Replacing long lost cassettes

jhawk98jhawk98 Posts: 145
edited June 2006 in Other Music
here's another lame message board topic to kill some time. I would assume that like me, many on this board grew up listening to cassettes. I would also assume that like me, many of you have lost/ruined a number of said cassettes. Sooooo, name some albums that you had on cassette, that you have actually replaced with a CD

For me

De La Soul- 3 Feet High and Rising.
REM - Green
U2-Rattle & Hum
The Sex Pistols - Never Mind the Bullocks...
Jane's Addiction - Nothing's Shocking
GNR - Appetite for Destruction
Beastie Boys - License To Ill, Paul's Boutique (this was one of those rainbow colored Capitol Records tapes - sweet!
Check Your Head (Maybe the most played music during my JR/SR high school years. just Flat got worn out)
Public Enemy - Apocalypse '91..., Fear Of A Black Planet
The Cult - Electric

Still have yet to replace, but would like to...
Nirvana - Nevermind
GNR- Illusion records
RHCP - Freakey Styley
Ice Cube - The Predator
Midnight Oil - Diesel & Dust
rock chalk
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    the only tape that i absolutely feel the need to replace is 'appetite for destruction.'
    as yet i haven't. consequently it's the most played album in my kitchen.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • jhawk98jhawk98 Posts: 145
    wow. Maybe I was wrong about the age group around here and everyone is too young. Not many responses. None of you people own tapes that you want to replace? Or maybe you don't want to admit to picking up that Milli Vanilli disc to take the place of your worn out cassette? hmmmmm....

ah well just thought it would be an interesting thing to see from everyone.
    rock chalk
  • DCGARDENDCGARDEN Posts: 515
    I've replaced:

Mostly all of my Zeppelin Albums
    Mostly all of my Floyd Albums

I still have a bunch of tapes because I had been driving an older car that actually had a cassette player untill recently. If I win my next scratch-off ticket, I will go and replace my Jethro Tull tapes !
    I'll keep taking punches
    Untill their will grows tired
  • lukin14lukin14 Posts: 287
    I didn't have many tapes. But my musical tastes were so much different then, so I haven't replaced any of them that I can remember.
    life is the study of dyin'
    and how to do it right
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    jhawk98 wrote:
    wow. Maybe I was wrong about the age group around here and everyone is too young. Not many responses. None of you people own tapes that you want to replace? Or maybe you don't want to admit to picking up that Milli Vanilli disc to take the place of your worn out cassette? hmmmmm....

ah well just thought it would be an interesting thing to see from everyone.
    Well, we went from lp's to cd's. We replaced at least a hundred, probably more. Gave our lp collection to our nephew when we moved. Never did the cassette route, other than making our own from the lp's. Store bought cassettes just never sounded very good. :)
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • My taste in music is very different now than when I was purchasing cassettes. In fact, my music tastes are very different than when I first started buying cds at 13 (I have some very questionable cds in my collection). I find no reason to replace my Vanilla Ice, Wilson Phillips, Paula Abdul, New Kids on the Block, Nelson, Samantha Fox, Janet Jackson, or The Simpson's Singing the Blues cassettes.

Oh, wait! My Aunt bought me Greenday's 'Nookie' on cassette, which I later replaced with the cd form.
    No time to be void or save up on life. You got to spend it all.
  • InHiding80InHiding80 Posts: 7,623
    I've had a number of PJ ones like 10,Vs., & Vitalogy. Here's my list aside from the aforementioned PJ ones:

Beastie Boys - Licensed To Ill (1st album I ever owned)
    Ben Folds Five - Whatever and Ever Amen (1st album I bought with allowance money)
    Cherry Poppin' Daddies - Zoot Suit Riot
    Counting Crows - 1st two albums
    DMB - Before These Crowded Streets,Crash
    Everclear - Sparkle & Fade
    Fastball - All the Pain Money Can Buy
    INXS - Kick
    Live - Throwing Copper,Secret Samadhi
    Matchbox 20 - Yourself Or Someone Like You
    New Radicals - Maybe You've Been Brainwashed,Too
    REM - Monster
    Save Ferris - It Means Everything
    Semisonic - Feeling Strangely Fine
    Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream
    Soundgarden - Superunknown
    STP - Core,Purple
    Third Eye Blind - self titled
    U2 - Joshua Tree,Zooropa
    The Wallflowers - Bringing Down The Horse
  • KricketKricket Posts: 707
    I had some Neil tapes, Nirvana, and BonJovi (I was in public school)...that's all that I remember... OH....and a RHCP Blood Sugar Sex Magic and Soundgarden Badmotorfinger.
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    about 300 demos of my own songs that I have misplaced :D . some Ive remembered and commited to disc but god knows how many songs I've lost. I tend to improvise y'see so I've forgotten most of them.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"