questions about Smashing Pumpkins Live?

red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
edited September 2007 in Other Music
Is there an opening act this tour or are they just playing solo for 2.5- 3hrs a show? Seems like the reunion shows have been that long?

How are they live seriously? I've been turned off by some boots I have heard in the past but heard they have gotten better (even with the new line up) and I am just looking for honest opinions on their new live performance, both positive and negative.

Are they one of those bands that re arrange the music to their songs like Dylan and the Counting crows do?

Thanks for the help, It's greatly appreciated. :)
PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• well i seen them 3 times and they were just ok. corgan didn't sound too good at either of the 3 shows and some of the guitar solos were way off as well. i'd say decent but nowhere near being a great live band. i wouldn't ever go see them again.
    Oh dear dad
    Can you see me now
    I am myself
    Like you somehow
    I'll ride the wave
    Where it takes me
    I'll hold the pain
    Release me
  • pearljamjenpearljamjen Posts: 13,578
    I saw Billy and James a few years back at the bridge, and I enjoyed. But I wouldn't know about their latest shows, sorry. I wanted to see them in San Fran but the date I could go was sold out. :(
  • JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    I saw them during this tour in Brussels.
    There was no opening act and they played for 2h55min.
    The show was great. Seriously...
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm
  • RicsardRicsard Posts: 1,943
    I saw them this year in Nova Rock festival (Austrian-Hungarian border) one day prior Pearl Jam's show(!) and they kicked major asses! The Hives and Incubus supported them and I couldn't believe how fuckin' spoiled I was...I mean The Hives are one of the greatest European live acts, and I had never seen Incubus till then and they really lived up to my expectations!!! And what about the Pumpkins...??? I am a huge fan of theirs since the Siamese Dream record but this was the first SP show in my life...I couldn't believe when they came out and like 70.000 people went crazy! AAAA...it stil gives me chills:D!!!
    The sound was really good, Jimmy's drumwork was powerful and simply breathtaking - I felt he IS an even better drummer than Matt Cameron!!!...New members were nice and could fill the missing space (D'arcy...ok, I missed James a little)
    and Billy was like I had expected him to be, not worse or better, exactly what I had imagined of him playing live: fuckin' good!
    New and old songs sounded great although some songs could have been a little shorter but that was my only critical observation! The set was just about 95 minutes because of the festival curfew:( but it was not the band's fault!!!

I definitely would go and see them anytime again!
    Budapest.Budapest.Arnhem.Antwerpen.Vienna.Madrid.Katowice.Nova_rock.Nijmegen.Rotterdam.Berlin.Dublin.Belfast.London.Venice.Prague.Stockholm.Copenhagen.Vienna.Leeds.Milton_keynes.Padova.Prague.Seattle1.Seattle2.Chicago1.Budapest.Cracow.Vienna..>>>LONDON.BERLIN1.BERLIN2
    Eddie: Dublin & London
  • saw them on the farewell thing in 2000 or something, was drunk as fuck, broke my elbow crowd surfing to the peak of bullet with butterfly wings....

rat in a .........................CAAAAAAAAAAAAGE!!! yeah that part...it hurt.

they were pretty good live as i recall, again not recalling much from that show.
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • Saw them in Asheville during the residency, and I thought the show was great. They played 3 hours, and they sounded great. However, for the casual fan or for someone who doesn't know much of their stuff, it may not be all that great of an experience. My fiance went to the show with me and hung for the whole thing without complaining, but she didn't enjoy it all that much. I thought the show was great and had a better vibe than the time I saw them in '96.
    We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution.--Bill Hicks
  • I saw them play just a couple of weeks ago in Glasgow.

There was an opening act though it seemed like a thankless task for them.

The Pumpkins were pretty cool. They played for about 2 and a quarter hours, and seemed really tight.

We got a whole bunch of new stuff plus Drown, Bullet With Butterfly Wings, Today....no Cherub Rock though.

My only gripe with them was that they did have a habit of going off inot 10 minute long experimental electronic jams towards the end so it kind of felt the show kind of fizzled out rather than going out with the bang it deserved.

Awesome light show though :)
    A democracy on paper, apparently well ordered, regularly subverted by irrational chaos.

Manchester - 4/6/2000
    London - 20/4/2006
    Dublin - 23/8/2006
    London - 18/6/2007
    New York City - 24/6/2008
    New York City - 25/6/2008 - we will be "what is up" New York
    Manchester - 18/8/2009
    Manchester - 20/6/2012
    Leeds - 6/7/2014
    London - 18/6/2018
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    seen them 3 times, twice at a festival.. one club, club show they played for 2 hours 45mins, not 3 becuase i have the itinerary and it says the curfew is VERY VERY tight
  • JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    When I saw them in May this year, they opened with United States.
    This was just awesome !
    The sound of Chamberlin's drums was incredible.
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm