If you haven't seen The Hold Steady live...

Brain of J.LoBrain of J.Lo Posts: 3,259
edited June 2008 in Other Music
...you owe it to yourself to do so. I don't care if you absolutely hate them. By the time the show is over, you will see the light. :D

Sorry...just saw them tonight at Penn's Landing and I felt the need to witness! :D
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    I've been wanting to see these guys live for a long time, but they never do a proper Canadian tour. Bands don't seem to realize that there are plenty of cities and towns to play up here. There's more to this country than f**king Toronto and Vancouver.

*end of rant*
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • My friend is a huge fucking fan and he convinced me to see them at Pitchfork here next month...so I'll be there with fucking bells on.
    Horry Kow!
  • J-PJ-P Posts: 16
    They played a free concert in Boston on Thursday night but it was 21+ so I'll have to wait until the fall. Their new album is supposed to be another great record.

What are your thoughts on their lyrics? I've started to see a backlash from some people who criticize their style but I think Craig Finn is my favorite lyricist today.
  • Brain of mJBrain of mJ Posts: 786
    I second that, best band playing the club circut today. I figure with this album though they're going to be graduating to bigger venues soon.
  • dharma69dharma69 Posts: 1,275
    ...you owe it to yourself to do so. I don't care if you absolutely hate them. By the time the show is over, you will see the light. :D

Sorry...just saw them tonight at Penn's Landing and I felt the need to witness! :D
    With a keyboardist who looks like a cross between Carlos D. and Gomez from The Addams Family.

I'm not as high on them as you seem to be but I've seen them and they are quite good live. Fun energy and lively.
    "I'm here to see Pearl Jam."- Bono

...signed...the token black Pearl Jam fan.

FaceSpace
  • PaukPauk Posts: 1,084
    I saw them last summer since everyone here was hyping them, but I found the show kinda boring, it was much ado about nothing really.

They go in the 'Hyped ad nauseum' list with My Morning Jacket.
    Paul
    '06 - London, Dublin, Reading
    '07 - Katowice, Wembley, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    '09 - London, Manchester, London
    '12 - Manchester, Manchester, Berlin, Stockholm, Copenhagen
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,858
    Ive seen them twice and really dont get it.
    they have energy, but that lead singer is so annoying.
  • zircona1zircona1 Posts: 293
    I saw them last year, they put on a pretty good show. They all looked like they were having a good time. I'd go see them again if they came to town and the tix remain relatively cheap.
    "As long as the music's loud enough, we won't hear the world falling apart."—Jubilee

"I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions." - George Carlin
  • J-PJ-P Posts: 16
    Get_Right wrote:
    Ive seen them twice and really dont get it.
    they have energy, but that lead singer is so annoying.

I was definitely annoyed with him when I first heard the band but after awhile, I get used to his style of like ranting/talking as opposed to singing and grew to enjoy it.
  • muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    They're playing in Newcastle. Around my parts, they're virtually unheard of, so nobody wants to go. Very frustrating!
  • i was at the Penns Landing show too and i really enjoyed it. Nobody was there though. it really surprised me as i feel like they are on the fast track. we walked right up to the front - like 20 feet away with no problems. it was cool for us, but i was dissappointed it wasn't a little more crazy. it was a hot humid Saturday so that might have something to do with it. i would much rather see them in a bar.

i know many people that can't stand them, but i like the bar band, stupid lyrics thing they have going. it's like "Alternative Bruce" as i tell people when i want to describe them. it's just catchy, fun stuff.
    Those undecided,........ Needn't have faith to be free
    And those misguided, There was a plan for them to be
    Now you got both sides Claiming killing in Gods name
    But God is nowhere,..... To be found, conveniently

What goes on?