Anyone else see the Mars Volta on Halloween in Cleveland?

Manstis1604Manstis1604 Posts: 99
edited November 2006 in Other Music
An amazing show, their set was just a 45 minute jam but it fucking rocked, sounded like Led Zeppelin meets Al DiMeola meets Miles Davis meets Acid Mothers Temple. Cedric ran through the arena grabbing people and throwing their beers (while the band was still going nuts onstage), such a fun show to watch. I was letdown by the Chilis sadly, they were just so boring in comparison to the Mars Volta, playing radio hits and terrible Stadium Arcadium shit, their stage show was so overdone with the massive tv screens and insane amounts of lights.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• BeavBeav Posts: 223
    Yes I was there. Luckily I love both bands. I don't know what to think about that massive jam. On one hand I liked there were some awesome high points in the improv but it never quite musically orgasmed. I was worried because for some reason I wasn't aware Jon was not drumming anymore until fairly recently. The new guy, which I guess was there original drummer anyway, didn't dissapoint. It was also neat seeing Omar direct the band to take the jam in a new direction. But I feel kinda ripped off because any group of decent musicians can jam and make it go on forever. I would have been happy with two or even one actual song from an album. Cedric pretty much had the night off vocally. Just some ocasional shrieks here and there. At least he was entertaining to watch. And being right in front of him was cool when he explored the arena.
    I thought the Peppers put on a good show but the setlist wasn't the best for my taiste. Not bad by any means but there's a few I'd have liked to hear. It seemed like John was on fire though. I know he always goes off live but this was good. He's not technically amazing but I really feel his playing. And the Halloween getups were awesome. I even said before the show that Chad should dress up as Will Ferrell and he came out as Ricky Bobby! Fucking histerical. I recorded Can't Stop in it's entirety on camera so I gotta get it on the net. Ok I'm done ranting :)
    "Sooner or later you'll bare your teeth"
    www.myspace.com/volinic
    www.myspace.com/zane26 (band)
  • I wasn't there, cause I'm not near Cleveland, but figured I'd chime in a bit. The whole super long jam thing (for TMV) is because they are working on their third drummer of the year. Blake the, drummer from the orginal demos who replaced Jon, was apparently fired or left about midway through October and apparently the new guy only knows three songs, so they're just doing long jams at every show. There's a lot of talk about it on their message board. I'm a little disappointed that I'm finding less and less to like about this band all the time because I really enjoyed them for a while.
    I discovered the secret of life, but forgot to write it down.
  • I wasn't there, cause I'm not near Cleveland, but figured I'd chime in a bit. The whole super long jam thing (for TMV) is because they are working on their third drummer of the year. Blake the, drummer from the orginal demos who replaced Jon, was apparently fired or left about midway through October and apparently the new guy only knows three songs, so they're just doing long jams at every show. There's a lot of talk about it on their message board. I'm a little disappointed that I'm finding less and less to like about this band all the time because I really enjoyed them for a while.

dont say that! Im going to see TMV in december!! :(
    +--+-Official Upcoming Australasian Tour: Member No.5-+--+
    ~~~~~http://www.myspace.com/breakerfallpj~~~~~

YieldInHiding: "RED DOT is an intermission...not "filler." I hate that word. Filler is what's in a Twinkie."
  • Im seeing the Chilis and TMV Sunday nite in St. Paul - last U.S. stop for the Chilis