Art Brut

Brain of J.LoBrain of J.Lo Posts: 3,259
edited August 2007 in Other Music
Anyone else think the new Art Brut record is a bit disappointing? I'm hoping it will slowly grow on me, but to be honest, the first song is really the only one that's really on par with everything on Bang Bang Rock & Roll, and the rest are a little boring...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    definitely disappointing. Bang Bang was SO good though, tough to follow that one up.

So yeah, I feel the same as you. Like most punk-type records, they tend to grow on me a tad.
  • stu geestu gee Posts: 1,174
    Havent heard the new one but ive been looking forward to it. A lot of bands dont really work with just a guy basically talking rather than singing but they suit it well. Emily Kane - What a Tune!! http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=z1vNUOYwUoY
    People say im paranoid. Well, they dont say it, but i know that's what they are thinking.
  • FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    Are they those divs who did "look at us, we formed a band"?

I liked them.
  • Brain of J.LoBrain of J.Lo Posts: 3,259
    transplant wrote:
    definitely disappointing. Bang Bang was SO good though, tough to follow that one up.

So yeah, I feel the same as you. Like most punk-type records, they tend to grow on me a tad.

Very true... That's why I'm willing to give it several listens.

And honestly, I didn't like Bang Bang Rock & Roll until my husband had played it a few times. Now it's one of my favorites.
  • stu geestu gee Posts: 1,174
    Are they those divs who did "look at us, we formed a band"?

I liked them.

Yeah thats them. Love that song. 'We're going to write the song, that makes Israel and Palestine get along.' Not sure if they are just still putting the finishing touches to that one lol

This is that song you mean though. Its different from the album version though. http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=qryAwfpHG8o

I also love the one that goes 'my little brother just discovered rock n roll, he's only 22 and he's out of control!!' lol
    People say im paranoid. Well, they dont say it, but i know that's what they are thinking.
  • blacknapkinsblacknapkins Posts: 2,176
    Give it another chance. "Direct Hit" is a really fun song. :)
    "Information is not knowledge.
    Knowledge is not wisdom.
    Wisdom is not truth.
    Truth is not beauty.
    Beauty is not love.
    Love is not music.
    Music is the best."
    ~ FZ ~
  • Admittedly, I haven't given the new album a lot of listens, but it seems more like a grower (perhaps have more replay value) than their first album. All the songs are good, but they seem to have toned themselves down a bit. Its not a bad thing, its nice to see that they aren't a one-trick pony.
    I share a cigarette with negativity.
  • blacknapkinsblacknapkins Posts: 2,176
    Here's their appeal for me ... the band is very tight (and awesome live) and you get caught up in the instrumentals while you're waiting for the lyrics to kick in. ... then ... you get Eddie Argus talking ... but if you listen, the lyrics are clever as shit ... and biting at times and the story's engaging.
    "Information is not knowledge.
    Knowledge is not wisdom.
    Wisdom is not truth.
    Truth is not beauty.
    Beauty is not love.
    Love is not music.
    Music is the best."
    ~ FZ ~
  • PegasusPegasus Posts: 3,754
    I'd never heard of them.
    saw them in Southside..first couple of songs I was like wtf? but I ended up really enjoying the performance.

I downloaded a couple of the albums to check..but on record, they do nothing for me.

so I'll be happy to see them live again, will pay for that..but will never buy an album.
    Galliano was the same (saw them in Glastonbury in 94 and 95, then went to see them when they played locally..awesome band live..never bought an album)
  • Ready, Art Brut???
  • Brain of J.LoBrain of J.Lo Posts: 3,259
    the lyrics are clever as shit ... and biting at times and the story's engaging.

yeah, that is what ultimately hooked me. :)
  • Its really grown on me...I think the let down was extra strong due to the fact that the opening track...Im terrible with titles...is as good or better than the best stuff on Bang Bang; then it goes really downhill really quick. There are a few songs that I find completely boring and that I basically cant listen to...and a few others with one or two really great lyrics that make me grin...and a few other thoroughly great ones. Basically its a great record; but following Bang Bang diminishes its value just a bit.

all that said....got tickets for Hold Steady/Art Brut today and Im motherfucking *giddy*. Its gonna be a long few weeks till that show. Ive seen a lot of shows in the past, say, five years; and those two individually have been top-5.

...If I was the type of person to compulsively "top-5" everything in my life. Which, of course, Im so totally not. :)
    "Many of Pearl Jam's most loyal fans are teenagers who do not have the money to pay the $50 or more that is often charged today for tickets to a popular concert...we have made a conscious decision that we do not want to put the price of our concerts out of the reach of many of our fans." 6/94
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,710
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly