Wilco on SNL tonight!!!

aspoonfulweighsatonaspoonfulweighsaton Posts: 2,026
edited March 2008 in Other Music
With Ellen "Juno" Page hosting.

Here's to the world's other greatest band making their SNL debut!

I'm guessing "Hate it Here" and "Walken", but I would love to see the three-headed guitar attack of "Impossible Germany" on network television.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    I'm guessing they'll play "What Light" and "Walken". I'd love to hear them do "Impossible Germany", but the song is 6 minutes long and they'd probably have to cut the guitar solo short. SNL used to have a 4 1/2 minute time limit for songs, but maybe they've ditched that rule in recent years. Who knows. Regardless, it should be great show tonight. Ellen Page is fantastic as well.
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    Fred Armissen is the funnioest cast member going on that show now.\Amy Pohler is good, but still as strong as she is falls second behind Fred !

Enjoy the show everyone !
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,951
    who cares about wilco, SNL IS FUCKIN BACK!!! thank god....cant wait to see what is in store for episode 5!!!!
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • soclosesoclose Posts: 628
    who cares about wilco, SNL IS FUCKIN BACK!!! thank god....cant wait to see what is in store for episode 5!!!!

I care about Wilco. I expect to do plenty of channel surfing during the sketches. That's if I can stay awake.
  • Brain of mJBrain of mJ Posts: 786
    What'd they end up playin?
  • kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    What'd they end up playin?

i dunno, i only caught the ending chords of their second song :(
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
  • What'd they end up playin?

I actually got it right... "Hate it Here" and "Walken"

They were amazing as always and really seemed to be having a blast.

I'm sure it will be on YouTube in a few hours so anyone who missed it should definitely check it out!
  • soclosesoclose Posts: 628
    It was interesting seeing the nudie suit on live TV. SNL went country for a few minutes there.

I was glad to hear them play "Hate It Here" and "Walken." Aside from "Either Way" those are my two favorite songs on the album.:)

It's too bad for the people in South Carolina who had their show postponed, but it was such a nice surprise for the rest of us to get to see Wilco on TV so many months after Sky Blue Sky was released.
  • Man, they absolutely ripped on those two songs! Such a talented band.
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    Ahh, takes me back to the time when I saw PJ on SNL in 2006 playing WWS. First time I ever heard that song... I wasn't even a massive fan then but I still thought "wow, that was good."
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • LukinFanLukinFan Posts: 29,040
    SNL IS FUCKIN BACK!!! thank god....cant wait to see what is in store for episode 5!!!!

I hope that you're kidding
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Wilco was hitting on all cylinders last night it was awesome
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • I hope someone can help me out. In the brief SNL bumper between commercials just before Wilco played "Hate It Here", I swear I heard the chord progression from Rush's "La Villa Strangiato" - I know that sounds crazy, but I am sure I heard this. Did anyone else pickup on this? If I was mistaken, I'd love to know what tune they were playing. Matt (<!-- e --><a href="mailto:rushed@ameritech.net">rushed@ameritech.net</a><!-- e -->)
  • nfanelnfanel Posts: 2,558
    intodeep wrote:
    Wilco was hitting on all cylinders last night it was awesome
    great performance. i love that band more every day.
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,854
    this band gets better and better
    I saw the 9:30 wed show
    one of the best out there right now
  • restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,951
    what a horrific episode of snl though. they had all that time to prepare something and thats what we got. ouch.....only one funny part.

nicholas fehn character.
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • hopethatuchokehopethatuchoke Posts: 2,927
    I watched one of the songs on SNL and they could be the most boring band I have ever seen in my life. They were almost as boring as the skits on SNL. To each his own I guess.
  • ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    what a great band searching on youtube now for this.. sounds like a great performance.
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    wtf? I found the clip on utube but says they were pulled done due to copyright from a third party! bullshit.
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • HawkshoreHawkshore Posts: 2,153
    what a horrific episode of snl though. they had all that time to prepare something and thats what we got. ouch.....only one funny part.

nicholas fehn character.

Have to agree about the skits I thought they could have utilized Ellen much better......The Dakota Fanning skit was brutal!

As for Wilco that was the first time I had heard them and I thought they were pretty good.
    Van 92.07.21 / Van 98.07.19 / Sea 98.07.22 / Tor 98.08.22 / Sea 00.11.06 / Van 03.05.30/ Van 05.09.02/ Gorge 06.07.22 & 23 / EV Van 08.04.02 / Tor 09.08.21 / Sea 09.09.21 & 22 / Van 09.09.25 / Van 11.09.25 / Van 13.12.04 / Pem 16.07.17 / Sea 18.08.10
  • TrixieCatTrixieCat Posts: 5,756
    Hawkshore wrote:
    Have to agree about the skits I thought they could have utilized Ellen much better......The Dakota Fanning skit was brutal!

As for Wilco that was the first time I had heard them and I thought they were pretty good.
    :o I thought it was pretty funny, but I had it on tivo...:o
    I thought the Dakota Fanning show was hysterical. But I have always loved that part. And the Baby Gap skit...I died! lol
    And when Hillary came on..that was funny.
    I just wish that other guy didn't do the news...just Amy. He is horrible.
    And the movie with the guy that kept popping up??? lol
    And the Obama Files???? rotflmao I couldn't take it anymore...that was hysterical. "what is Pet Stop?" lol

Yes, Wilco was awesome.
    Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
    And I don't feel right when you're gone away
  • edpearsonedpearson Posts: 331
    I just watched it (Tivo'ed it). Friggin' awesome! Wilco is such a great band. They're very tight and a joy to see live. As for the rest of the SNL show - ugh! This show just isn't funny anymore. Bits and pieces merit a chuckle, but it's just not funny anymore. I'm surprised this show is still on the air, but then again if they took it off the air, they'd probably fill the time slot with something far worse like "Cheaters". At least SNL is worth watching for the bands (sometimes). Remember the episode where PJ was on for the first time (Sharon Stone hosted)? She did the infamous scene from "Basic Instinct" in the beginning dialog with the band looking dazed -- classic! Oh, and so was their versions of "Alive" and "Porch"!
    Rock on!
    ~Edward

===========================
  • HawkshoreHawkshore Posts: 2,153
    TrixieCat wrote:
    :o I thought it was pretty funny, but I had it on tivo...:o
    I thought the Dakota Fanning show was hysterical. But I have always loved that part. And the Baby Gap skit...I died! lol
    And when Hillary came on..that was funny.
    I just wish that other guy didn't do the news...just Amy. He is horrible.
    And the movie with the guy that kept popping up??? lol
    And the Obama Files???? rotflmao I couldn't take it anymore...that was hysterical. "what is Pet Stop?" lol

Yes, Wilco was awesome.

Ok Ill admit I did get a chuckle out of the Obama files ......I have never caught the Dakota Fanning skit before ....all I kept thinking was this woman in now way reminds me of Dakota Fanning .......I think the celebrity parody skits work best when they at least remotely resemble the individual. .....I was just disappointed they didn't have better material for Ellen to work with.
    Van 92.07.21 / Van 98.07.19 / Sea 98.07.22 / Tor 98.08.22 / Sea 00.11.06 / Van 03.05.30/ Van 05.09.02/ Gorge 06.07.22 & 23 / EV Van 08.04.02 / Tor 09.08.21 / Sea 09.09.21 & 22 / Van 09.09.25 / Van 11.09.25 / Van 13.12.04 / Pem 16.07.17 / Sea 18.08.10
  • rhinomagicrhinomagic Posts: 2,549
    I consider myself a fairly knowledgeable Wilco fan. It was great seeing them on television. But could someone explain to me the suit Jeff was wearing? Where did it come from and/or does it have significance?

As much as I enjoy the band's records and live shows, I thought their performances on SNL were only a bit above average. Could be that I've just heard those songs played live a bunch in the past couple of years, but I thought they were a shade less than spectacular. Still solid and good, but it didn't blow me away.

They're still superb, though!

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016