Options

Living Colour

jumpin cat rivaljumpin cat rival Posts: 254
edited February 2006 in Other Music
Anybody here dig this group???

they were a bit too funky for my taste, but the in overall they were really good....

whaddaya think?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Living_Colour
*Proud member of the forged kings nebulae; those of us who love Binaural and Riot Act, and also think that Matt Cameron is the f*ckin greatest!

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=7142004942
my pearl jam page

Comments

• Options
    I think I've only ever heard one of their songs - Cult of Personality. I totally dug that song the first time I heard it, and I still get excited when I hear it played on the radio (which is about two or three times a week). Other than that, i don't know too much about the band.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."
    -John Lennon
  • Options
    gtbrown77 wrote:
    I think I've only ever heard one of their songs - Cult of Personality. I totally dug that song the first time I heard it, and I still get excited when I hear it played on the radio (which is about two or three times a week). Other than that, i don't know too much about the band.

you may try Type, Leave it alone, or love rears its ugly head......

or their most commercial tune.......glamour boys,,,,,,,,,,which is more or less ok....
    *Proud member of the forged kings nebulae; those of us who love Binaural and Riot Act, and also think that Matt Cameron is the f*ckin greatest!

my pearl jam page
  • Options
    yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    I too have only heard Cult of Personality, but definitely dig this tune. Anymore good recomendations of these guys?
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • Options
    barcoachbarcoach Posts: 413
    I used to like them lots when they first came out. I thought this was just what rock needed. Remember they came out at a time when Motley Crue, and Poison, and all those bands still ruled the world... and then appears this band with a debut album that I still think was a blast integrated only by black people, even at that age I understood that was a shock to the system, and I've always loved to crash people's schemes.
    Vivid their first album was pretty awesome. I didn't like much their second. Then I digged their third, though it seemed like very elaborated without real need to be like that. Then I lost their track until recently when I found out they had a new album that I didn't bother to buy. I think my view would be they promised so much but then something happened and their attractive just vanished, at least for me.
    Recently Epic released a live album from back in the day, I got it more for nostalgic reasons, but actually it's quite worth the listen, though I think I haven't gone back to it since I purchased. They had the potential, but didn't know how to endure. I really liked those guys, hope they could prove me wrong.
    Stone: Thanks for the pick and the night of complicity, you rock!
    -The crazy guy with the Ramones t-shirt.
    Mexico C. 12/10/05.

"There is a rose that I want to live for
    although, God knows, I may not have met her"
    -J. Strummer

"And you'll never know just how dark this screen could be"
  • Options
    boroff89boroff89 Posts: 786
    Vivid was the first CD I ever bought. I still have it but don't listen to it often. When I do put it in, it's usually for "Open Letter to a Landlord."
    It makes much more sense to live in the present tense.
  • Options
    I love Living Colour. I saw them live during their "Staind" tour, and that show is probably in my top ten list of concerts I have ever been to. Their first three albums - Vivid, Times Up, and Staind are all worth a listen to. My favorite is Times Up, although it takes a while to get used to. Biscuits is also a good EP with a great cover of "Love and Happienies".

There are two other albums - Pride (which is more or less a rarities, remix, and b-side album) and their most recent from 2003 - Kalidescope. I never purchase the Kalidescope album because I wasn't too impressed with what I have heard of it. I also watched one of their concerts live online shortly after they reunited, and it just didn't seem the same as what they were like in the 90's.
  • Options
    Thanks for the comments....

and yes someone mention the fact they were sort of a shock to the system, them being black....the good thing is that they strenght wanst based on that aspect rather than in their music.........

bye----

my pearl jam page

Saw these guys open for Prophets of Rage a couple of years ago, they bring the goods.
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

• Options
    halvhalv Posts: 680
    Easily one of my favourite bands from the 80’s and early 90’s.  Vivid and Times Up are outright classics. Stain and Shade are excellent as well. Brilliant socially concious lyrics, amazing singer and a powerhouse band live. Ageless as well. Saw them a couple of years ago and still killer. 
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,225
    Great live band.
    Saw them twice in clubs (after missing them open for the Stones on Steel Wheels tour cause one of my friends was lollygagging getting ready and we hit massive traffic)
    1993 at Avalon in Boston with Candlebox opening and 2001 at The Paradise.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,067
    One of the best live shows I've ever seen was these guys in a small Somerville, MA blues club. 2009 right after they released The Chair In The Doorway. First set was the new album, second set and encore was the classics. They absolutely burned the place down. Not to be missed when they play your town.