Alice in Chains tour Should I go see it?

red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
edited August 2006 in Other Music
Hey all,

I saw that AIC has finally announced a date in Dallas for October, and I'm debating weather to go or not. Too me, I think Jerry sang enough lead vocals for this to work, but I have never heard of the guy that is filling Layne's shoes. Does he do a descent job on vocals? For anyone that has seen the new AIC could you please give me a short review and insight on weather to go? I'm just not sure if I feel this will be worth it without Layne, so I figured, I'd get some honest insight. Also how many guest vocalists have they had? I saw a you tube video of the Pantera singer doing would? with Jerry, so was that just a one time deal? and then I know the damageplan singer has done vocals too, and now William Duvall? All help is appreciated.
Thank you.
PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Rambis35Rambis35 Posts: 238
    Definitely go. Jerry, Mike, and Sean sound fantastic, as you would expect. Jerry is one of the finest guitarists you will ever see live. And William DuVall does an outstanding job as the lead singer (Jerry still sings too, and sounds great). I have been a big fan of his other band, Comes With The Fall ( http://www.comeswiththefall.com), but he does a really nice job fronting AiC. He doesn't sound like Layne, which is good, the last thing you want to see is a half-assed imitation of such a great singer. But his voice is powerful enough to hit all the notes, and capture the original vibe of the music. Go for the songs and original members alone, but William's performance will make the show even more worthwhile.

Here's a review I wrote of a recent AiC show in Mass:

http://aliceinchains.com/showReviews/summer_06.aspx#mansfield
  • stonesgstringstonesgstring Posts: 4,613
    Yes you should go! I highly recommend them. Yeah, yeah I know he's not Layne, nor is he pretending to be, but he does a bloody decent job of the vocals.

Well worth seeing in my opinion.
    20/04/06 ~ 23/08/06 ~ 09/09/06

14/09/06, 16/09/06, 17/09/06, 19/09/06, 20/09/06 ~ The Stone lookalike leg of the 2006 tour

18/06/07 - Amazing, just amazing

04/07/06 ~Proud to be part of the AIC Astoria Crew~

Rockin' out to Creadles
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    YES YES YES!!!!!!!!!!!!! Go book your tickets now!

They sound incredible live, William DuVall is an excellent singer and performer. I totally understand your hesitation, but just hearing those songs live again is worth while.
  • ChrisChris Posts: 116
    Definitely go. I havent herad the new guy, but the UK Astoria show got excellent reviews, the songs are amazing, and as you say, Cantrell's voice was a huge part of their sound.

I'll be going if they tour the UK
  • hell yeah!!
    2006 - Astoria, Dublin, Leeds
    2007 - London
    2009 - London, Manchester, London
    2010 - Dublin, Belfast, London
    2011 - Alpine Valley x2
    2012 - Isle of Wight, Manchester x2
  • depploverdepplover Posts: 189
    i just got tickets for the toronto one!!! wooooo
    5/09/06, 5/10/06 - FUCKIN AMAZING!!!!
  • oppie1oppie1 Posts: 755
    got my tix for the Philly show

this will be the 3rd time i saw AiC this year :)
    BoyHitsCar Masked Street Team
    www.lovecorealliance.com

Upcoming boyhitscar concerts:
    11/7/07 - Allentown Pa
    11/11/07 - Hartford Ct

www.myspace.com/briankutys
  • doogdoog Posts: 59
    I just scored tix for Detroit (mt. clemens) and I'm VERY EXCITED.

I never had the opportunity to see AIC back in the day, so i would say it's definitely worth it, to me..

I know it sucks that Layne is not with us anymore, but AIC was/is one of my favorite bands of all time. The venue they are playing is very small here in Detroit, so that's icing on the cake!!
  • heallvenheallven Posts: 68
    I saw them last june in Paris, I was suspicious at first to hear it... but William Duvall made a great job, besides seeing Jerry, Mike and Sean was a really great moment... just close your eyes and think of Layne, and the magic still happens!
    have a great show
  • I'd go see them in either LA or at a festival...you know someone cool would come on as a guest singer.
  • prytocorduroyprytocorduroy Posts: 4,355
    Yes go! Don't pass up on this opportunity. Think about all your AIC favorites, live! Just bought tickets for Balitmore 1 minute after they went on sale. Maybe front row?! :D
  • beetlebeetle Posts: 39
    just bought tix for their show in nyc
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me

8-23-00,8-24-00,4-30-03,7-08-03,7-09-03,7-11-03,9-28-04,9-29-04,10-1-04,5-13-06,5-27-06,6-01-06,6-03-06
  • Rambis35 wrote:
    Definitely go. Jerry, Mike, and Sean sound fantastic, as you would expect. Jerry is one of the finest guitarists you will ever see live. And William DuVall does an outstanding job as the lead singer (Jerry still sings too, and sounds great). I have been a big fan of his other band, Comes With The Fall ( http://www.comeswiththefall.com), but he does a really nice job fronting AiC. He doesn't sound like Layne, which is good, the last thing you want to see is a half-assed imitation of such a great singer. But his voice is powerful enough to hit all the notes, and capture the original vibe of the music. Go for the songs and original members alone, but William's performance will make the show even more worthwhile.

oh thank god.. i was really scared they'd put some jackass like the guy from godsmack up front..

Maybe i'll ditch my hesitation to seeing them.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • I GOT TICKETS FOR PHILLY!!!!!!!!!:D:D:D

Sorry, but omg! I have waited sooo long..missed out twice because of how fast it sold out..and now...now i am FINALLY going!! I love this band so very dearly and i know it will be memorable to say the least.

to the starter of this thread, you ABSOLUTELY should go. Don't even hesitate. If you love it definitely try and go for it.
    "Everyone wants to be the sun that lights up your life, but I'd rather be your moon so I can shine on you during your darkest hour when your sun's not around."
  • oldermanolderman Posts: 1,765
    i've got my tickets for Kansas City. Uptown theater. small venue. should be a great concert!!
    Down the street you can hear her scream youre a disgrace
    As she slams the door in his drunken face
    And now he stands outside
    And all the neighbours start to gossip and drool
    He cries oh, girl you must be mad,
    What happened to the sweet love you and me had?
    Against the door he leans and starts a scene,
    And his tears fall and burn the garden green
  • azwyldcatsazwyldcats Posts: 703
    Don't go, it is like seeing PJ w/o Ed or GNR w/ only Axl or Nirvana w/ a new lead singer...seems pretty lame to me.
    And I'm not living this life without you, I'm selfish and clear
    And you're not leaving here without me, I don't wanna be without
    My best... friend. Wake up, to see you could have it all
  • alobaralobar Posts: 310
    Alice In Chains without Layne? Seriously? Do yourself a favor- don't waste your money.
    "I wanna believe in the mercy of the world again."

WAR + MAGIC BEANS = PEACE
  • Atomic PunkAtomic Punk Posts: 2,941
    Saw them with Layne and have seen them with William.

They were 10 times better with William. Hate to say it, but in my experience, it holds true.
  • stonesgstringstonesgstring Posts: 4,613
    alobar wrote:
    Alice In Chains without Layne? Seriously? Do yourself a favor- don't waste your money.

Are you basing this on having seen them without Layne or just judging? Cos judging without seeing all the facts seems a pretty onesided argument.
    20/04/06 ~ 23/08/06 ~ 09/09/06

14/09/06, 16/09/06, 17/09/06, 19/09/06, 20/09/06 ~ The Stone lookalike leg of the 2006 tour

18/06/07 - Amazing, just amazing

04/07/06 ~Proud to be part of the AIC Astoria Crew~

Rockin' out to Creadles
  • Edge34Edge34 Posts: 233
    Got my stubs for Toronto. Very excited as i never got to see the real deal.
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    red mos wrote:
    Hey all,

I saw that AIC has finally announced a date in Dallas for October, and I'm debating weather to go or not. Too me, I think Jerry sang enough lead vocals for this to work, but I have never heard of the guy that is filling Layne's shoes. Does he do a descent job on vocals? For anyone that has seen the new AIC could you please give me a short review and insight on weather to go? I'm just not sure if I feel this will be worth it without Layne, so I figured, I'd get some honest insight. Also how many guest vocalists have they had? I saw a you tube video of the Pantera singer doing would? with Jerry, so was that just a one time deal? and then I know the damageplan singer has done vocals too, and now William Duvall? All help is appreciated.
    Thank you.
    I have seen Jerry on tour solo 3 times with William singing with him. At all three shows they did AIC songs and it sounded really good.

I would suggest going to this show it should be very good.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • I was lucky enough to catch the 'new' AIC earlier this summer at Rock im Park, and it was really fuckin great! They only had 45 minutes to play, but damn they put most of the bands on that lineup to shame (with the exception of Tool and Deftones of course hehe...and Dir en Grey were just nuts so that doesn't count)

Ignore what the purists will tell you, that it's not AIC without Layne trying to make it like a comparison to Jim Morrisson and the Doors or something. Now NO DISRESPECT at all to the late great Layne Staley in this regard, really...especially since I fuckin love Alice in Chains! I was skeptical before I saw them...but William DuVall's performance was really upto par...some songs it was like listening to a less drug-fucked and depressed Layne...Of course, Cantrell doin the backup vocals as always helped quite a bit too...

So yeah...GO AND SEE THEM IF YOU CAN. Because they probably will hang up their boots as Alice in Chains after this tour. That's what Cantrell indicated in an interview with MTV a few months ago...that they just wanted to kinda do this as a thank you to the fans and a tribute to Staley (RIP).
    //ten.club.#352XXX//
    ***melbourne.19.2.2003|berlin.23.9.2006|berlin.15.08.2009|berlin.04.07.2012|berlin.05.07.2012|amsterdam 16.06.2014|berlin 26.06.2014
  • OdinOdin Posts: 599
    Duval's no Layne, but he's pretty good. And the rest of the band's in tact so I suggest you see them. I've got my tix for their shows in Toronto and Niagara Falls.
  • I was lucky enough to catch the 'new' AIC earlier this summer at Rock im Park, and it was really fuckin great!

Here are my pics from that set:): http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v495/one_schism/Rock-im-Park/AIC/
    //ten.club.#352XXX//
    ***melbourne.19.2.2003|berlin.23.9.2006|berlin.15.08.2009|berlin.04.07.2012|berlin.05.07.2012|amsterdam 16.06.2014|berlin 26.06.2014
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Awesome photo's!

Thank you for sharing
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • I didn't think I would before, but the more I think about it, I think we'll go see them here in Wichita.
    Kansas City 6/12/03 ** Kissimmee 10/9/04 ** Atlantic City 10/1/05 ** Denver 7/2/06 ** Denver 7/3/06 ** Chicago 8/23/09 ** Chicago 8/24/09 ** Kansas City 5/3/10 ** Dallas 11/15/13 ** Oklahoma City 11/16/13 ** St. Louis 10/3/14 ** Tulsa 10/8/14 ** Chicago - Wrigley Field 8/20/16 ** Chicago - Wrigley Field 8/22/16 ** Oklahoma City 9/20/22 ** Ft. Worth 9/15/23

EV - St. Louis 7/1/11 ** Tulsa 11/19/12
  • Rambis35 wrote:

I have to admit, I'm digging his band's music.
    Kansas City 6/12/03 ** Kissimmee 10/9/04 ** Atlantic City 10/1/05 ** Denver 7/2/06 ** Denver 7/3/06 ** Chicago 8/23/09 ** Chicago 8/24/09 ** Kansas City 5/3/10 ** Dallas 11/15/13 ** Oklahoma City 11/16/13 ** St. Louis 10/3/14 ** Tulsa 10/8/14 ** Chicago - Wrigley Field 8/20/16 ** Chicago - Wrigley Field 8/22/16 ** Oklahoma City 9/20/22 ** Ft. Worth 9/15/23

• Rambis35Rambis35 Posts: 238
    Are you talking about Comes With The Fall, Nothingbetter? If so, glad to hear you're into them. I actually think most Pearl Jam fans would really like them. "The Reckoning EP" should be available any day now, 5 new songs for $5. "The Year Is One" is also amazing, one of my favorite albums of the last few years. I wish William was free to pursue CWTF at the moment, but I'm glad he's fronting one of my two favorite bands of all time instead.
  • Rambis35 wrote:
    Are you talking about Comes With The Fall, Nothingbetter? If so, glad to hear you're into them. I actually think most Pearl Jam fans would really like them. "The Reckoning EP" should be available any day now, 5 new songs for $5. "The Year Is One" is also amazing, one of my favorite albums of the last few years. I wish William was free to pursue CWTF at the moment, but I'm glad he's fronting one of my two favorite bands of all time instead.

Yeah, I'm talking about CWTF. I checked them out and I like their sound. It really sticks with you...at least it did with me.

AIC is my second favorite band of all time as well. Sounds like we have similar taste.