The Sword - Age of Winters

sickwilliesickwillie Posts: 178
edited December 2006 in Other Music
I was a little surprised when I searched the forums for The Sword and didn't see a thread dedicated to this awesome album, especially considering it's been out in the states since February (it was just released in Canada this week).

Tell me I'm not the only one getting my balls kicked in by this album! For the uninitiated (and as far as I can take it after only a few listens) it's like a full on cross between Wolfmother and Clutch, but heavier. I just love the grooves and the tone of this album; plus, I love how it lulls you in with five tracks that (while consistently awesome) are kind of the same groove and tempo, and then "Iron Swan" kicks in and completely obliterates the senses using only an eighties thrash riff. Now that's powerful shit.

Surely, this has been discussed somewhere, in some form, before. But, if someone agrees with me on this band, please back me up so I don't feel like I'm the only one who gets it.

P.S. Who else is stoked about the new Clutch album in March?
"We've done really well with teenage death songs." -EV
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I love this album. Great first album for a band. I really like the grooves. Iron Swan is a sick song.

The downside to the band is they are quite unoriginal. Just like Wolfmother there sound is unoriginal, but it rocks. Now i'm not a fan of wolfmother at all but I forgive Sword. The music on Age of Winters even though i can hear riffs from other bands is just played really well and is fun to listen to.

I can see your comparison between wolfmother and clutch, but I hear a LOT of high on fire riffs, and of course it all echoes back to Sabbath. to me they are like a slightly watered down more accesable version of high on fire.

Now please don't take the last two paragraphs to mean i don't like the band or the album. Quite the contrary i think age of winters was one of my favorite albums of the year and i jam it often. They are just far from groundbreaking, but fun to listen too!
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    I think I need this disc.
  • This band is amazing! The album is phenomenal, seen them live twice(just last night, and will be again tomorrow night). They are MONSTROUS live, just straightforward, in your face..unbelievable. I recommend this band to anyone. Very good music is produced.
    "Everyone wants to be the sun that lights up your life, but I'd rather be your moon so I can shine on you during your darkest hour when your sun's not around."
  • intodeep wrote:
    I hear a LOT of high on fire riffs

I can't believe I forgot about High On Fire! I got "Blessed Black Wings" for free when it came out (loooove working at a record store), half-listened to it, thought it was pretty good, never listened again. I've got to dig this puppy out and crank it, because I bet it deserves way more love than I've given it.
    "We've done really well with teenage death songs." -EV
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    Meh...it's alright. Leaning way too much on Sabbath for me to appreciate what they're trying to do.
  • MojopinMojopin Posts: 216
    VERY impressive first album! Some killer riffs from this band. Surprisingly good stuff....

Mojo
    "A consistently good band works all the different elements well. A song has to appeal sentimentally, intellectually, physically, viscerally, and dig deep down into your soul and suck you into it. And after that, of course, it'd be a matter of taste." ~ Kim Thayil from Soundgarden
  • MojopinMojopin Posts: 216
    Oh, and I LOVE 'Iron Swan'. Great metal tune...

Mojo
    "A consistently good band works all the different elements well. A song has to appeal sentimentally, intellectually, physically, viscerally, and dig deep down into your soul and suck you into it. And after that, of course, it'd be a matter of taste." ~ Kim Thayil from Soundgarden
  • I only know them from Guitar Hero 2, the song "Freya." It's one of the least enjoyable songs in the game, I think. Not a big fan of that tune, but I guess I can't judge them based on just one song. If it has a heavy Sabbath influence maybe they're not so bad.
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    going to see the Sword open for Clutch on 12/28. can't wait.
  • I was supposed to see the sword when they came with trivium in buffalo on 10/12 when there was this huge snow storm, but the tickets where like 25 bucks. WTF is that!! but the sword is the jam. My friend said to wait because they would probablly be coming back in a couple of months for like 10 bucks, and would have new material within the year. Which is quite \m/
  • alobaralobar Posts: 310
    Sabbath.

O.K. I said it already so I don't have to say it again.

The Sword are freaking impressive. Huge heavy riffs that really get me rocking. I picked up Age of Winters after seeing this post and I'm very glad I did. It rcoks all the way through, even though they sound a lot like Sabbath. Damn, I just had to say it again.
    "I wanna believe in the mercy of the world again."

WAR + MAGIC BEANS = PEACE
  • transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    No problem looking past the influence. Age of Winters = sweetness