Options

Looking for a New Band

DiscreetDiscreet Posts: 6
edited May 2006 in Other Music
No, not to replace pearl jam, but I would like to get into a new band. Okay, so here is what I like. I like O.A.R and The Urge. I love horns in the music. Any suggestions of a band?
Thanks in advance,
Joey.
Life is like a leaky faucet. Every once in a while, you are bound to have a lime build up.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    HailHailVitalogyHailHailVitalogy Posts: 4,599
    right now im in love with Wolfmother
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2
  • Options
    UKDaveUKDave Posts: 5,557
    Arcade Fire...
    Astoria Crew
    Troubled souls unite, we got ourselves tonight...
    Astoria, Dublin, Reading 06
    Katowice, Wembley 07
    SBE, Manchester, O2 09
    Hyde Park 10
    Manchester 1&2 12
    This is just g'bye for now...
  • Options
    natureboy46natureboy46 Posts: 165
    hunters & collectors.

Aussie band that wrote "Throw Your Arms Around Me". They're no longer around but the had a great horn section in the band.
    In the land of the little kings
    Profit is the only thing
    And everywhere the little kings
    Are getting away with murder
    - Paul Kelly

www.troywass.com
  • Options
    MCGMCG Posts: 780
    Matthew Good Band!!! Download "Apparitions", that song is good enought to make anyone a fan... don't get the studio version though, there is an acoustic one floating around that isn't as good.
    Which came first,
    the bad idea or me befallen by it?
  • Options
    Low_Light03Low_Light03 Posts: 1,227
    I heard Wolfmother is good too. Listen to The Raconteurs and the Kings Of Leon
    If You Give, You Begin To Live

But You Might Die Trying
  • Options
    dirtdirt Posts: 398
    Just a few threads below this one you will see mention of Shannon Hoon and Blind Melon's CD titled, Soup. Check it out -- severely overlooked, IMO. You will love it. One of the best releases from the 1990's.
    drive less - RIDE MORE!
  • Options
    EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    You should get into either Pavement or the Mountain Goats. If you haven't heard of either, just trust me.
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • Options
    bacchanalbacchanal Posts: 149
    they are old as all hell...but i have been taking eddies advice and listening to fugazi alot lately...good stuff...u should give it a listen if u havent already
  • Options
    Thanks to everyone who replied. I will def. check these bands out.
    Take it easy-Joey
    Life is like a leaky faucet. Every once in a while, you are bound to have a lime build up.
  • Options
    EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    Discreet wrote:
    Thanks to everyone who replied. I will def. check these bands out.
    Take it easy-Joey

you better get back to me on it!
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • Options
    enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    If you love horns, and aren't rocking at least one Tower of Power record, you're making a huge mistake. ;)
  • Options
    bluemonkeybluemonkey Posts: 198
    !!danko jones!!
  • Options
    ramspamramspam Posts: 130
    Mr Bungle crazy genre bending music with the greatest singer ever Mike Patton also in Faith No More. They have horns too the album "Mr Bungle" is my favourite but "California" is more accesable to most people and probably is a better introduction
    Only fools have signatures...

+--+-Official Upcoming Australasian Tour:Member #20-+--+
  • Options
    sadprofessorsadprofessor Posts: 1,033
    Echoes wrote:
    You should get into either Pavement or the Mountain Goats. If you haven't heard of either, just trust me.

I will back that up.
    The Man has a branch office in each of our brains, his corporate emblem is a white albatross, each local rep has a cover known as the Ego, and their mission in this world is Bad Shit.
  • Options
    Banana-RamaBanana-Rama Posts: 108
    Jo Pollock or the Flaming Lips
    "If you should die before me, ask if you could bring a friend" - STP

"Frugality without creativity is deprivation." - Amy Dacyczyn

Proud Supporter of the CAROLINA HURRICANES. GO CANES GO!!!
  • Options
    Pat HPat H Posts: 101
    Neutral Milk Hotel, definitely. Not new, not even around anymore, but beautiful
  • Options
    if dont mind listening something in spanish.........then try any of these albums

Soda Stereo... Cancion Animal
    Soda Stereo........Dynamo

Heroes del Silencio.........Avalancha

possibly the 2 best spanish rock groups ever,,,,,,,,
    *Proud member of the forged kings nebulae; those of us who love Binaural and Riot Act, and also think that Matt Cameron is the f*ckin greatest!

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=7142004942
    my pearl jam page
    No, not to replace pearl jam, but I would like to get into a new band. Okay, so here is what I like. I like O.A.R and The Urge. I love horns in the music. Any suggestions of a band?
    Thanks in advance,
    Joey.

Phanerothyme ~ Motorpsycho If you like arragements you'll love this album.
    Let them eat cake ~ Motorpsycho If you like horns you'll love this album.
    The song Superstooge that is on Trust us has great saxophone's in it.
    « One man's glory is another man's hell.
    You’re on the outside, never bound by such a spell.
    Together in the darkness, alone in the light.
    I took it upon me to be yours, Timmy,
    I’ll lead your angels and demons at play tonight......»
  • Options
    dr. Mowinckeldr. Mowinckel Posts: 211
    Kaizers Orchestra, dEUS (no horns but just great bands)
    The zutons use a saxophone and I think they put up a great performance on Jools last night.
    There's a trapdoor in the sun!
    2000 Pinkpop Festival, Netherlands
    2006 Arnhem, Netherlands
    2006 Antwerp, Belgium
    2007 Nijmegen, Netherlands
    2009 Philadelphia 4, PA
    2010 Bristow, VA
    2012 Amsterdam 1, Netherlands
    2013 Buffalo, NY
    2013 Baltimore, MD
    2015 Global Citizen Festival New York, NY
    2016 Hampton, VA
  • Options
    Mike BradyMike Brady Posts: 19
    Mike Brady Here,

First step: Put the O.A.R. cd in your car cd player, drive down the road for about 10 minutes and then throw it out the fuckin' window.

Second step: Check out some Black Crowes (Three Snakes or Southern Harmony to start) New Earth Mud-This Magnificent Distance (Chris Robinson's side project) The Soup recomendation is great if you've never heard the melon. Also check out Tool's 10,000 days or Ben Harper's Both Sides of the Gun if you're lookin' for new stuff.

Peace.
  • Options
    karma defectkarma defect Posts: 5,483
    Kaizers Orchestra, dEUS (no horns but just great bands)
    The zutons use a saxophone and I think they put up a great performance on Jools last night.

Hey Dutchy do you know Cheech wizard?
    « One man's glory is another man's hell.
    You’re on the outside, never bound by such a spell.
    Together in the darkness, alone in the light.
    I took it upon me to be yours, Timmy,
    I’ll lead your angels and demons at play tonight......»
  • Options
    JOHNNY VS.JOHNNY VS. Posts: 39
    Check out Crowded House. Gone but not forgotten. Eddie likes them. Also Screaming Trees. Not new bands but you may like them if your'e not familiar.
  • Options
    Mike Brady wrote:
    Mike Brady Here,

First step: Put the O.A.R. cd in your car cd player, drive down the road for about 10 minutes and then throw it out the fuckin' window.

Second step: Check out some Black Crowes (Three Snakes or Southern Harmony to start) New Earth Mud-This Magnificent Distance (Chris Robinson's side project) The Soup recomendation is great if you've never heard the melon. Also check out Tool's 10,000 days or Ben Harper's Both Sides of the Gun if you're lookin' for new stuff.

Peace.

Hey now, I understand everyone has different tastes. I have went to itunes and downloaded/previewed some of these bands. I like a few, and I don't like a few. But I respect that people like them and like them enough to suggest them to other people. Everyone has different tastes thank god. O.A.R. is my second favorite band who really respects Pearl Jam. They put on an excellent live show and the sax is amazing on many tracks. I compare them equally almost to Pearl Jam. If I had the opportunity to see Pearl Jam or O.A.R. front row on the same night, I don't know who I would pick. But hey, I respect that you have different musical tastes. If we all like the same music, we would be living in a boring world.
    Again thanks to everyone,
    Tower of Power and Pavement were excellent suggestions. I already have/like crowded house(neil/tim finn), screaming trees, blind melon, kings of leon, along with a few of the others mentioned--but thanks for them anyways. See many of you in Chicago #1 hopefully.
    Joey