Jack Muthafuckin Johnson

Gremmie95Gremmie95 Posts: 749
edited August 2006 in Other Music
Any love for a homeboy from SoCal????? Dude writes great music.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    safe, middle of the road, inoffensive,tedious music for the over 40's - I kind of liked it the first time I heard it, but it's pushed as background music for family barbeques over here in the UK. I dunno, maybe I'm being harsh.....
  • Low_Light03Low_Light03 Posts: 1,227
    I'm a big Jack fan. I saw him at the Santa Barbara Bowl last year. Great energy. I thought it was going to be all mellow but it was great.
    If You Give, You Begin To Live

But You Might Die Trying
  • I'm spinning some JmfknJ as we speak, nice to see it as the top post as I come on over to the board. On and On is a sweet album. He's so mellow all the way through. Great stuff. I had no idea who he was when he got on stage at the 03 Santa Barbara show.
  • mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,868
    safe, middle of the road, inoffensive,tedious music for the over 40's - I kind of liked it the first time I heard it, but it's pushed as background music for family barbeques over here in the UK. I dunno, maybe I'm being harsh.....
    nope you nailed it. But you forgot to mention that its formulatic and he releases the same album every time.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • Gremmie95Gremmie95 Posts: 749
    Ah come on, it's great mood music. Nothing wrong with some nice harmony and acoustic flow.
  • Alone.Alone. Posts: 54
    nope you nailed it. But you forgot to mention that its formulatic and he releases the same album every time.

hahahaha! soo true!

his stuff is way to mellow for my cochlea to handle. gives me a headache.
  • The keyword is "insipid". It's just some guy singin with nothin to say. Fine as background music, or if ya like Curious George, but even Cinderella had more substance. :)
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • but even Cinderella had more substance. :)

Are you kidding me? You've obviously never listened to him or you would know that a lot of his stuff has substance. Besides, he's a Hawaiian surfing stoner, and that's what his music is all about. What's wrong with mellow out music? Does it all have to be intense with a lot of volume?
  • Jack Johnzzzzzzon
  • Jammin909Jammin909 Posts: 888
    Are you kidding me? You've obviously never listened to him or you would know that a lot of his stuff has substance. Besides, he's a Hawaiian surfing stoner, and that's what his music is all about. What's wrong with mellow out music? Does it all have to be intense with a lot of volume?

Yeah, the Hawaiian stoner/surfer is the image he banks on. Oh wow, this lame stoner is from HAWAII, I must buy his boring music!?? I really dont care if he was from North Dakota and sat around his house beating it all day in the rain.

There is nothing wrong with chill out music but I have a problem with Jack Johnson making it bc I think he is corny and talentless.
    The less you know, the more you believe.
  • mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
    courtesy of Dr. David thorpe

Chapter V: Anyone who doesn’t hate Jack Johnson should be shot.

Back in the 60s, the appeal of earnest men with acoustic guitars was that they often had something to say. With the recent revival of Nick Drake’s popularity, it was of course inevitable that a new generation of acoustic sad-sacks would rise up to fill his shoes. Across the pond, bands like Travis and Starsailor took up the soft-rocking melodic mantle, but of course, they sucked like few bands had sucked in decades (I once had the acute misfortune of seeing Starsailor opening for another band, and I was quite amused when the singer/guitarist drooled a magnificent string of drool whilst thrashing away on his guitar- I yelled out “Hey! That guy just drooled!” but nobody else seemed to be as amused as I was).

However, American tastes don’t run quite deep enough to appreciate such nuanced lyrics as “Why does it always rain on me?”, so American labels decided to find something even lamer to fill in the mellow-rock void. But, Jesus, whose brilliant idea was it to give record deals to those smarmy date-rapist semi-jocks who play their acoustic guitars under the big oak tree in front of the dorms? It seems that rather than reviving the revolutionary spirit of folk music, the industry has finally decided to cash in on the buying power of a major college-age demographic: the infuriating hemp-necklaced Abercrombie-clad faux-surfer bastards who are always raising their hands in your Spanish class and asking how to say “four twenty” as a means of pandering for high-fives to the retarded clones they consider friends. Who else but these idiotic, cultureless half-wits would be caught dead listening to somebody as unabashedly un-cool as Jack Johnson, or worse yet, the fish-faced Dave Matthews homunculus John Mayer?

It may surprise you, but I listen to the radio a lot. No, I don’t like most of the music that gets played, but as an angry music nerd I would be derelict in my research responsibilities if I didn’t keep up with popular music. The local cesspool of a “Modern Rock” station is perhaps the most mentally corrosive of all the stations in my town. Like every other station in its format, it’s infested with Linkin Park, P.O.D, Creed, and whatever other collection of dropout scrap-piles corporate America has decided to shove down your throat this week.

Even amid this sea of troubles I remain resolute in my quest not to lose touch with what people are listening to; however, if there’s one thing that can always make me instantly snap off the radio, it’s Jack Johnson. I don’t even change the station when he comes on. He is so superhumanly bad that he ruins my resolve to listen to any music at all for the next half hour or so. I don’t know if it’s his ridiculous, affected, implacable accent, or his dimwitted sensitive-man lyrics that make me hate him so much. Maybe it’s his dorm-quality acoustic guitar slapping. Perhaps it’s the fact that every line he sings sounds so fucking smug that I want to slap him in the mouth. Maybe it’s that fact that nobody has had so many variations of the same song on the air since back when Oasis was actually famous. Over all else, I think the thing that makes him most loathsome is that he’s a smug, talentless hack who waltzed his way into the music world despite his total lack of qualification, much like a spiky-haired, well-to-do Gap-clothed Ben Harper fan waltzing his way into UC Santa Cruz.
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb
  • mrwalkerb wrote:

Back in the 60s, the appeal of earnest men with acoustic guitars was that they often had something to say. With the recent revival of Nick Drake’s popularity, it was of course inevitable that a new generation of acoustic sad-sacks would rise up to fill his shoes. Across the pond, bands like Travis and Starsailor took up the soft-rocking melodic mantle, but of course, they sucked like few bands had sucked in decades (I once had the acute misfortune of seeing Starsailor opening for another band, and I was quite amused when the singer/guitarist drooled a magnificent string of drool whilst thrashing away on his guitar- I yelled out “Hey! That guy just drooled!” but nobody else seemed to be as amused as I was).

However, American tastes don’t run quite deep enough to appreciate such nuanced lyrics as “Why does it always rain on me?”, so American labels decided to find something even lamer to fill in the mellow-rock void. But, Jesus, whose brilliant idea was it to give record deals to those smarmy date-rapist semi-jocks who play their acoustic guitars under the big oak tree in front of the dorms? It seems that rather than reviving the revolutionary spirit of folk music, the industry has finally decided to cash in on the buying power of a major college-age demographic: the infuriating hemp-necklaced Abercrombie-clad faux-surfer bastards who are always raising their hands in your Spanish class and asking how to say “four twenty” as a means of pandering for high-fives to the retarded clones they consider friends. Who else but these idiotic, cultureless half-wits would be caught dead listening to somebody as unabashedly un-cool as Jack Johnson, or worse yet, the fish-faced Dave Matthews homunculus John Mayer?

It may surprise you, but I listen to the radio a lot. No, I don’t like most of the music that gets played, but as an angry music nerd I would be derelict in my research responsibilities if I didn’t keep up with popular music. The local cesspool of a “Modern Rock” station is perhaps the most mentally corrosive of all the stations in my town. Like every other station in its format, it’s infested with Linkin Park, P.O.D, Creed, and whatever other collection of dropout scrap-piles corporate America has decided to shove down your throat this week.

Even amid this sea of troubles I remain resolute in my quest not to lose touch with what people are listening to; however, if there’s one thing that can always make me instantly snap off the radio, it’s Jack Johnson. I don’t even change the station when he comes on. He is so superhumanly bad that he ruins my resolve to listen to any music at all for the next half hour or so. I don’t know if it’s his ridiculous, affected, implacable accent, or his dimwitted sensitive-man lyrics that make me hate him so much. Maybe it’s his dorm-quality acoustic guitar slapping. Perhaps it’s the fact that every line he sings sounds so fucking smug that I want to slap him in the mouth. Maybe it’s that fact that nobody has had so many variations of the same song on the air since back when Oasis was actually famous. Over all else, I think the thing that makes him most loathsome is that he’s a smug, talentless hack who waltzed his way into the music world despite his total lack of qualification, much like a spiky-haired, well-to-do Gap-clothed Ben Harper fan waltzing his way into UC Santa Cruz.

Classic.
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,280
    I like JJ.
  • i love me some jack johnson. it may be mellow, but i love it. i wish i could write lyrics like him. of course no music is for everyone, believe it or not there are some people out there who hate pearl jam... :-)
    VHC member #155***

Ft Lauderdale '96:::West Palm Beach '98:::Tampa '00:::Tampa '03:::Camden 1&2 '06::: DC '06:::West Palm Beach '08:::Tampa '08:::Columbia '08:::Virginia Beach '08

• Jack was one of my favourites a few years ago, but after the release of "In Between Dreams" his latest album, I've grown further and further. I hate to say it but I think it's because of his popularity, which totally seems stupid but I think that's why.

Not just him becoming way more popular after this album, but the crowd that he has become more popular with, if that makes sense? Freinds of mine who I used to show Jack to would say "eww how can you listen to this??" but now since it's "the cool thing to do" they have his album in the car telling me "don't you love Jack?, he's so awesome!!"

Stuff like that pisses me off, and it's sad really, that because of other people I can lose touch with someone who I really liked. :(

I still listen to Jack ocassionally by myself or with my girlfreind but not nearly as much.......

I know that I'm a true Jack fan, and that I liked him before people had ever heard of him and I guess that's all that matters :) And hopefully when this fad passes I can still listen as much as I used to.

Brushfire Fairytales and On & On are still great albums IMO. :D
    "I Miss You Already!!!!!"

"Sorry is the fool who trades his love for high-rise rent, Seems the more you make equals the loneliness you get"

.NJD.
  • jrms09jrms09 Posts: 16
    the sound track for curious george is amazing,,,,.. it relaxes me...

especially "broken" and "upside down"
    A piece of my heart goes out with every single one of them. A PIECE OF MY HEART!!!
    Jack was one of my favourites a few years ago, but after the release of "In Between Dreams" his latest album, I've grown further and further. I hate to say it but I think it's because of his popularity, which totally seems stupid but I think that's why..............

i wrote a paper in school of why its okay to hate or be annoyed with indie music that becomes popular.

It basically centered around the analogy of indie music being like a fine wine, and Popular music being like Coors Light. Now you being the indie fan/fan of fine wine, have taken the time to research the wine, taste it in detail, find all of its flavor notes and subtleties, and savors the fine wine that you've worked hard to find.

Then all of a sudden Mr. popular Mass/Coors light comes along and gets a glimpse of this wine you're intricately enjoying. This person then comes up and starts guzzling and chugging it down not even caring about the flavor and essentially just drinking it for the alcohol content and to say the he drinks Fine wine.

And that is why we have the right to be pissed off about indie music becoming popular because of the large mass of ignorant Popular music fans who have no respect for what makes indie music good, and only like its because it's cool and they want to be a part of it even though they dont know why its good.
  • i wrote a paper in school of why its okay to hate or be annoyed with indie music that becomes popular.

It basically centered around the analogy of indie music being like a fine wine, and Popular music being like Coors Light. Now you being the indie fan/fan of fine wine, have taken the time to research the wine, taste it in detail, find all of its flavor notes and subtleties, and savors the fine wine that you've worked hard to find.

Then all of a sudden Mr. popular Mass/Coors light comes along and gets a glimpse of this wine you're intricately enjoying. This person then comes up and starts guzzling and chugging it down not even caring about the flavor and essentially just drinking it for the alcohol content and to say the he drinks Fine wine.

And that is why we have the right to be pissed off about indie music becoming popular because of the large mass of ignorant Popular music fans who have no respect for what makes indie music good, and only like its because it's cool and they want to be a part of it even though they dont know why its good.

Great, thanks so much mook. :)

That was so good to read and really made things alot clearer, even for me. :)

Really, that was perfect.
    "I Miss You Already!!!!!"

"Sorry is the fool who trades his love for high-rise rent, Seems the more you make equals the loneliness you get"

.NJD.
  • Gremmie95Gremmie95 Posts: 749
    mrwalkerb wrote:

wow, that was a waste of 3.5 minutes of my life.
  • mrwalkerb wrote:

wow...you are really bitter about this. i wish i could come up with as lengthy an explanation as to why i don't like fall out boy.
    VHC member #155***

Ft Lauderdale '96:::West Palm Beach '98:::Tampa '00:::Tampa '03:::Camden 1&2 '06::: DC '06:::West Palm Beach '08:::Tampa '08:::Columbia '08:::Virginia Beach '08

• mca47mca47 Posts: 13,280
    wow...you are really bitter about this. i wish i could come up with as lengthy an explanation as to why i don't like fall out boy.

Yeah, that's pretty sad. Oh well...I like Jack and I like his music. It's not for everyone, just like PJ isn't for everyone. Crazy people!
  • mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015

if you guys read the first words I wrote it was "courtesy of Dr. David Thorpe" which means I was just passing it on. But the line anyone who doesn't hate Jack Johnson should be shot" is too funny.

by the way in case you guys want to miss the joke on several other bands (the best is the Mars Volta) you should check out http://www.somethingawful/yourbandsucks probably the funniest site of all time.
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb
  • pjfan020pjfan020 Posts: 426
    personally, jack johnson is a talentless ben harper to me. simple guitar work and simple lyrics that repeat themselves on every album. His melodies are always the same and he never branches out with any of his music. Ben harper however, can do the chilled out acoustic stuff with blues, soul, folk, and everything else in between. Not to mention a sick ass slide guitar player.
    "Tonight we're just gonna play you some good old American Rock and Roll." tom petty-7-15-05
  • ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,761
    I am a big fan of Jack Johnson. Anyone who says his guitar is basic and repetitive doesn't play the instrument. I have been playing for 7+ years and his music is no pushover, some songs are very basic, but others are very complicated.

I really enjoy all of his albums. On and On is a great album, and I love the addition of piano on In Between Dreams. I really wish he toured more, I have never got the chance to see him
  • pjfan020pjfan020 Posts: 426
    I am a big fan of Jack Johnson. Anyone who says his guitar is basic and repetitive doesn't play the instrument. I have been playing for 7+ years and his music is no pushover, some songs are very basic, but others are very complicated.

I really enjoy all of his albums. On and On is a great album, and I love the addition of piano on In Between Dreams. I really wish he toured more, I have never got the chance to see him

oh ok, i guess that playing guitar for five years makes me a shitty guitarist who doesn't know repetative guitar work when i hear it. i guess i'll have to come back to this thread in a couple years when i'm at your level.

to quote homer simpson, "in case you didn't know, i was being sarcastic."
    "Tonight we're just gonna play you some good old American Rock and Roll." tom petty-7-15-05
  • bharQbharQ Posts: 1,201
    Gremmie95 wrote:
    Any love for a homeboy from SoCal????? Dude writes great music.

soulless.
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,868

you can polish a turd with "fancy" guitar work but in the end if it still sounds like a turd, then it's shit.
  • NitroNitro Posts: 265
    I am very much into JJ's music. I understand the earlier quote about him getting popular and I totally understand that. I first got into it when I saw him open for Ben Harper and noone was even in the audience yet. Incredible show.

Since, I have enjoyed all of his CDs, and his show with G. Love and Donavon Frankenreiter a couple years ago was just unreal. The lineup was too perfect.

I definitely recommend getting the last couple G. Love cds and for sure check out DF. He's nasty as well.