Nick Drake anybody?

western pearlwestern pearl Posts: 632
edited January 2007 in Other Music
I just recently started listening to some of his stuff after listening again to his song 'one of these things first' on the garden state soundtrack. I've listened to some of Bryter Layter. If i buy one of his albums, which should i buy first.

Aside from this, i looked into a bit of his story... kind of sad what happened to him and all. Anybody have any opinions about it? It kind of sounds like an accidental overdose to me rather than suicide although the guy was severely depressed.
"Everyone is a patriot in some form or another.... i prefer the intelligent ones."

"She fell funny"

"Klaus Daimler, 40, engineer, calm, collected, German"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• they're all good, but pink moon is a masterpiece
    Cheat the odds that made you
    Brave to try to gamble at times
  • nick drake was truely a special musician. Forgotten and not appreciated during his own time, in the last few years he has gotten the praise he deserves.

One cant really describe his music, its just so powerful, so pure, and so special.

All his albums are great, he only has three, but Pink Moon is sort of reguarded as his masterpiece. My favorite song on that is Place to Be, which I think could be the greatest song ever written.

When I listen to Nick Drake, its almost like a feeling of catharsis, or a feeling of something rare. His music means a great deal to me.

I think although he was depressed he was able to express his feelings through song, that although written thirty years ago, don't sound dated or old, but sound fresh and powerful.

As I said in a previous thread about Nick Drake, run, dont walk, to your local cd store and buy all his records immediately
  • nick drake was truely a special musician. Forgotten and not appreciated during his own time, in the last few years he has gotten the praise he deserves.

One cant really describe his music, its just so powerful, so pure, and so special.

All his albums are great, he only has three, but Pink Moon is sort of reguarded as his masterpiece. My favorite song on that is Place to Be, which I think could be the greatest song ever written.

When I listen to Nick Drake, its almost like a feeling of catharsis, or a feeling of something rare. His music means a great deal to me.

I think although he was depressed he was able to express his feelings through song, that although written thirty years ago, don't sound dated or old, but sound fresh and powerful.

As I said in a previous thread about Nick Drake, run, dont walk, to your local cd store and buy all his records immediately

place to be is one of my favs too. great song.
    me you wouldn't recall, cause i'm not my former.
  • place to be is one of my favs too. great song.

Did you ever hear his 1969 home demo of "Place To Be"? The guitar playing is much more arpeggiated, and lush. It's fascinating to compare it, with what he recorded much later on, for "Pink Moon".
  • Did you ever hear his 1969 home demo of "Place To Be"? The guitar playing is much more arpeggiated, and lush. It's fascinating to compare it, with what he recorded much later on, for "Pink Moon".

The demo is absolutely incredible...blows away the album version.
  • Thanks everybody for your input. As soon as i get done paying for school and books i'll have to pick em up
    "Everyone is a patriot in some form or another.... i prefer the intelligent ones."

"She fell funny"

"Klaus Daimler, 40, engineer, calm, collected, German"