So after all this time, Chinese Democracy may be a Wal-Mart or Best Buy exclusive?

aspoonfulweighsatonaspoonfulweighsaton Posts: 2,026
edited August 2008 in Other Music
That's just stupid for an album of this magnitude...

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003839499
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• NewDamageNewDamage Posts: 1,913
    I doubt it would be wal-mart, as they still don't sell explicit recordings. Unless this is a clean record, which I highly doubt given its GNR. Maybe by 2015 when the album finally sees a release, wal-mart will have changed their policy.

Those leaks suck btw, with the exception of "Better."
    I am lost, I'm no guide. But I'm by your side...

8/25/92, 10/4/96, 10/5/96, 9/1/98, 9/4/98, 8/4/00, 8/6/00, 4/15/03, 4/16/03, 10/6/04, 6/16/08
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    The Wal-Mart exclusive deal made the Eagles another shit-pot load of money....after all, it's all about the $$$.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
    At this point its gonna be damn near impossible for this record to be profitable, considering how much has been spent since '93 or whenever it was first conceived

8/25/92, 10/4/96, 10/5/96, 9/1/98, 9/4/98, 8/4/00, 8/6/00, 4/15/03, 4/16/03, 10/6/04, 6/16/08
  • DjangoDjango Posts: 152
    He can stick that album up his ax-hole for all I care
  • GhostBoyGhostBoy Posts: 113
    That would be incredibly stupid, then again, there aren't too many brick & mortar record stores left...sadly. At this point, nothing would shock me. All I know is he better release this thing sooner rather than later because I've heard half the album...and it's nothing THAT special. You make people wait 15 years, they are going to expect a flawless album that is a classic and from what I've heard so far, people will be disappointed.
    All Those Yesterdays: This Day In Pearl Jam History - Sharing show anniversaries, releases, appearances, and more.

• Gremmie95Gremmie95 Posts: 749
    First the Stones, then AC/DC, now GNR......all about the benji's
  • petrocspetrocs Posts: 4,342
    After hearing some of the leaked songs I am in no way excited for this release
    Shows:
    9/24/96 MD. 9/28/96 Randalls. 8/28-29/98 Camden. 9/8/98 NJ. 9/18/98 MD. 9/1-2/00 Camden. 9/4/00 MD. 4/28/03 Philly. 7/5-6/03 Camden. 9/30/05 AC.
    10/3/05 Philly. 5/27-28/06 Camden. 6/23/06 Pitt. 6/19-20/08 Camden. 6/24/08 MSG. 8/7/08 EV Newark, NJ. 6/11-12/09 EV Philly, PA. 10/27-28-30-31/09 Philly, PA., 5/15/10 Hartford,5/17/10 Boston, 5/18/10 Newark, 5/20-21/10 MSG
  • robowskirobowski Posts: 143
    IN ADDITION TO FALLING PRICES - we have axl's fall from grace that destroys the legacy of one of the greatest bands of our time!
    As you live your life in sometimes quiet desperation, facing adversity and tragedy: if you have hope and love, that mixture helps you overcome that tragedy and go on with the rest of your life.”
    --Jack Lengyel
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    It will never be released
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • It will never be released

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or serious, so forgive me if my response doesn't apply - but this is definitely coming out and in all likelihood by the end of the year.

From having 3/4 of the album leak a few months back to having a song on the Rock Band 2 game coming out next month to negotiating a distribution deal, there's no way this isn't coming out in the next six months.

Believe me, I've been as skeptical as anyone for the last 13 years or so but there have never been any events take place like this that would've indicated a release before now.
  • OkOk Posts: 2,144
    I think folks will be surprised about how well this album will do....and yes, it will come out this year.
    Django wrote:
    He can stick that album up his ax-hole for all I care
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or serious, so forgive me if my response doesn't apply - but this is definitely coming out and in all likelihood by the end of the year.

From having 3/4 of the album leak a few months back to having a song on the Rock Band 2 game coming out next month to negotiating a distribution deal, there's no way this isn't coming out in the next six months.

Believe me, I've been as skeptical as anyone for the last 13 years or so but there have never been any events take place like this that would've indicated a release before now.

I was being pretty serious..........I dont even care anymore, hair bands died almost 20 years ago.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • MLC2006MLC2006 Posts: 861
    (Ok) wrote:
    I think folks will be surprised about how well this album will do....and yes, it will come out this year.

it will sell no less than 5 million, and probably no more (domestically) than 8 million. it will sell 5 million even if there's no big hit and the songs suck. and from what I've heard, the songs suck, so 5 million will be about it.
  • An exclusive deal will be bartered because the money has to flock in to the recording company. The damn thing will sell like crazy for the fact that it's been 13 years coming. That alone will make it ahuge sale. No chart busters for sure but it will be marketed properly to generate a return. Gotta make that $13 million back.
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,245
    It infuriates me that such well-established bands will fuck the indie shops like this. I'm not sure how appropriate the notion of "selling out" is these days, but this is about a clear a case as you can get.
  • I don't think it will do that well. Everyone that really wants it already pretty much has it. I guess it's possible that some of these songs are dumped demos, but I doubt it. All you're getting by buying it is a cleaned up version (maybe, some of these sound done already)... which in Axl Rose's case means overproduction. Gigantic overproduction.
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    Oh well, it will be all over piratebay and elsewhere about 5 seconds after someone gets hold of it; that it is if ever really comes out. I'm not holding my breath. (Not that I ever liked GnR much anyway)
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • 12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    If they release it exclusively to wal mart then that means they will have to re do the album so its walmart appropriate.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • NewDamage wrote:
    I doubt it would be wal-mart, as they still don't sell explicit recordings. Unless this is a clean record..."
    If they release it exclusively to wal mart then that means they will have to re do the album so its walmart appropriate.

Actually, Wal-Mart's policy is that they won't sell music MARKED with a Parental Advisory sticker. Here's the policy direct from their website:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/catalog.gsp?cat=547092

Music Content Policy
    Parental Advisory Labels

The Parental Advisory program is a voluntary program created and administered by the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA). Under the Parental Advisory program, individual record companies, working with their artists, decide which of their releases should be labeled with a Parental Advisory Label. Recordings identified with the Parental Advisory Label may contain strong language or depictions of violence, sex or substance abuse. Wal-Mart Stores, Sam's Club and Walmart.com (collectively "Wal-Mart") do not carry recordings designated with the Parental Advisory Label.

Edited Versions

Sometimes, record companies will release an edited version of a recording designated with the Parental Advisory Label. Such recordings are identified with an Edited notice which alerts customers that the recording has been modified by the record company from the original, and does not include all of the same content contained in the labeled version. The use of the Edited notice does not necessarily mean that all content that all listeners might find objectionable has been removed from the recording. Wal-Mart carries certain recordings designated as Edited and marks these recordings as such on the applicable album or item page of the Walmart.com website

Other

Wal-Mart does not display album or song titles that contain profanity on the Walmart.com website. Wal-Mart does not edit recordings or 30-second sample clips offered in stores or on the Walmart.com website. Wal-Mart selects 30-second sample clips such that only clips that do not contain profanity are made available to customers. However, other portions of the recordings may contain profanity, and the 30-second sample clips or the recording as a whole may be deemed by some customers to be offensive, indecent or objectionable. Occasionally, Wal-Mart may refuse to stock music merchandise that may not seem appropriate. However, Wal-Mart may carry some recordings that some customers might find offensive, indecent or objectionable. Parents are always encouraged to review the merchandise their children purchase from Wal-Mart to ensure it meets their own standards.
    <a href="http://www.shawnsmithsinger.com">Shawn Smith</a> / <a href="http://www.thebandbrad.com">Brad</a&gt; / <a href="http://www.allhailthecrown.com">All Hail the Crown</a> / <a href="http://www.satchelpartnership.com">Satchel</a&gt;

(Shawn Smith's official website, but not Thee Shawn Smith)
    Actually, Wal-Mart's policy is that they won't sell music MARKED with a Parental Advisory sticker. Here's the policy direct from their website:

The way it works is if its not PA stickered in its original form, then Wal-Mart will carry the original version. Sometimes discs with a few offensive words can be found intact at WM, because they were never labeled. But with a band that says "fuck" as much as GnR, I can't imagine an unedited version at Wal-Mart, even with an exclusive agreement. I don't really recall hearing too many expletives in the Chinese Democracy leaks, so maybe this album can be considered "clean." But then again they were so horrible I only made it all the way through two songs.