Built To Spill, Guided By Voices...

PaulJamPaulJam Posts: 163
edited September 2006 in Other Music
Does anyone like either of these bands? And could you recommend an album or two?

Thanks.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• SoupySoupy Posts: 171
    I like Built To Spill. Own 4 albums by them (there are more older ones as well).
    My Fav of the 4 is 'Ancient Melodies of the Future' but they are all good.

Couldn't get into Guided by Voices, brought one album by them by didn't like it at all.
  • PaulJamPaulJam Posts: 163
    cheers dude!

EDIT: That was weird. Just as I posted this reply a song from Ancient Melodies came on Launch (A Yahoo personalized radio service).

Funnily enough it's called 'Strange'.
  • Built to Spill are great, I just saw them on Wednesday night and they are tight live.

All their albums are great, but I'm going to go ahead and recommend the live disc, keep it like a secret, perfect from now on, and you in reverse.
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
  • i love both of these bands. seeing built to spill in philly in a couple weeks.

BUILT TO SPILL (don't have all of them, but...)
    1 Keep it Like a Secret
    2 Perfect from Now On
    3 You in Reverse
    4 There's Nothing Wrong with Love
    5 Ancient Melodies of the Future

GUIDED BY VOICES (so many to pick from)
    1 Bee Thousand
    2 Alien Lanes
    (this is where the dropoff begins. I think most people would agree those two are the best two. But then, it's mostly personal peference.
    3 Under the Bushes Under the Stars
    4 Mag Earwhig!
    5 Isolation Drills
    6 Propeller
    Those undecided,........ Needn't have faith to be free
    And those misguided, There was a plan for them to be
    Now you got both sides Claiming killing in Gods name
    But God is nowhere,..... To be found, conveniently

What goes on?
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Soupy wrote:
    I like Built To Spill. Own 4 albums by them (there are more older ones as well).
    My Fav of the 4 is 'Ancient Melodies of the Future' but they are all good.

Couldn't get into Guided by Voices, brought one album by them by didn't like it at all.

I like GBV but i'm not the best to give advice on where to start with them.

I love Built to spill. Ancient Melodies is a good ablum but soupy may be in the minority in thinking it is their best (which is cool to each their own)

I think most folks would say their best albums to start with are either perfect from now on or keep it like a secret. both excellent in my opinion.

i actually picked up the live cd first and that is what hooked me. I would suggest that so you can get a feel of quite a few of their songs. Their latest release this year you in reverse is also quite good. Problaby my third favorite release this year.

I think you are about to get into two very good bands! :)
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    PaulJam wrote:
    Does anyone like either of these bands? And could you recommend an album or two?

Thanks.

love both bands. i suggest perfect from now on and keep it like a secret from built to spill...

you need to talk to stoneg82 bout guided by voices. check out robert pollard too ;)
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
  • The latest Built to Spill album is tremendous, as is Keep it like a Secret.

Guided by Voices always have at least 5 great songs in each album. They were so prolific. Their best song i reckon is Glad Girls. You should probably start by buying the best of GBV as its cheap and spectacular all the way through.
    Q"What's your favourite Beatles album?"
    A"The Best of the Beatles."
  • With Guided by Voices, it can be tempting to start with the best of album, but I would say to go straight for the masterpiece and pick up Bee Thousand, if you like that, then get the two that directly follow it Alien Lanes and Under the Bushes Under the Stars. The best of has some really great songs on it, but honestly now that I own the records I find that none of my favorite songs were on that CD.
    The Man has a branch office in each of our brains, his corporate emblem is a white albatross, each local rep has a cover known as the Ego, and their mission in this world is Bad Shit.
  • PaulJamPaulJam Posts: 163
    Cheers to everyone for the replies. Yeah, I was considering getting the GBV greatest hits (although I prefer studio albums).

The songs that got me in to both were 'Goin Against Your Mind' and 'Hot Freaks'. Great stuff. I like almost everything I've heard now so will keep a look out for good deals!
  • for GBV, go with the best of. It's has a great selection of new and old. Bob handpicked and sequenced the songs, too. You really can't go wrong.

if you dig GBV after that, pick up Bee Thousand, Alien Lanes, and Under the Bushes, Under the Stars. I'd recommend Propeller after that. Pollard's solo material is brilliant also. My personal favorites are:

Not in my Airforce
    Waved Out
    From a Compound Eye

you may also want to check out their box set called "Box". it has their early records and a collection of outtakes that is actually one of their best releases. amazon usually has it for around 30-35 bucks.

as far as BtS goes, check out "There's Nothing Wrong with Love" and "Perfect From Now On". BtS actually kinda sounds like GBV on nothing wrong with love. It's my favorite record by them.

I'd say every record from Nothing Wrong with Love up through the live record is worth owning. pick up the new one if you dig those records. don't bother with Ancient Melodies until you REALLY love BtS.
    "What’s Orphans? I don’t know. Orphans is a dead end kid driving a coffin with big tires across the Ohio River wearing welding goggles and a wife beater with a lit firecracker in his ear." - Tom Waits
  • brhf9brhf9 Posts: 1,475
    that 'goin against your mind' song by Built to Spill is one of my favs. this year.
    'Go easy, step lightly, stay free!'

You have been banned for the following reason:
    inappropriate post.

'Too many people on this earth. We need a new plague.' - Dwight Schrute
  • Get the Live BTS album...its great and got me into them.

GBV - half smiles of the decomposed.
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    i love both of these bands. seeing built to spill in philly in a couple weeks.

BUILT TO SPILL (don't have all of them, but...)
    1 Keep it Like a Secret
    2 Perfect from Now On
    3 You in Reverse
    4 There's Nothing Wrong with Love
    5 Ancient Melodies of the Future

what else is there? besides the live disc of course?

im seeing them tonight. id say keep it like a secret is their most accessible. then perfect from now on. both of those albums are pretty much flawless.
  • toddiet123 wrote:

GBV - half smiles of the decomposed.

good call.....it's very fitting for a farewell record.

bob really nailed it on this one....best GBV record since Under The Bushes, I'd have to say.
    "What’s Orphans? I don’t know. Orphans is a dead end kid driving a coffin with big tires across the Ohio River wearing welding goggles and a wife beater with a lit firecracker in his ear." - Tom Waits
  • what else is there? besides the live disc of course?

im seeing them tonight. id say keep it like a secret is their most accessible. then perfect from now on. both of those albums are pretty much flawless.

the live one, "Ultimate Alternative Wavers," "The Normal Years." I think the normal years might be an EP. Always see it in the record store, but never buy it for some reason. it has an awesome cover though:

http://allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:wcfxlfjehcqe

well...i guess i pretty much do have all of them :confused:
    Those undecided,........ Needn't have faith to be free
    And those misguided, There was a plan for them to be
    Now you got both sides Claiming killing in Gods name
    But God is nowhere,..... To be found, conveniently

What goes on?