My latest album purchase - BRMC

jhawk98jhawk98 Posts: 145
edited June 2006 in Other Music
Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - BRMC

Picked this up last weekend and have been spinning it off and on all week. I really enjoy Howl (I still think its one of the best albums of this decade so far) and so I thought I would go for this one next. I'm still getting into it, and it hasn't hit me like Howl did, but I think its decent.

The first three songs are really good, uptempo rock songs (not unlike the opening of avocado). Whatever happened to my Rock and Roll is very easy to get into, so thats my early favorite. Need to listen more to get into the rest of the songs and absorb the lyrics, etc.

I've read a lot of reviews of this band's efforts bashing them for being rip-offs of Jesus and Mary Chain. Who cares? Every single band in existence is a rip-off of someone that came before in some way. I dismiss this criticism. I think these guys just plain play good rock and roll, as evidenced by at least these two solid albums. Can I get a hallelujah?
rock chalk
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    uhhh dude these guys sound pretty much identical to JAMC. Not that it is bad, though, but most of the time I just listen to the jesus and mary chain instead

BRMC's new album is pretty good
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • jhawk98jhawk98 Posts: 145
    Echoes wrote:
    uhhh dude these guys sound pretty much identical to JAMC. Not that it is bad, though, but most of the time I just listen to the jesus and mary chain instead

BRMC's new album is pretty good

Again -

SO WHAT??? JAMC didn't invent the fuzzed-out guitar-based melody. I could say that they "stole" it from Love & Rockets, who "stole" it from Velvet Underground.... and on and on. It's not a valid criticism.
    rock chalk
  • sickwilliesickwillie Posts: 178
    I have a circle of friends with wildly varying tastes in music. For instance, one of my friends loves Black Label Society. Another is big on Alice in Chains. Still another prefers Radiohead, and yet another gets off on Sublime.

Me, I like all of those, and tons more. But, there's not a lot of songs that I can think of that all my friends also like.

"Ain't No Easy Way" is one of those songs.

And, for the record, "Take Them On, On Your Own" is definitely worth looking into, if you haven't already.
    "We've done really well with teenage death songs." -EV
  • mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,868
    go see them live when you can, you wont be dissapointed
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
    sickwillie wrote:
    I have a circle of friends with wildly varying tastes in music. For instance, one of my friends loves Black Label Society. Another is big on Alice in Chains. Still another prefers Radiohead, and yet another gets off on Sublime.

Me, I like all of those, and tons more. But, there's not a lot of songs that I can think of that all my friends also like.

"Ain't No Easy Way" is one of those songs.

And, for the record, "Take Them On, On Your Own" is definitely worth looking into, if you haven't already.

I will no doubt be picking up "Take them on.." These other two records are too good to not do so. In fact, I probably would have bought it at the same time as this one, but they didn't have it.

Aint No easy way IS a great tune. I dig Sympathetic Noose the most on that record I think, but damn near every song is infectious to no end. How about Devil's Waitin'? beautiful.
    rock chalk
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    peter hays used to be in the brian jonestown massacre so when i listen to brmc i hear that influence as well.
    howl was one of my most fave albums last year.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    my point was more "they sound JUST LIKE THE JAMC" and not so much "they much fuzz-based rock"
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • LedZepFanLedZepFan Posts: 1,009
    Honestly, I don't think they sound THAT much like JAMC and personally I don't even care for JAMC...

Now BRMC, I love. First album is good, but I have to be in a very particular mood for it. Second one is hit or miss, some amazing songs and some crap ones...now, Howl, is a masterpiece. LOOOOOOVE that album. Best of last year easily in my opinion.
    I've faced it, a life wasted, and I'm never going back again.

Some die just to live.
    Echoes wrote:
    my point was more "they sound JUST LIKE THE JAMC" and not so much "they much fuzz-based rock"

Actually most of Howl has a MUCH different sound from anything that JAMC ever put out, at least from what I gather. I listened to some JAMC this morning, rifling through Itunes and their catalog. Didn't come across any country/gospel sounding tunes like those that define Howl.
    rock chalk
  • jorg_rockjorg_rock Posts: 6
    I liked Howl, such a good album. I like the vibe about blues, country, all the road meaning, is one of the decent bands in this decade, with reputation and feelin, without gettin much into image and fashion.
  • redharingredharing Posts: 2
    These guys really are good. You can talk all day about how obvious their influences are, but seriously - they're just good and really good live. If you like Howl, you should check their website for the Howl Sessions EP. You can find it in the Goods Section. It has some amazing songs that I think are even better than some of the ones that made Howl.
  • LedZepFanLedZepFan Posts: 1,009
    redharing wrote:
    These guys really are good. You can talk all day about how obvious their influences are, but seriously - they're just good and really good live. If you like Howl, you should check their website for the Howl Sessions EP. You can find it in the Goods Section. It has some amazing songs that I think are even better than some of the ones that made Howl.

Yeah I hear ya man, I really dig "Steal A Ride", "Feel it Now"(Peter actually opened with this when I saw them) and "Pretend"...and I think that they really could have been on Howl but whatever, at least we got out hands on these songs now. Ahem...now if only a certain other band would do that....ahem, PJ
    I've faced it, a life wasted, and I'm never going back again.

Some die just to live.