So my iPod loves the Pixies (and other observations from a relatively new iPod user)

aspoonfulweighsatonaspoonfulweighsaton Posts: 2,026
edited November 2006 in Other Music
Well I've had my 80 gig iPod for about 2 1/2 weeks now and am totally loving it. Basically, I've been loading it with albums constantly and am currently up to 5,342 songs and I bring it to work and start a new shuffle everyday.

Now I have been noticing an occasional "pattern" here and there even though I have the shuffle setting to where it's not supposed to play songs from the same artist consecutively. Today, it just played "Here Comes Your Man" from the audio rip of the Live in Newport DVD acoustic show and then IMMEDIATELY afterwards it played the studio version. I just thought that out of over 5,000+ songs that the odds of that happening were next to none.

It also seems to like some artists more than others on different days. Has anyone had any similar experiences and what are your thoughts on how truly "random" the shuffle feature is?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• normnorm Posts: 31,146
    Happened to me last night. Walking the dog, I put random PJ on my Shuffle. The live version of Sad from LA2 '06 came on - followed by the studio version. These types of iPod moments happen a lot. They're fun!:D

Also, there have been times when I'm shuffling my 20g iPod and a song is playing and as the song ends I predict the next song and I'm right. It's happened several times.:)
  • HawkshoreHawkshore Posts: 2,153
    cutback wrote:
    Also, there have been times when I'm shuffling my 20g iPod and a song is playing and as the song ends I predict the next song and I'm right. It's happened several times.:)

Grasshopper you have attained enlightenment you are now one with the I-Pod
    Van 92.07.21 / Van 98.07.19 / Sea 98.07.22 / Tor 98.08.22 / Sea 00.11.06 / Van 03.05.30/ Van 05.09.02/ Gorge 06.07.22 & 23 / EV Van 08.04.02 / Tor 09.08.21 / Sea 09.09.21 & 22 / Van 09.09.25 / Van 11.09.25 / Van 13.12.04 / Pem 16.07.17 / Sea 18.08.10
  • The other day I made a playlist of about 400 songs, after shuffling the whole thing, it put the Jeff Buckley version of Just like a Woman right before the original Bob Dylan version... and it did the same thing with Springsteens original and Ed's cover of Atlantic City.
    The Man has a branch office in each of our brains, his corporate emblem is a white albatross, each local rep has a cover known as the Ego, and their mission in this world is Bad Shit.
  • T-CaseT-Case Posts: 186
    i have close to 1,500 songs yet my Ipod loves playing PJ songs in blocks of 3 and sometimes 4
    PJ at MSG in 2008! Mission Accomplished

The band all knows. We're too afraid to mention.
    Don't want to be part of Frank's luncheon.
    Lose weight. Be safe. Where's Mike McCready?
    My god he's been ate!
  • audiodaveaudiodave Posts: 1,623
    Well I've had my 80 gig iPod for about 2 1/2 weeks now and am totally loving it. Basically, I've been loading it with albums constantly and am currently up to 5,342 songs and I bring it to work and start a new shuffle everyday.

Now I have been noticing an occasional "pattern" here and there even though I have the shuffle setting to where it's not supposed to play songs from the same artist consecutively. Today, it just played "Here Comes Your Man" from the audio rip of the Live in Newport DVD acoustic show and then IMMEDIATELY afterwards it played the studio version. I just thought that out of over 5,000+ songs that the odds of that happening were next to none.

It also seems to like some artists more than others on different days. Has anyone had any similar experiences and what are your thoughts on how truly "random" the shuffle feature is?

Well, after the live version of the song has finished, every song has en equal chance of being picked to be played next, so it's as likely that you're going to get the studio version of that song as you are any other song. It's also just a very big coincidence.
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

I don't wanna think, I wanna feel

Dublin 23/08/06 Lisbon I 04/09/06 Lisbon II 05/09/06 Paris 11/09/06 Verona 16/09/06

London 18/06/07 Dusseldorf 21/06/07 Copenhagen 26/06/07 Nijmegen 28/06/07
  • dirtdirt Posts: 398
    I had a great iPod moment today and for whatever reason I think the moment will be tagged in my memory forever. Was on a plane flying back home from San Diego this afternoon -- totally wasted from the previous days of work -- shortly after take-off I put the headphones on and did the random play option. Fading in and out of sleep as The Strokes 'Ask Me Anything' comes on, I look out the window as we fly over the Hoover Dam with crystal clear skies. Really, really nice. That song as perfect for the moment.
    drive less - RIDE MORE!