Options

The top 24 albums of the 1970's

jhawk98jhawk98 Posts: 145
edited May 2006 in Other Music
I'm baaaaack. Here's my fourth "decade's best" list, compiled by ranking my album's from the period with my Ipod. Again, much smaller than my 2000's list (52 entries) and certainly my 90's list (94 entries). Guess that is to be expected since I was just a wee toddler during this time.

So fire away, but first a few caveats:
Yeah there is a lot of Aerosmith, and some of those records have no business being inside the top 25 albums put out in any decade, but I got the 'Box of Fire' for Xmas one year which includes all their early catalog, so - voila - they are on my list.

Before the barrage comes I'll just say this right now. I don't own any Led Zeppelin records (gasp!!) So spare me the multitude of posts on this. Same goes for Pink Freakin Floyd. I have been ruined for both of these bands by classic rock radio, not to mention movies and TV. They are played so much, that I can't bring myself to plunk down money for their records. Not when there is so much great stuff out there from other artists.

Just as in the previous lists, their are several artists whose albums I own in greatest hits format (Al Green, Parliament, Bob Marley to name a few) but they have been omitted becuse they are compilations. Cheers.

24.Aerosmith-Night In The Ruts
23.Aerosmith-Draw The Line
22.Boston-Boston
21.Stevie Wonder-Music Of My Mind
20.Aerosmith-Get Your Wings
19.The Rolling Stones-Some Girls
18.Aerosmith-Rocks
17.Van Halen-Van Halen
16.Stevie Wonder-Talking Book
15.The Rolling Stones-Goat's Head Soup
14.Credence Clearwater Revival-Mardi Gras
13.Aerosmith-Aerosmith
12.Television-Marquee Moon
11.Sex Pistols-Never Mind The Bulloks, Here's the Sex Pistols
10.Aerosmith-Toys In The Attic
09.Fleetwood Mac-Rumors
08.The Who-Who's Next
07.Stevie Wonder-Songs In The Key Of Life
06.Marvin Gaye-What's Going On
05.The Beatles-Let It Be
04.Neil Young-Harvest
03.Wille Nelson-Red Headed Stranger
02.The Clash-London Calling
01.The Rolling Stones-Exile On Main Street (also probably my favorite album of all time)

60's list coming soon...
rock chalk
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    jhawk98 wrote:

Point 1 is the Sex Pistols CD is called Never Mind The BOLLOCKS....... Bollocks is a british slang term for testicles, and also a type of catholic priest ranking.
    And point 2, sorry for being in such an anal mood today:)

Also you need to buy some Ramones, Black Sabbath, UK Subs, Sham 69, The Buzzcocks, Free, The Doors, Funkadelic, Bob Marley, Max Romeo, Toots And The Maytals and adjust the list accordingly.:)
    These are some bands I would reccomend, that had some good output in the 70's and judging by your original list you would probably like.:)

Edited to rectify the Reeferchief's damaged memory:D
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • Options
    dr jamdr jam Posts: 69
    And point 2, Toys In The Attic was released in 1969, I have the original vinyl.

Think you need to check that one... ;)
  • Options
    AxlUlrichAxlUlrich Posts: 12,652
    gotta have some Ramones,Sabbath,AC/DC!
    i agree with having Van Halen's debut in the list..one of the best debuts ever!
    LIVERPOOL FC -18 time League Champions-15 time Charity Shield Holders-7 time League Cup Winners-7 time FA Cup Winners-5 time European Champions-4 time UEFA Cup Winners-3 time European Super Cup Winners-1 time World Super Cup Winners

Walk on with hope in your heart
    YNWA
  • Options
    dr jam wrote:
    Think you need to check that one... ;)

Fuck me, guess I aint listened to Aerosmith in a while;)
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    jhawk98 wrote:
    I'm baaaaack. Here's my fourth "decade's best" list, compiled by ranking my album's from the period with my Ipod. Again, much smaller than my 2000's list (52 entries) and certainly my 90's list (94 entries). Guess that is to be expected since I was just a wee toddler during this time.

Yeah there is a lot of Aerosmith, and some of those records have no business being inside the top 25 albums put out in any decade, but I got the 'Box of Fire' for Xmas one year which includes all their early catalog, so - voila - they are on my list.

Before the barrage comes I'll just say this right now. I don't own any Led Zeppelin records (gasp!!) So spare me the multitude of posts on this. Same goes for Pink Freakin Floyd. I have been ruined for both of these bands by classic rock radio, not to mention movies and TV. They are played so much, that I can't bring myself to plunk down money for their records. Not when there is so much great stuff out there from other artists.

Just as in the previous lists, their are several artists whose albums I own in greatest hits format (Al Green, Parliament, Bob Marley to name a few) but they have been omitted becuse they are compilations. Cheers.

22.Boston-Boston
    18.Aerosmith-Rocks
    17.Van Halen-Van Halen
    13.Aerosmith-Aerosmith
    09.Fleetwood Mac-Rumors
    08.The Who-Who's Next
    05.The Beatles-Let It Be
    04.Neil Young-Harvest
    01.The Rolling Stones-Exile On Main Street (also probably my favorite album of all time)

60's list coming soon...
    Very Interesting! Thanks for sharing
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    So you acknowledged the lack of the heavyweights of the era, which makes some sense. I've reall grown lukewarm on Zep lately but they'd still have at least one album in my top 25.

The main points of contention for me

- Never Min The Bollocks is such a trash album. Hate that thing to no end
    - Blood On The Tracks/ At Filmore East/Hunky Dory are some pretty essential 70's albums, if you ask me
    - I'll admit I am not superhuge on the 70's, but there are lots of great bands from there that were pretty progressive thinking that we both should get into. Can, Talking Heads, Pere Ubu, et cetera
    - Great calls on Television and the Clash, those albums are classic

I really need to listen to Exile.
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • Options
    FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    Where's The Hits of The Wombles on that list?
  • Options
    Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    jhawk98 wrote:

22.Boston-Boston
    18.Aerosmith-Rocks
    17.Van Halen-Van Halen
    13.Aerosmith-Aerosmith
    09.Fleetwood Mac-Rumors
    08.The Who-Who's Next
    05.The Beatles-Let It Be
    04.Neil Young-Harvest

60's list coming soon...

your list is definitely flawed
    5 Aerosmith albums, .....but
    how can Born To Run be ommitted ?

:rolleyes:
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
    transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    Excellent list of choices. I can't really argue any of them except that Night In the Ruts. Rocks/Toys in the Attic/Get Your Wings are monsters.

5 others that I put in my top 70's (minus Floyd/Zeppelin/Marley) are:

Dylan - Blood on the Tracks
    Jeff Beck - Blow by Blow
    Black Sabbath - Sabotage
    Judas Priest - Sad Wings of Destiny
    Bowie - Ziggy Stardust

Pere Ubu is some pretty weird stuff and nothing gets me fired up more than the opening riff from Happy.
  • Options
    Point 1 is the Sex Pistols CD is called Never Mind The BOLLOCKS....... Bollocks is a british slang term for testicles, and also a type of catholic priest ranking.
    And point 2, sorry for being in such an anal mood today:)

Also you need to buy some Ramones, Black Sabbath, UK Subs, Sham 69, The Buzzcocks, Free, The Doors, Funkadelic, Bob Marley, Max Romeo, Toots And The Maytals and adjust the list accordingly.:)
    These are some bands I would reccomend, that had some good output in the 70's and judging by your original list you would probably like.:)

Edited to rectify the Reeferchief's damaged memory:D

sorry about my spelling error. You're right, it's bollocks.

per my CD, cdnow.com, rolling stone.com, and AEROSMITH.COM, "Toys" was released in '75. Damn fine record too.
    Thanks for the suggestions. Some of those I've heard of, and some I've not. Some of them I have greatest hits compilations for so I didn't list them, even though I like their stuff.
    rock chalk
  • Options
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    your list is definitely flawed
    5 Aerosmith albums, .....but
    how can Born To Run be ommitted ?

:rolleyes:

like I said, I got the box set for Xmas, and so I own all their stuff. If I had more 70's records, most of Aerosmith's stuff would get pushed down the list.

Good call on Born To Run. Good record. One that I need to pick up.
    rock chalk
  • Options
    Echoes wrote:
    So you acknowledged the lack of the heavyweights of the era, which makes some sense. I've reall grown lukewarm on Zep lately but they'd still have at least one album in my top 25.

- Blood On The Tracks/ At Filmore East/Hunky Dory are some pretty essential 70's albums, if you ask me
    - I'll admit I am not superhuge on the 70's, but there are lots of great bands from there that were pretty progressive thinking that we both should get into. Can, Talking Heads, Pere Ubu, et cetera

Bollocks is a fun listen to me. Kind of hard to take these guys seriously with the way they've acted over the past 25 years, but I love the snotty attitude of that album.

Blood On the Tracks will someday be mine. I'm working my way up to it, chronologically through Dylan's catalog. I'm up to Blonde on Blonde so far. haven't been disappointed with any of them yet either.

I'll have to check out some of your suggestions as well. I like Talking Heads, but I have both of the Sand in The Vaseline compilations. don't know if I like them enough to buy their catalog.

...and finally, do I take your last comment to mean that you just haven't listened to Exile On Main Street in awhile or EVER? Good lord, if you haven't ever heard it, for god's sake man go get it. (I get a little passionate about this one. Like I said it might be my all time favorite recording). It's nearly perfect.
    rock chalk
  • Options
    jhawk98 wrote:
    sorry about my spelling error. You're right, it's bollocks.

per my CD, cdnow.com, rolling stone.com, and AEROSMITH.COM, "Toys" was released in '75. Damn fine record too.
    Thanks for the suggestions. Some of those I've heard of, and some I've not. Some of them I have greatest hits compilations for so I didn't list them, even though I like their stuff.

I aint listened to an Aerosmith album since before I stopped smoking the weed(been stopped nearly 3 years):D talk about damaged cells! I've checked the vinyl since then lol;)
  • Options
    lumpyfredlumpyfred Posts: 243
    Pretty good list, actually I've liked them all so far. Some I would put on mine are:

Bob Dylan - Blood on the Tracks, New Morning, Desire, Planet Waves
    Rush - 2112
    Grateful Dead - American Beauty, Workingman's Dead
    Warren Zevon - Excitable Boy

There are others but I cant think of more right now. And PLEASE for the love of god dont let the radio ruin Floyd!
    Her?
  • Options
    tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    Something is missing........hummmmmmmmmm.....could it be a little band called Led Zeppelin?????

Also missing:
    King Crimson "Red"
    King Crimson "Larks' Tongue in Aspic"
    Blind Faith "Blind Faith"
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Options
    Okay, here are my favourite 24 albums of the 1970s (and I'm going 1970-79 rather than 1971-80), in no particular order and biased in favour of my favourite artists of the time:

Cry of Love - Jimi Hendrix
    Rainbow Bridge - Jimi Hendrix
    The Madcap Laughs - Syd Barrett
    Barrett - Syd Barrett
    Dark Side of the Moon - Pink Floyd
    Lick My Decals Off, Baby - Captain Beefheart
    Spotlight Kid - Captain Beefheart
    Clear Spot - Captain Beefheart
    Bryter Layter - Nick Drake
    Pink Moon - Nick Drake
    Solid Air - John Martyn
    One World - John Martyn
    Case History - Kevin Coyne
    Marjory Razorblade - Kevin Coyne
    Matching Head and Feet - Kevin Coyne
    Tapestry - Carole King
    The Slider - T Rex
    Marquee Moon - Television
    Imagine - John Lennon
    Walls and Bridges - John Lennon
    Band on the Run - Paul McCartney and Wings
    Sandy - Sandy Denny
    Transformer - Lou Reed
    Exile on Main Street - The Rolling Stones
  • Options
    tybird wrote:
    Blind Faith "Blind Faith"

1969, that one.
  • Options
    TowermanTowerman Posts: 228
    No Black Sabbath????.... WTF?

That's like doing a 90's list and not put Pearl Jam on it.
    speaking as a child of the 90's
  • Options
    EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    Towerman wrote:
    That's like doing a 90's list and not put Pearl Jam on it.

I could see that
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • Options
    eclecticeclectic Posts: 244
    Echoes wrote:

The Pistols album may well be trashy from one viewpoint,but is still one of THE most influential albums of all time!!The Clash had the longevity ultimately,but the Pistols at that time had the most impact by a country mile,which is what Punk was all about.A disenfranchised state of mind rather than good musicianship,and that includes The Clash,The Damned etc.Incidentally as a simplistic two fingered piece of musical vitriol,I think its great.
    'All the rusted signs,we ignore throughout our lives,
    Choosing the shiny ones instead'

Reading 06 - Torino 06 - Wembley 07
  • Options
    Okay, here are my favourite 24 albums of the 1970s (and I'm going 1970-79 rather than 1971-80), in no particular order and biased in favour of my favourite artists of the time:

Cry of Love - Jimi Hendrix
    Rainbow Bridge - Jimi Hendrix
    The Madcap Laughs - Syd Barrett
    Barrett - Syd Barrett
    Dark Side of the Moon - Pink Floyd
    Lick My Decals Off, Baby - Captain Beefheart
    Spotlight Kid - Captain Beefheart
    Clear Spot - Captain Beefheart
    Bryter Layter - Nick Drake
    Pink Moon - Nick Drake
    Solid Air - John Martyn
    One World - John Martyn
    Case History - Kevin Coyne
    Marjory Razorblade - Kevin Coyne
    Matching Head and Feet - Kevin Coyne
    Tapestry - Carole King
    The Slider - T Rex
    Marquee Moon - Television
    Imagine - John Lennon
    Walls and Bridges - John Lennon
    Band on the Run - Paul McCartney and Wings
    Sandy - Sandy Denny
    Transformer - Lou Reed
    Exile on Main Street - The Rolling Stones

I have to say,I like most of your list,but there appears to be a distinct lack of joy,gaiety,contentment anywhere.I appreciate music is very much a vibe thing,but if I listened to nothing but largely those albums,I would be hurling myself off Beachy Head or thrusting my head ovenwards pretty quickly I think! Each to their own of course!

P.S Thought Tom Waits may have appeared somewhere?

• Options
    tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    1969, that one.
    I guess I should have checked that out before posting :confused:
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Options
    eclectic wrote:
    I have to say,I like most of your list,but there appears to be a distinct lack of joy,gaiety,contentment anywhere.I appreciate music is very much a vibe thing,but if I listened to nothing but largely those albums,I would be hurling myself off Beachy Head or thrusting my head ovenwards pretty quickly I think! Each to their own of course!

P.S Thought Tom Waits may have appeared somewhere?

You don't find Captain Beefheart fun to listen to? Or T Rex? Or Band on the Run? or Exile on Main Street? Or Marjory Razorblade (even if a lot of its humour is dark)?

There wasn't much feelgood music in the seventies though, apart from the sleazy white soul stuff. Okay, there was reggae, and, er, Madness. But it was the decade of oil crisis and power cuts! If this had been a list of sixties albums, my list would have been much more upbeat. ;)
  • Options
    brhf9brhf9 Posts: 1,475
    as i clash fan i would consider putting their debut on the list...

but your lists are nice to read...i'm a sucker for lists.

and i wonder if you will fall back until the 19th century too... ;)
    'Go easy, step lightly, stay free!'

You have been banned for the following reason:
    inappropriate post.

'Too many people on this earth. We need a new plague.' - Dwight Schrute
  • Options
    You don't find Captain Beefheart fun to listen to? Or T Rex? Or Band on the Run? or Exile on Main Street? Or Marjory Razorblade (even if a lot of its humour is dark)?

There wasn't much feelgood music in the seventies though, apart from the sleazy white soul stuff. Okay, there was reggae, and, er, Madness. But it was the decade of oil crisis and power cuts! If this had been a list of sixties albums, my list would have been much more upbeat. ;)

Some good points granted, but I don't really like the ones you have mentioned above(especially Band on the Run!!).Although I fully concede on T-Rex,I like them and that was a pure oversight on my part(soz),and I do happen to like the dark humour of Kevin Coyne.

P.S - Do you like THE FALL?

• Options
    eclectic wrote:

P.S - Do you like THE FALL?

http://www.rockstar.it/img/mark_e_smith.jpg

A face only a steamroller could love.
  • Options
    iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    OH MY GOD! you forgot Frampton Comes Alive. I'm old so I remember it well

;)
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • Options

He makes Pete'bellend'Doherty look like a model off the cover of Mens Health magazine!!........Leave the Capital,Exit this Roman shell.

• Options
    AxlUlrichAxlUlrich Posts: 12,652

holy shit thats DJ Qualls!

http://gfx.filmweb.pl/p/7933/po.67143.jpg
    LIVERPOOL FC -18 time League Champions-15 time Charity Shield Holders-7 time League Cup Winners-7 time FA Cup Winners-5 time European Champions-4 time UEFA Cup Winners-3 time European Super Cup Winners-1 time World Super Cup Winners

Walk on with hope in your heart
    YNWA
  • Options
    fadafada Posts: 1,032
    1 Quadrophenia The Who
    2 Irish Tour Rory Gallagher
    3 Led Zeppelin IV Led Zeppelin
    4 All Things Must Pass george Harrison
    5 Imagine John Lennon
    6 Blood on the tracks Bob Dylan
    7 Who's Next the who
    8 Dark Side of the moon Pink Floyd