Which Song saved your life?

Handsome DevilHandsome Devil Posts: 143
edited November 2007 in Other Music
List your song.

I'll start.
Morrissey-Break up the Family

Morrissey said it best in this song RUBBER RING.
"But don't forget the songs
That made you cry
And the songs that saved your life
Yes, you're older now
And you're a clever swine
But they were the only ones who ever stood by you"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Temple of a Dog- Times of Trouble

It rang clear when i was a young teenager.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    I always find this a mildly amusing concept but I will admit that the one time I was low enough to do something stupid to myself (though I wouldn't have), the only song that seemed to mean anything was Black. So if any song had ever saved my life, it would have been that.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    Pearl jam- present tense and red Mosquito
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    I always find this a mildly amusing concept.

likewise. the only thing that saved my life was being too drunk to pick a proper knife. it's tough to slit your wrists with a butter knife ;)

a few songs helped me make peace with dying though. elliott smith comes to mind.
    likewise. the only thing that saved my life was being too drunk to pick a proper knife. it's tough to slit your wrists with a butter knife ;)

a few songs helped me make peace with dying though. elliott smith comes to mind.
    :D this also amused me, if you don't mind me mocking a serious thing :)

Elliott Smith is a good one.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Anywhere I Lay My Head by Tom Waits
    not sure if I could say that it 'saved my life', but definitely helped me get through some depression...
    like a cloud dropping rain, i'm discarding all though... i'll dry up... leaving puddles on the ground...
  • none
  • JordyWordyJordyWordy Posts: 2,261
    when i find myself in a bad state (mentally - not hurting myself, but when really down or whatever), i tend to stay up all nite, lying down (outside if possible) while listening to...

Bright Eyes - Landlocked Blues, We Are Nowhere And Its Now
    Bob Dylan - Ballad Of A Thin Man (no idea why?? hilarious song)
    Sigur Ros - Vaka
    and Muse's "Showbiz" album. all of that album. very therapeutic music

best pearl jam songs for it for me are Release, PT, Cant Keep, Black, and (no idea why) - Tremor Christ. a good fable to help exercise some demons!
  • hodgehodge Posts: 519
    i would say Lateralus gave me a new outlook on life
    ..and you will come to find that we are all one mind, capable of all that's imagined and all conceivable
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    List your song.

I'll start.
    Morrissey-Break up the Family

Morrissey said it best in this song RUBBER RING.
    "But don't forget the songs
    That made you cry
    And the songs that saved your life
    Yes, you're older now
    And you're a clever swine
    But they were the only ones who ever stood by you"

This post makes me wanna puke
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • good charlotte's new song makes me want to kill myself. . .i save myself by NOT listening to it
    i have wished for so long, how i wish for you today
    JEFFREY ROSS ROGERS 1975-2002

9.10.98 NYC / 8.23.00 JONES BEACH /4.30.03 UNIONDALE / 7.9.03 NYC /5.12.06 ALBANY/ 6.1.06 E.RUTHEFORD/ 6.3.06 E. RUTHEFORD/ CAMDEN 6.19.08/ NYC 6.24.08/ NYC 6.25.08/ HARTFORD 6.27.08/ CHICAGO 8.24.09/ PHILLY 10.31.09/ HARTFORD 5.15.10/ NEWARK 5.18.10/ NYC 5.20.10/ CHICAGO 7.19.13/ BROOKLYN 10.18.13/ BROOKLYN 10.19.13/ HARTFORD 10.25.13/ NYC 9.26.15/ 4.8.16 FT. LAUDERDALE/ 4.9.16 MIAMI / 5.1.16 NYC/ 5.2.16 NYC / 8.5.16 BOSTON / 8.7.16 BOSTON/ 8.20.18 CHICAGO/ 9.2.18 BOSTON/ 9.4.18 BOSTON/ 9.18.21 ASBURY PARK

finally, FUCK TICKETMASTER
    Wow, just looked at the posts you made and it looks like 98% of the posts you make are about Morrissey and The Smiths..........why not join a forum about them rather than talking about those miserable assholes on here?
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

• iamsampjiamsampj Posts: 784
    i don't think i've ever been to that point, but ben harper's "please bleed" helped me through a pretty brutal breakup from my ex-fiance in college.
    yes...i do feel like a human. i do not feel like a tree.
  • The Man has a branch office in each of our brains, his corporate emblem is a white albatross, each local rep has a cover known as the Ego, and their mission in this world is Bad Shit.
  • The Beatles - Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds

Without LSD I would have never gotten clean on heroin
    I'm trying to drink away the part of the day I cannot sleep away...
  • bee_boybee_boy Posts: 384
    No particular order:

* Given to Fly & Pretty much all Yield - Pearl Jam
    * Reverse Soundtrack & Washed Out To Sea - Something For Kate
    * Lurgee & I Can't - Radiohead
    * Tonight Tonight & Try, Try, Try - Smashing Pumpkins
    * Semi-Charmed life - Third-eye Blind

Having so many songs doesn't mean that I'm a bipolar maniac, I've never ever tried to kill myself, but there have been times when I've been so depressed that I did wish I was dead. All these songs are the ones that trigger that "something" on me that makes me realise that life is FUCKING AWESOME. These are all on my "feel good" playlist :)
  • bee_boy wrote:
    * Lurgee & I Can't - Radiohead
    * Tonight Tonight & Try, Try, Try - Smashing Pumpkins

I always felt that these two bands were more depressing than hopeful.
    They are my two favorite bands though.
  • I have 3 that struck a chord with me at a very difficult time:

Nothingman - made me realise my life had become the song and I HAD to do something about it.

Better Man - pretty much as above

Given To Fly - gave me hope.

Probably predictable, but those 3 songs woke me up and saved my life when I needed it. They'll always be very special to me.
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • The Beatles - Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds

Without LSD I would have never gotten clean on heroin

Really?
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • Wow, just looked at the posts you made and it looks like 98% of the posts you make are about Morrissey and The Smiths..........why not join a forum about them rather than talking about those miserable assholes on here?

give it a rest, just dont post.
    I dont tease you cause you like Blink 182.
  • KannKann Posts: 1,146
    Until my brother bought me metallica's "... and justice for all" I used to listen to really shitty stuff like 2 unlimited, Dr. Alban, ace of base etc. So I'll say that "one" and "dyers eve" definitely saved my life by introducing me into a whole other world of music (even though I kinda loathe metallica now)
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    :D this also amused me, if you don't mind me mocking a serious thing :)

Elliott Smith is a good one.

not at all. i dont believe in taking anything too seriously. it was a long time ago and a different me, so i can laugh about it now :)
    Wow, just looked at the posts you made and it looks like 98% of the posts you make are about Morrissey and The Smiths..........why not join a forum about them rather than talking about those miserable assholes on here?
    Oh yeah, they're the miserable assholes. Get a life. Can you not see the hypocrisy in the fact that a large amount of YOUR posts here are devoted to talking about Morrissey and the Smiths as well? Just in a more miserable, asshole type fashion.
    not at all. i dont believe in taking anything too seriously. it was a long time ago and a different me, so i can laugh about it now :)
    I pride myself in being able to see the humour in anything, no matter how grim :p
  • Alive. and maybe Dont Follow
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    Oh yeah, they're the miserable assholes. Get a life. Can you not see the hypocrisy in the fact that a large amount of YOUR posts here are devoted to talking about Morrissey and the Smiths as well? Just in a more miserable, asshole type fashion.

Please tell me more about the large amount of posts that I made about them
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

give it a rest, just dont post.
    I dont tease you cause you like Blink 182.

Why dont you actually read the post about Blink 182 before sounding like an asshole?
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

• still holding-big wreck

Simple message in the song....I think it was a b-side....but it helped me get thru a tough time.
    the oceans made me, but who came up with love?