Prince covering the foos to piss them off?

western pearlwestern pearl Posts: 632
edited February 2007 in Other Music
http://www.dose.ca/music/story.html?id=ec95b4fd-ff5d-4c4b-92e9-150be3484163&k=97650

I had no idea that Prince was pissed at the Foo Fighters for covering Darling Nikki. He said that they should find their own songs to write. Why in the hell would anybody get pissed about somebody covering your song? Bands do it all the time and is considered the ultimate form of flattery in the music business. Maybe it was a peace offering? Who knows what that guy is thinking. Imo, he's a good musician but he's a bit out there. I don't think anyone will dispute that.
"Everyone is a patriot in some form or another.... i prefer the intelligent ones."

"She fell funny"

"Klaus Daimler, 40, engineer, calm, collected, German"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• normnorm Posts: 31,146
    "Prince’s beef with the Foo Fighters began after their version of “Darling Nikki” showed up as a B-side, which unintentionally took off with U.S. radio play. The purple one took offense, telling Entertainment Weekly that the Foos should "write [their] own tunes."

But it was ok for Sinead to cover one of your songs. Come on Prince. :confused:
  • I thought this beef was a joke, more or less a tongue-in-cheek approach, but oh well.
    I share a cigarette with negativity.
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    cutback wrote:
    "Prince’s beef with the Foo Fighters began after their version of “Darling Nikki” showed up as a B-side, which unintentionally took off with U.S. radio play. The purple one took offense, telling Entertainment Weekly that the Foos should "write [their] own tunes."

But it was ok for Sinead to cover one of your songs. Come on Prince. :confused:
    If I remember correctly, Prince "gave" or wrote that song for Sinead as well as one for the Bangles.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • cyndi lauper also covers a prince tune on her debut album.
  • Isn't he like the most pretentious artist ever after Micheal Jackson?

Or is that Bono?

(Relax, j/k! Sort of.)
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    Simple Mind's covered and released as a single Sign O' The Times, how is it different?
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    tybird wrote:
    If I remember correctly, Prince "gave" or wrote that song for Sinead as well as one for the Bangles.

Well it isn't like Foo stole the song. They have to pay royalties on it.
  • red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    tybird wrote:

Prince wrote Nothing compares 2 U but never sang it from what I understand. He gave that song to Sinead O' Connor and it appears on her I do not want what I haven't got album. If this is old news, I apologize. :o
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • i dont really like the foo fighters, but that is one of the best covers made. however, nowadays a band doesn't even have to get permission to make a cover, they just a fee and then it's out there -- i think that's a little unfair to the original artist. yes, it's flattering to have a song covered, but on one hand a really shitty band can get famous off a song that's not even theirs (not the case here). for instance that teeny pop band the ataris covered a don henly song and that was their claim to fame. that sucks, if i was don henly, i would have said the same thing prince said about the foos. so i guess i understand prince's beef, but the foos still did a good job with the song. and i think they're credible enough to toy with some covers.
  • i dont really like the foo fighters, but that is one of the best covers made. however, nowadays a band doesn't even have to get permission to make a cover, they just a fee and then it's out there -- i think that's a little unfair to the original artist. yes, it's flattering to have a song covered, but on one hand a really shitty band can get famous off a song that's not even theirs (not the case here). for instance that teeny pop band the ataris covered a don henly song and that was their claim to fame. that sucks, if i was don henly, i would have said the same thing prince said about the foos. so i guess i understand prince's beef, but the foos still did a good job with the song. and i think they're credible enough to toy with some covers.

Smooth Criminal by Alien Ant Farm comes to mind...
  • Smooth Criminal by Alien Ant Farm comes to mind...

Don't remind us...please!!
    "Darth Vader would say 'Impressive'."

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
    6/14/08 Manchester, Tennessee