Neil Young Living With War

crazycommisarcrazycommisar Posts: 60
edited July 2006 in Other Music
anyone else have this CD yet? Have been listening to it for awhile, and have loved it. Definitely would fit in more in the 60's and 70's then with popular music today. Coming from Young, that shouldnt be a surprise. My favorite songs have been Impeach the President, Flags of Freedom, and Shock and Awe. Anyone else have this, if so what have you thought of it?
If pro is the opposite of con, what is the opposite of progress?

MSU Class of '10
James Madison School of International Relations
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• beachdwellerbeachdweller Posts: 1,532
    yeah, I bought it right away, and love it. Neil's a genius, and an amazing lyricists. The music has a Neil w/Crazy Horse feel, and a 60/70's lyrics.

We needed Neil to take the reigns and let artists know it's ok, though Ed has never backed down, with the backlash against the Dixie Chicks a few years ago, I think now everyone knows it's ok to speak out. Seems only punk bands, that usually fly under the radar, have spoken out against Bush on a regular basis the last several years.

Hopefully Neil opened the floodgates.
    "Music, for me, was fucking heroin." eV (nothing Ed has said is more true for me personally than this quote)

Stop by:
    http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=14678777351&ref=mf
  • Clifwith1fClifwith1f Posts: 143
    You guys make it seem worthwhile. I may have to go pick that up.
  • yeah, I bought it right away, and love it. Neil's a genius, and an amazing lyricists. The music has a Neil w/Crazy Horse feel, and a 60/70's lyrics.

We needed Neil to take the reigns and let artists know it's ok, though Ed has never backed down, with the backlash against the Dixie Chicks a few years ago, I think now everyone knows it's ok to speak out. Seems only punk bands, that usually fly under the radar, have spoken out against Bush on a regular basis the last several years.

Hopefully Neil opened the floodgates.

Yeah. Rock and Roll artists never question authority or Bush lol.
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    i tryed to buy it but couldn't find a copy.:(
  • TravelarTravelar Kalamazoo, USA Posts: 3,385
    brain of c wrote:
    i tryed to buy it but couldn't find a copy.:(

Keep looking. It's shipping direct from manufacturing. This means two things. One, it gets to the stores faster. Two, it doesn't get to every store right away, but it will.

I picked it up at my local indie store this weekend, and it's definately a great album. It's got a classic Neil vibe to it and it sounds great. Whether or not you agree with the whole disc, it's definately worth spinning a few times.
  • pearlzepfanpearlzepfan Posts: 456
    There's only two problems I have with the album

1. The part where he chants "Flip Flop" over sound bites of George W. talking
    and
    2. The last song I thought should have been left out and just ended with "Roger and Out" which has now become my favorite song on the album.

but overall, it's a great album
    "I'm a thief, and I dig it"
  • There's only two problems I have with the album

1. The part where he chants "Flip Flop" over sound bites of George W. talking
    and
    2. The last song I thought should have been left out and just ended with "Roger and Out" which has now become my favorite song on the album.

but overall, it's a great album

What don't you like about the "Flip Flop" portion of the song with W soundbites mixed in. I like it. Puts things in perspective.

I really like After the Garden too and Looking For A Leader.
    Casper, WY 06/16/95
    Park City, UT 06/21/98
    Mountain View, CA 06/01/03
    San Diego, CA 07/07/06
    San Francisco, CA 07/15/06
  • MineAmIMineAmI Posts: 114
    i am impressed.

great great album, much better than i expected
    we were but stones....your light made us stars
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I like the Flip flop portion. It puts meaning to what he is saying and i could see in a live version the crowd chanting flip flop i would be excited to hear it.

I do love roger and out but i think that the last song is on there for a great reason. To make sure people know it's not an anit american album it is the oppisite a concerned statement by a tax paying citizen.

I can't get past after the garden sounding like downtown (neil's 70's song downtown not the one he did with PJ) The beat is too similar I keep hearing neil sayind "Come on baby lets go downtonwn let's go let's go let's go!"
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    I'm listening to so much PJ right now, but we popped it in on the way back from Toronto, and I liked it. I can't refer to specific songs, having listened to it only once yet, but my 11 year old daughter was following along with the lyrics (she thought she was too cool to listen to Young Neil but the minute it started she was following along with the lyrics in the car), and when a part about wiretapping came up, she asked 'can they do that', which gave me the perfect opportunity for a mini lecture on the patriot act, and how the government enacts things when our back is turned and when average citizens aren't paying attention. Neil opened a young one's eyes that day. Even if we never play it again (we will) he's had an effect already.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
    neil really outdid himself.

I read, he was waiting for the next generation to make a protest record, and he was tired of waiting.

This album is top notch. It captures everything.

I love how pissed of he is. Its right for this time in history.

The references to the war causing thousands of scarred people, children scarred for life is profound.
  • I really love The Restless Consumer...great rocking tune!

"Sitting on a cornflake, waiting for the van to come...."
  • I hate to blaspheme, but when taken in context of the time from idea conception to the record store shelf, this may even be better than, GASP, Pearl Jam's new effort. At best, it's tied for me. I love both, and am largely more a PJ fan, but you've got to give Neil his props on this. It reminds me of the story of "four dead in Ohio" where he upon hearing the Kent State news, left the room and came back like 20 minutes later with words and music. He finished this album quickly, my only critique is the recording quality of the vocals, including the 100 voice chorus, but it's a instant classic. I don't think he's recorded with this kind of fire and youth since "rockin' in the free world". I agree that the Restless Consumer is the standout here, I like the concept of Let's Impeach The President, but it doesn't rock as well, or have the same anger. The horns are great too!
    "The one's who love us best, are the one's we'll lay to rest. Visit their graves on holidays, at best. The one's who love us least, are the one's we'll die to please..." The Replacements

www.first-avenue.com
  • merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    my only critique is the recording quality of the vocals, including the 100 voice chorus, but it's a instant classic. I don't think he's recorded with this kind of fire and youth since "rockin' in the free world".

First of all, great username. Always makes me happy to see Jeffs 'Wellstone!' sticker still on his bass.

I love the use of the chorus, although Neils vocals are mixed a bit low. But it sounds a lot better than I thought it would, and really serves to underscore the message that its not just Neil that has these feelings about the current state of America, but a large percentage of the population. I think it was a stroke of genius to use the chorus after listening to it a few times.

I think Sun Green and Be The Rain specifically from Greendale captured similar energy to this disc, definately a precursor to LWW.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • merkinball wrote:
    First of all, great username. Always makes me happy to see Jeffs 'Wellstone!' sticker still on his bass.

I love the use of the chorus, although Neils vocals are mixed a bit low. But it sounds a lot better than I thought it would, and really serves to underscore the message that its not just Neil that has these feelings about the current state of America, but a large percentage of the population. I think it was a stroke of genius to use the chorus after listening to it a few times.

I think Sun Green and Be The Rain specifically from Greendale captured similar energy to this disc, definately a precursor to LWW.

Yes, I want to clarify that I love the chorus itself, especially on Let's Impeach... and The Restless Consumer. It's just that the input level is low, and I can only imagine how powerful it could have sounded on record. But, it's a minor complaint, and is overshadowed by the realness and rawness of this effort. He sounds like a little kid to me, and I love it. I wish someone like Natalie Merchant would go all out like this, she's such a great lyricist and expressionist. I wonder how much chance he has for airplay or TV appearances with this album, David Letterman, I'm talking to you buddy.
    "The one's who love us best, are the one's we'll lay to rest. Visit their graves on holidays, at best. The one's who love us least, are the one's we'll die to please..." The Replacements

www.first-avenue.com
  • intodeep wrote:
    I like the Flip flop portion. It puts meaning to what he is saying and i could see in a live version the crowd chanting flip flop i would be excited to hear it.

I do love roger and out but i think that the last song is on there for a great reason. To make sure people know it's not an anit american album it is the oppisite a concerned statement by a tax paying citizen.

I can't get past after the garden sounding like downtown (neil's 70's song downtown not the one he did with PJ) The beat is too similar I keep hearing neil sayind "Come on baby lets go downtonwn let's go let's go let's go!"

i hadn't thought about the possibilty of a flip flop chant at the concerts intodeep...i'm sure that will happen. very cool. :)

roger and out is a fantastic song, i think, a real throwback to neil's 60's stuff, with an updated sound and message that kind of ties the two eras together quite nicley.

i would have to say that the version of the 100 voice choir doing america the beautiful sends chills up my spine. it's absolutley gorgeous! some of the choir members were crying after the take, like david crosby did after they recorded ohio. i can't say enough good things about music that is this passionate, so passionate that it brings people to tears!...and you're right, if people hadn't already receieved the message that the album really is quite pro american, pro freedom, and anti - war, then that song should certainly drive the point home.

i hadn't heard the "downtown" in after the garden, i'll give it another listen...for the x hundreth time :D ...hopefully you haven't planted the compsrison in my ears ! :D
  • JaneNY wrote:
    I'm listening to so much PJ right now, but we popped it in on the way back from Toronto, and I liked it. I can't refer to specific songs, having listened to it only once yet, but my 11 year old daughter was following along with the lyrics (she thought she was too cool to listen to Young Neil but the minute it started she was following along with the lyrics in the car), and when a part about wiretapping came up, she asked 'can they do that', which gave me the perfect opportunity for a mini lecture on the patriot act, and how the government enacts things when our back is turned and when average citizens aren't paying attention. Neil opened a young one's eyes that day. Even if we never play it again (we will) he's had an effect already.

great story janeny. thanks for sharing. :)
  • merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    Check out Neil's website, he's put up some 'making of' video of Lets Impeach the President:

http://www.neilyoung.com/lww/lww.html
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • KricketKricket Posts: 707
    Did you guys see Kevin Spacey on SNL last wkend? I was at the Cleveland show so I missed it but it's up on utube if you wanta check it out...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zO076LcG8RM&search=%22Neil%20Young%22

I luv Neil but this is funny.
  • thanks kricket, that was pretty funny :D
    thanks kricket, that was pretty funny :D

No prob...told yah it was funny ;)
  • gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    Just wanted to resurrect this thread. I like to think of it as a political Crazy Horse album without the solos. Which to say you kind of trade out one good thing for another. I personally would have just loved another rockin' Crazy Horse album but I do very much like this one. All the songs tend to have a similar groove which makes for easier listening to the entire album but doesn't lend itself to absolute standout tracks IMO.
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    great album that i still have to pick up... i am still pissed i didnt go to the CSNY concert the other night...it snuck up on me i guess :(
    my2hands wrote:
    great album that i still have to pick up... i am still pissed i didnt go to the CSNY concert the other night...it snuck up on me i guess :(

The set list haven't been that great thou...I don't know I'm going to see them in Detroit but I'm gonna see how tonight goes in Toronto and maybe I'll hit N2 tomorrow. It's hard not to go knowing that Neil is in Toronto!
  • neartodeathneartodeath Posts: 167
    living with war is THE perfect centerpiece around this new csny tour

neil is still my hero

the freedom fighters will prevail
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    Shock & fucking Awe, Awesome song, brilliant album really enjoying it apart from America The Beautiful.
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • neartodeathneartodeath Posts: 167
    Shock & fucking Awe, Awesome song, brilliant album really enjoying it apart from America The Beautiful.

ya thats the only song i skip as well :)