimes i have everything, yet i wish i felt something'
  • Options
    eyesnoeyeseyesnoeyes Posts: 50
    Hey,

Tegan and Sara rule! Funnily enough I'm wearing a Tegan and Sara shirt today - they are certainly one of the best Canadian Musical exports of late. All of their albums are great (This business of Art, If it was you, and So Jealous - there's an earlier indie album by them called 'Under Feet like Ours' - but most of the cool songs were redone on This Business of Art). They are great live too! (I would love it if they were tapped for the opening spot on the Canadian PJ tour!)

Glad you are getting into them...
    'She runs through my veins like a long, black river and rattles my cage like a thunderstorm...' R. Adams.
  • Options
    eyesnoeyeseyesnoeyes Posts: 50
    Awesome, weird, I also just realized that I use one of their lines as my sig - I look like the biggest fanboy ever... (but I promise, I'm neither Tegan nor Sara in disguise...)
    'She runs through my veins like a long, black river and rattles my cage like a thunderstorm...' R. Adams.
  • Options
    DocChicagoDocChicago Posts: 653
    eyesnoeyes wrote:
    I promise, I'm neither Tegan nor Sara in disguise...)

I don't mind the music, but those haircuts have got to go.
    (there's a profound thought for my 1000th post).
    It is time to admit that we used to rock like hurricanes. It is time to run for the hills and go round and round. It is time for us to shout at the devil. We've got the right to choose it, there ain't no way we'll lose it, and we're not gonna take it anymore.
    - C. Klosterman
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I like them, I don't think i like them enough to own their album but they are tollerable. I saw them open for neil young on his 2000 tour.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    pjbugs007pjbugs007 Posts: 1,099
    intodeep wrote:
    I like them, I don't think i like them enough to own their album but they are tollerable. I saw them open for neil young on his 2000 tour.

Same here Bush Crew;) saw them open up for the Pretenders who in turn opened for Neil!!
  • Options
    oktacomaoktacoma Posts: 335
    I just can't get into the single "Walking with a ghost." I'm sure the rest of their stuff is better but I really don't like that song.
  • Options
    sickwilliesickwillie Posts: 178
    Nice to see all you Americans digging on our homegrown Canadian twin rock chicks! Can I interest you in some Bryan Adams?

By the way, just so we're clear, that last part was humour, okay? Don't ban me, please!
    "We've done really well with teenage death songs." -EV
  • Options
    trappedinmyradiotrappedinmyradio Posts: 1,189
    smithnic wrote:
    I am just getting into this newer band, but I am super impressed. I heard their single on the radio and plus they've been featured on Grey's Anatomy, which I painfully admit to watching quite religiously. Anyway, if you haven't, you should probably check them out.

not trying to be a dick - they're not that new - but they are good...glad you caught on! :)
    I'll dig a tunnel
    from my window to yours
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    pjbugs007 wrote:
    Same here Bush Crew;) saw them open up for the Pretenders who in turn opened for Neil!!

ahh don't remind me of the pretenders i'm still trying to scratch that hour out of my brain it was painful.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    smithnicsmithnic Posts: 1,559
    not trying to be a dick - they're not that new - but they are good...glad you caught on! :)

I knew someone would get me on this

I never have my proverbial finger on the pulse of new music. I just heard about the Shins just before Garden State, and I think there's this great new Seattle band that is touring Canada. I hope to check them out soon.
    :p
    Go Get 'Em Tigers!
  • Options
    letsongsprotestletsongsprotest Novi, MI Posts: 548
    bought So Jealous on an impulse yesterday because I've heard of them. Very impressed with the album. Super catchy, good stuff
    There's a trapdoor in the sun.
  • Options
    rhinomagicrhinomagic Charlottesville, VA Posts: 2,549
    smithnic wrote:

The music director for Grey's Anatomy would seem to be a big fan of Tegan and Sara. They've gotten lots of exposure on the show--which I also admit to watching faithfully.

I know I shouldn't watch such mindless TV, but at least they utilize good music.
    Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
  • Options
    gusturtlegusturtle Posts: 440
    i've never heard them before.
  • Options
    itsevobabyitsevobaby Posts: 1,809
    The Con is superb, look forward to hearing the new album. Great to see Chris Walla back in the producers seat too, love his sound.

EDIT: Anyone know when the new album is due out? I did hear the name of it recently but it's slipped my mind already
    Look Alive,
    See These Bones
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,419
    NOFX wrote a song about them on their latest album "Coaster." (Or "Frisbee" if you buy it on vinyl.) It's pretty funny, typical NOFX stuff.
  • Options
    TravelarTravelar Kalamazoo, USA Posts: 3,359
    Gotta say, I like T&S. First saw them around 2000 and picked up This Business of Art. I thought it was really good, so I've continued to follow them.
  • Options
    Travelar said:

Gotta say, I like T&S. First saw them around 2000 and picked up This Business of Art. I thought it was really good, so I've continued to follow them.

Still think their first two albums are the best. The Business of Art and Under feet like Ours.

Going to see them on monday! Hyped!
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options

NOFX wrote a song about them on their latest album "Coaster." (Or "Frisbee" if you buy it on vinyl.) It's pretty funny, typical NOFX stuff.

What's great about this thread being revived is that when I posted this, I had never listened to Tegan & Sara. It was only a couple months after this that Sainthood was released and a friend of mine hooked me up with a digital copy. How quickly I went down the rabbit hole and they turned into one of my top 5 current bands. (Though I admit I still don't own nor have listened to LYTD.)
  • Options
    They are touring and I think I missed them again...
  • Options

They are touring and I think I missed them again...

I'm not gonna. :P

Just too bad my ex who got me into them isn't part of my life anymore.... hopefully she's not there...

The opening act sounded great too.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Great show - cool to get to hear Livingroom live!

Too bad they're going all in on the "search for a huge POP hit" because I miss seeing them with a guitar or atleast using an instrument.
  • Options

Too bad they're going all in on the "search for a huge POP hit" because I miss seeing them with a guitar or atleast using an instrument.

^ I've been thinking of getting into their music, I think they're super cool. But it seems like most of the stuff I know of is very pop-y which isn't for me. Is their older stuff more rock oriented?
  • Options
    darthvedderdarthvedder Posts: 2,480

^ I've been thinking of getting into their music, I think they're super cool. But it seems like most of the stuff I know of is very pop-y which isn't for me. Is their older stuff more rock oriented?
    It's more indie and folk oriented. I saw them at the Bridge School Benefit in 2004 and 2007, and at a headlining show in 2014. The change was remarkable.
  • Options

It's more indie and folk oriented. I saw them at the Bridge School Benefit in 2004 and 2007, and at a headlining show in 2014. The change was remarkable.
    Interesting, thanks for the input. Yeah I've only really known them as pop stars but I'll give it a whirl anyways, never know right!
  • Options
    ^
    "All You Got" from This Business of Art is one of my favorite songs of theirs. Played on Pandora earlier.
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,079
    edited February 2017

Interesting, thanks for the input. Yeah I've only really known them as pop stars but I'll give it a whirl anyways, never know right!
    My favorite albums of theirs are the first 4 albums: Under feet like ours, This business of Art, If it was you and So Jealous. All rocking.

But I enjoy all their albums, even the two latest which are very "poppy". But still (very) good.

EDIT: Just wanna add - my absolute favorite album Is If it Was You.. I think that's a good starting off point too.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,547
    Really digging "I'm Not Your Hero" right now.
  • Options
    My favorite is still  Is If it Was You, if someone is wondering.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,605
    edited January 2018
    These two managed to be the most awkward act on stage that I have ever seen in my life, lol. They opened for the Killers, maybe in 2010 or something?? Anyway, they were dancing like total dorks with no energy and people sfart3d laughing awkwardly at them. Then they started babbling about So You Think You Can Dance or some shit, trying to be funny, and I never knew it was possible to hear crickets in an arena full of 15000 people, but Tegan & Sara totally proved it was possible. :lol: One of the worst openers I have ever seen. I mean I really hated them, lol. That caused me to never listen to them again, so I have no clue of they got better. Perhaps I should forgive their faux pas performance and give them another try. Perhaps they got better.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata