The Hold Steady tonight in Philly!!!!

Brain of J.LoBrain of J.Lo Posts: 3,259
edited October 2007 in Other Music
:D

Ok, you guys were right.

I get it now. :D:D:D

You'd have to have just seen your entire family eaten by bears to not enjoy their show. :D

Art Brut was loads of fun, too!!!

My ears are fucking shot, but it was worth it!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    hehe, excellent! im glad you enjoyed it :) im so excited for my show later this month. they are just a blast live and have so much fun.

im intrigued by art brut...

• im intrigued by art brut...

When my husband first started playing Bang Bang Rock & Roll, it really didn't register with me. I had a similar feeling about them that I had with The Hold Steady...but then, sometime last summer, something just clicked and I started loving the hell out of that record. Their new record isn't quite as good (IMO), but it's still fun and actually when I heard the songs live, I liked them better.

They were fantastic and really fun in the same way that The Hold Steady was, so I think you'll love them.
  • Red LukinRed Lukin Posts: 2,994
    I saw them at Lolla and they were a lot of fun to watch. I hope to get to see them in their own environment some day.

The lead singer reminds me of Gord from the Tragically Hip - so full of energy.

I'm glad you enjoyed the show.
  • The new Art Brut songs came off very very well live...it kind of made me realize that they're really good pop songs; they just originally went against my expectations for what art brut songs "should" sound like, based on the first record. They put on such a fantastic, fun show though....it was just the perfect pairing.

And to anyone who hates the hold steady and ends up liking them after seeing them live...its just not a fair fight. People dont know what theyre up against ;)

some of the transcendent joy: :)

(Killer Parties)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5ANVE3AcaY

(Good Weekend)
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=w16t6BaRcGk
    "Many of Pearl Jam's most loyal fans are teenagers who do not have the money to pay the $50 or more that is often charged today for tickets to a popular concert...we have made a conscious decision that we do not want to put the price of our concerts out of the reach of many of our fans." 6/94
  • bird jambird jam Posts: 107
    Got to hang out with THS after a recent show - they are really cool.
    Liberace was great on the piano but he sucked on the organ.
  • bird jam wrote:

show off!

;):D
    bird jam wrote:

i can imagine. saw them again last night at the metro and they were amazing. they rival pearl jam for the vibe at their shows. i love it.

there was also a dude with a pearl jam shirt on the front railing right ahead of me... wonder if he's from round here.
  • Edved82Edved82 Posts: 1,279
    I'm not being a kill-joy in any way, but i saw them supporting the Rolling Stones at Slane this year and they were absolutely awful. One of the worst live rock bands I have ever seen, and I have seen a lot. Maybe i just got them on a bad day?
    "...though my problems are meaningless....that don't make them go away...."
    edved82 wrote:
    I'm not being a kill-joy in any way, but i saw them supporting the Rolling Stones at Slane this year and they were absolutely awful. One of the worst live rock bands I have ever seen, and I have seen a lot. Maybe i just got them on a bad day?

possibly. in addition, i imagine the crowd was pretty lame. i've heard opening for the stones is a tough slot cos nobody gives a flying fuck about you. plus, their scene is much more the small club/bar one. you get to a show with their diehard faithful in close quarters and tell me you don't get caught up in the excitement :) hell, even pearl jam had a tough time opening for the stones and they had a TON of hits that even stones fans would know. hold steady hasn't been heard by anyone who's not looking for them. i can't imagine they'd come off well in a huge stadium from miles away with a totally apathetic crowd. but the vibe at one of their own shows, like i said, rivals the communal spirit of a pearl jam show. the show i saw last night at the metro was better than pearl jam's show at the vic.
    possibly. in addition, i imagine the crowd was pretty lame. i've heard opening for the stones is a tough slot cos nobody gives a flying fuck about you. plus, their scene is much more the small club/bar one. you get to a show with their diehard faithful in close quarters and tell me you don't get caught up in the excitement :) hell, even pearl jam had a tough time opening for the stones and they had a TON of hits that even stones fans would know. hold steady hasn't been heard by anyone who's not looking for them. i can't imagine they'd come off well in a huge stadium from miles away with a totally apathetic crowd. but the vibe at one of their own shows, like i said, rivals the communal spirit of a pearl jam show. the show i saw last night at the metro was better than pearl jam's show at the vic.

ah i know that opening for the stones is tough, but they were just terrible i thought - singer couldnt hold a note, and just all-round didnt like em really. but each to their own, good luck to them
    edved82 wrote:
    ah i know that opening for the stones is tough, but they were just terrible i thought - singer couldnt hold a note, and just all-round didnt like em really. but each to their own, good luck to them

yeah, his vocal style needs some getting used to. he's not really singing, so holding notes is irrelevant. it's more like poetry to music than singing. it turns a lot of people off, and if you'd never heard them before, i imagine you'd be sitting there going "what the fuck?" i didn't like their album at all when i first heard it. but for some reason i kept putting it on over the next few weeks and eventually it just clicked. then i saw them live... hopefully that one show won't put you off them forever.
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,851
    edved82 wrote:

nah
    I felt the same after seeing them at lolla

the lead singer is just too much-elvis costello's mutant bastard child.

and lurch on guitar

the music is ok, but I thought they were terrible live
    Get_Right wrote:
    nah
    I felt the same after seeing them at lolla

the lead singer is just too much-elvis costello's mutant bastard child.

and lurch on guitar

the music is ok, but I thought they were terrible live

yeah that thought struck me at slane i must say! he even has all the elvis costello mannerism's on-stage. maybe they're the kind of band that need to be seen indoors then?
  • bird jambird jam Posts: 107
    edved82 wrote:
    yeah that thought struck me at slane i must say! he even has all the elvis costello mannerism's on-stage. maybe they're the kind of band that need to be seen indoors then?

I saw them outside at Bonnaroo and they were awesome. Maybe they had an off night when you saw them or maybe they are just not your cup of tea.
    Liberace was great on the piano but he sucked on the organ.
  • bird jam wrote:
    or maybe they are just not your cup of tea.

I think, more than likely, it's that.

I can see how someone could love them or hate them, but if you've seen them live and weren't moved...then they're not for you.