Led Zeppelin--Rage Against the Machine

vedhead011vedhead011 Posts: 300
edited July 2006 in Other Music
Don't know how I missed this before but...

I was just checking out Pandora Internet Radio (pretty cool if you don't know about it, http://www.pandora.com) and it started playing The Wanton Song off of Led Zeppelin's Physical Graffiti. When it started playing, I thought that it was Vietnow from Rage Against the Machine. The rolling guitar made it sound like Tom Morrelo ripped Led Zeppelin off as much as Noel Gallagher ripped Lennon off with the the beginning of Don't Look Back In Anger sounding just like Imagine.
AskPearlJam: PearlJama101-guest says: Who's idea was it for Eddie to play banjo on "Soon Forget"?
Eddie: I don't know whose idea it was but it was turned down.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• adam42381adam42381 Posts: 2,505
    I don't hear it man.
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    adam42381 wrote:
    I don't hear it man.

I just did a google search for the words "Vietnow" and "Wanton" and got 459 matches. Most of them are just links to peoples blogs and message board posts, which of course is in no way evidence for me to say "I'm right, it's true!". but I can say that I am nowhere near the first person to think this.
    AskPearlJam: PearlJama101-guest says: Who's idea was it for Eddie to play banjo on "Soon Forget"?
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    There are millions of songs that happen to sound like another just by coincidence. It doesn't mean anyone ripped anyone else off. It just means they happen to sound similar.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • BeavBeav Posts: 223
    Yeah this is kinda how I got into Zeppelin. I heard the Beastie Boys song that has the sample of "The Ocean" in it and said "I think that's on one of my moms records" So I went to listen and found that song. Then I stumbled upon the Wanton Song and thought the same thing as Vedhead. Going through all the records, I fell in love with a lot of songs. And thats how Zeppelin became one of my favorite bands! But yeah I'd say Tom "borrowed" that riff.
    "Sooner or later you'll bare your teeth"
    www.myspace.com/volinic
    www.myspace.com/zane26 (band)
  • vedhead011vedhead011 Posts: 300
    DOSW wrote:
    There are millions of songs that happen to sound like another just by coincidence. It doesn't mean anyone ripped anyone else off. It just means they happen to sound similar.

First of all, I'm not all up in arms about the fact that this is out there, merely surprised (maybe even disappointed) by the fact that I had never noticed it before. I've listened to a lot of Led Zeppelin in my days, and even more Rage Against the Machine. Somehow this never clicked to me.

And I can hear inspirations from one song in another, and no, I don't immediately go running to the message board to report them, but this time around the main guitar riffs of the two songs are extremely similar, in my opinion of course. (man, that's a lot of commas) To my ears, this is one of the most blatant "inspirations" I've ever heard.

"Ripped-off" is a harsh term to use though, you're right.
  • vedhead011 wrote:
    Noel Gallagher ripped Lennon off with the the beginning of Don't Look Back In Anger sounding just like Imagine.

That was intentional.

The song is about Lennon afterall.
  • adam42381adam42381 Posts: 2,505
    icarus wrote:
    its not like led zeppelin never ripped anyone off or anything...
    Now there's a good statement. They were blatantly stealing from old blues musicians. Not a knock on Zeppelin at all, but they clearly stole a lot from Willie Dixon and other old blues singers.
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    adam42381 wrote:
    Now there's a good statement. They were blatantly stealing from old blues musicians. Not a knock on Zeppelin at all, but they clearly stole a lot from Willie Dixon and other old blues singers.

Good point. Everybody has their influences and their tributes, right?
  • DaytimeDilemmaDaytimeDilemma Posts: 2,008
    Wake Up on Rage's first album sounds like the first two chords in Kashmir. But ya know, whatever.
  • edigerediger Posts: 308
    I've never had a problem with bands "stealing/borrowing" riffs from other songs, as long as they do something to it that makes it their own. If it's just the same riff, same key, same tone and all that shit, thats lame.
    Hello, I love you. Won't you tell me your name?
  • LedZepFanLedZepFan Posts: 1,009
    That was intentional.

The song is about Lennon afterall.

Plus Noel Gallagher is brilliant and Oasis is amazing.
    I've faced it, a life wasted, and I'm never going back again.

Some die just to live.