The Black Crowes -Freak N Roll Live album

jhawk98jhawk98 Posts: 145
edited September 2006 in Other Music
picked this up today.Fantastic live performance.

When I heard this was coming out a couple of months ago, I didn't realize that it was going to be the same set as what was filmed for the High-Def special on HDNET a while back. I saw that show and liked the set a lot. Great surprise when I get the CD and find out it is the same set! Some highlights:

-the all acoustic mini-set towards the end of the show featuring She Talks To Angels and the freaking unbeatable trio of Amorica tunes - Cursed Diamond, Wiser Time, and Nonfiction. Awfully awfully good.

-the inclusion of female backup vocalists on the Southern Harmony tunes. One of the disappointments I've had seeing the Crowes live over the years is Rich and the band handling these vocals on these particular songs. Completely changes the sound from what is on the album. They sound great on this disc.

-the Willie Dixon cover "Mellow Down Easy". I recorded (on cassette tape off of the radio) a benefit concert the band did after the OK City bombing and they did this song. One of their best covers. Great to see it done here and done so well.

-"Seeing Things" from 'Money Maker. One of my favorite songs on that album and one that I don't think I've ever seen them play live.

-extended jam on My Morning Song. This will get you moving unless you are dead. Full horn section backing things up here and elsewhere througout the set.

In short this is the best live album I've heard in a long, long time. The Crowes are the only band I've seen live that tops PJ, and this disc is a great example of that. If you even like the band a little bit, or just appreciate great live music, this is a must have.
rock chalk
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    huh? ive got a dvd by this name... is there a cd too?
  • nice name soulsinging easily my favorite Black Crowes song...

You got my soul singin my souls singin
    08-19-08 (Riverside Theater) Vedder(Solo) Milwaukee, WI
    07-02-11 (Orpheum Theatre) Vedder(Solo) Minneapolis, MN
  • jhawk98jhawk98 Posts: 145
    huh? ive got a dvd by this name... is there a cd too?

yes.
    rock chalk
    jhawk98 wrote:
    yes.

since when? where do i get it?
  • holtzholtz Posts: 509

Apparently came out tuesday, its on amazon.com so I'm sure you can find it anywhere online.

Disc: 1
    1. (Only) Halfway To Everywhere
    2. Sting Me
    3. No Speak No Slave
    4. Soul Singing
    5. Welcome To The Goodtimes
    6. Jealous Again
    7. Space Captain
    8. My Morning Song
    9. Sunday Night Buttermilk Waltz
    Disc: 2
    1. Cursed Diamond
    2. She Talks To Angels
    3. Wiser Time
    4. Non Fiction
    5. Seeing Things
    6. Hard To Handle
    7. Let Me Share The Ride
    8. Mellow Down Easy
    9. Remedy
    10. The Night They Drove Ol’ Dixie Down
  • MilestoneMilestone Posts: 1,140
    I know WalMart sucks....but....

if you buy it there, you get a free download of "Loving Cup" which is the only song ommitted from the live performance for the DVD/CD.

(I was at this show, by the way! So happy they released it live)
    11-2-2000 Portland. 12-8-2002 Seattle. 4-18-2003 Nashville. 5-30-2003 Vancouver. 10-25-2003 Bridge School. 9-2-2005 Vancouver.
    7-6-2006 Las Vegas. 7-20-2006 Portland. 7-22-2006 Gorge. 9-21-2009 Seattle. 9-22-2009 Seattle. 9-26-2009 Ridgefield. 9-25-2011 Vancouver.
    11-29-2013 Portland. 10-16-2014 Detroit. 8-8-2018 Seattle. 8-10-2018 Seattle. 8-13-2018 Missoula.  5-10-2024 Portland.  5-30-2024 Seattle.
    Milestone wrote:
    I know WalMart sucks....but....

if you buy it there, you get a free download of "Loving Cup" which is the only song ommitted from the live performance for the DVD/CD.

(I was at this show, by the way! So happy they released it live)

hmmm... i dont know if there is a walmart around here, thank god. i love this dvd. guess im buyingg a cd tomorrow!
  • jhawk98jhawk98 Posts: 145

I got mine at Best Buy on Tuesday. I would guess any music store should have it, or Circuit City, etc.
    rock chalk
  • hmmm... i dont know if there is a walmart around here, thank god. i love this dvd. guess im buyingg a cd tomorrow!

I'm not a Wal Mart fan or cheerleader in any way, but...

You can download it on the Wal Mart downloading website for under $10 and you get the bonus track with the download as well.
    allornone wrote:
    I'm not a Wal Mart fan or cheerleader in any way, but...

You can download it on the Wal Mart downloading website for under $10 and you get the bonus track with the download as well.

i dont like downloading. call me old fashioned, but i like the cd in my hand...