Thanks to this board for getting me into WILCO wow!

red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
edited February 2008 in Other Music
I saw Wilco back in 96 open for Sheryl Crow and they only had one album, but I guess I was just too young to embrace them as I just can't remember really getting into them, but from talk on this board I have decided to dive into their catalog from discussion on this board and man, they have some awesome stuff.

So far I have to say
Yankee Hotel Foxtrot and Sky Blue sky are my favorites, both awesome albums! :D. I will be listening to "a ghost is born" tonight as well as "summer teeth." sometime this weekend.

I do have a Ticket to see them in March, so I can finally say I saw them proper. Now being 25 years old as opposed to 12, I think I have learned to appreciate great music for what it really is.
Thank you, Wilco fans that's why this board topic "Other Music" rocks.
I am so excited to see them do a full show!
PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• soclosesoclose Posts: 628
    Good for you!

I'm also 25 years old and was unable to appreciate Wilco during the 90's (though my introduction was on TV, not at a concert). I became a fan in the fall of 2005 and instantly felt like I'd found the band I'd been searching for all my life. I got to see them live last fall and had a great time. I'm sure you will as well!

Now for the next step in your journey: Have you heard Uncle Tupelo yet? You'll have to check them out once you're fully acquainted with Wilco.;)
  • i'm 26. i had never even heard of wilco until a few years ago. that's when i became aware of the mermaid avenue project. i had to pick up both albums, because it was just such a cool concept. and i have to say that both mermaid avenue albums are amazing. anyone who isn't familiar with them needs to check them out ASAP.

then a few months ago, i picked up the soundtrack to i'm not there. one of my favorite tracks was jeff tweedy's version of simple twist of fate.

so finally i decided that it was time to check out this band, and i picked up sky blue sky (mostly because everyone on this board had been talking about it). really good album. one of the best of '07 in my opinion. now i guess i'm gonna have to listen to the rest of their catalog...
  • a5pja5pj Posts: 3,882
    well with the other replies im thinking of checking them out now. Any comparisons to what they sounds like??

thanks
    Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?

• red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    I think some of the songs off "Yankee Hotel foxtrot" sound a little like Pete Yorn and a little like the old 97s to me anyway. Maybe some others can come up with better comparisons. Great stuff though. I just got done listening to "a Ghost is born" and it's another good one.
  • soclosesoclose Posts: 628
    a5pj wrote:
    well with the other replies im thinking of checking them out now. Any comparisons to what they sounds like??

thanks

Well, they've been referred to as the American Radiohead, but I think that's a ridiculous comparison.;)

I started to type up a description, but it just wasn't working. To me Wilco sounds like nothing else - but I'll admit to being hugely biased. The gist of the thing is that they progressed from country-rock and folk to 60's/70's style pop to some semi-experimental deconstructed noisy folk music and back to a simply solid rock band with bits of those earlier influences mixed throughout. The main thing is that you'll find fantastic lyrics and great melodies all along the way, and no two records sound alike.

Then if you're anything like me you'll want to check out Uncle Tupelo, Golden Smog, Loose Fur - anything Jeff Tweedy has been involved with. The man has simply taken over my musical life the last couple years.
  • red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    soclose wrote:
    Well, they've been referred to as the American Radiohead, but I think that's a ridiculous comparison.;)

I started to type up a description, but it just wasn't working. To me Wilco sounds like nothing else - but I'll admit to being hugely biased. The gist of the thing is that they progressed from country-rock and folk to 60's/70's style pop to some semi-experimental deconstructed noisy folk music and back to a simply solid rock band with bits of those earlier influences mixed throughout. The main thing is that you'll find fantastic lyrics and great melodies all along the way, and no two records sound alike.

Then if you're anything like me you'll want to check out Uncle Tupelo, Golden Smog, Loose Fur - anything Jeff Tweedy has been involved with. The man has simply taken over my musical life the last couple years.
    Actually, I started to think they sounded a bit like Radio head myself, but then I figured people would think I was crazy. I kind of think the Vocals sound a little bit like Trey Anastasio (Phish Lead singer) vocally but the music stylings of phish and Wilco are completeley different. I know this sounds like a crazy comparison but, I listened to "Yankee Hotel Foxtrot again" after reading this and who they sound like and I kept thinking Vocally kind of like Phish LOL.
    I do agree that wilco is kind of out their in their own league though. I remember them sounding like country when they opened for Sheryl Crow and I just never got into country music ever, but also at 12 years old I was seeing sheryl crow with my parents (when I was into Pearl jam/ Nirvana and stuff like that and that's all I listened to back then. The latter wilco albums don't sound country like at all which is why I think I'm blown away. Awesome songs and some great melodies. "Yankee Hotel Foxtrot" is definitely a favorite of mine, but really I have enjoyed " Sky blue sky" "summer teeth, and "a ghost is born just as much. I am so glad I get to see them again in March.