Neon Bible by The Arcade Fire

PaulJamPaulJam Posts: 163
edited June 2007 in Other Music
I waited over 2 years for this. Funeral was one of the greatest things Ive ever heard and I never believed for a second that they'd get near it again. But for me the new album, Neon Bible, is up there with it.

The only way to listen to this album is to start from the first song (Black Mirror), to the penultimate (No Cars Go), or the last (My Body is a Cage). Dont skip anything in between.

Black Mirror just lays the foundations perfectly for what is to come. It's such a subtly beautiful song. The trembling percussion, the rising sound of the keys into the chorus.

I saw them live at Glastonbury last week. There were about 50,000 of us there and it was out of control. How can a band be this good?

Thank you God, for bringing me the Arcade Fire.

The End.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• LiftedLifted Posts: 1,836
    PaulJam wrote:
    How can a band be this good?

The End.

great album. great band. but i find myself asking the same thing about pearl jam and my morning jacket. i guess theres a few bands that are just great and then there are the rest of them.
  • Yeah, tis a great great album. 'Ocean of Noise' is one of the best they've ever recorded.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 MSG I, Fenway I, Fenway II
  • Man you saw them at Glastonbury? You lucky bastard! Me and the wife were going to watch the Arcade highlights on TV, but they were going to make us wait till half past 1 in the bloody morning and we were tired as hell so we went to bed...

Neon Bible is actually better than Funeral imo. Funeral was a near perfect album, Neon Bible is a 99.9% perfect album. I'll let you guess my one (tiny) criticism of it. :)
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • PaulJamPaulJam Posts: 163
    Now now my friend. Windowsill cant be every song. There needs to be others too. And what fine 'others' they are :-)

But there's only one Windowsill.

Walking along...

...singing a song.

...walking in a Windowsill wonderland...

I dont wanna fight in a holy war.
    I dont want the salesman knocking at my door.
    I don't wanna live in America no more

Cause the tide is high
    And it's rising still
    And I don't wanna see it at my windowsill
  • PaulJamPaulJam Posts: 163
    seriously. I dunno. I read somewhere that it should end with No Cars Go.

Makes perfect sense to me for a few reasons.

The whole album is quite grim (thematically) and then No Cars Go is like this big escape/get out song.

Secondly, My Body Is A Cage is probably the weakest song on the album. Although Trent Reznor has written many songs like this that have been hailed as genius (when in reality they're not even as good).

Anyway, less about Trent Reznor.

They were so f*Cking good at Glastonbury. I was completely overcome with happines. One of those rare moments. You get a few every Glastonbury. This was the most exhilarating. Man, it's like a drug, every time I think of that performance now, I just want to see them again!
  • pearljam0000pearljam0000 Posts: 450
    PaulJam wrote:

Anyway, less about Trent Reznor.
    No more about Trent Reznor. NIN is my favorite band lets talks about them. Anyone think they will tour the US anytime this year or next?
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    PaulJam wrote:
    I waited over 2 years for this. Funeral was one of the greatest things Ive ever heard and I never believed for a second that they'd get near it again. But for me the new album, Neon Bible, is up there with it.

The only way to listen to this album is to start from the first song (Black Mirror), to the penultimate (No Cars Go), or the last (My Body is a Cage). Dont skip anything in between.

Black Mirror just lays the foundations perfectly for what is to come. It's such a subtly beautiful song. The trembling percussion, the rising sound of the keys into the chorus.

I saw them live at Glastonbury last week. There were about 50,000 of us there and it was out of control. How can a band be this good?

The End.

I saw them at Coachella a few months back.

Of the hundred or so bands I have seen at Coachella over the years, they did the most ever to unify the crowd. Their set caused a great sense of community.

They are playing at the Hollywood Bowl with LCD Soundsystem...I got me seats in the 5th row of the pit!

WooHoo!
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    I like Neon Bible a whole lot more than Funeral. I heard Neon Bible first though, so maybe that has something to do with it. For me, the vocals on Funeral really bring it down... Win definitely improved on Neon Bible.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • DOSW wrote:
    I like Neon Bible a whole lot more than Funeral. I heard Neon Bible first though, so maybe that has something to do with it. For me, the vocals on Funeral really bring it down... Win definitely improved on Neon Bible.

Agreed.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

• dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    Man you saw them at Glastonbury? You lucky bastard! Me and the wife were going to watch the Arcade highlights on TV, but they were going to make us wait till half past 1 in the bloody morning and we were tired as hell so we went to bed...

Neon Bible is actually better than Funeral imo. Funeral was a near perfect album, Neon Bible is a 99.9% perfect album. I'll let you guess my one (tiny) criticism of it. :)

you go to youtube
    type in "arcade fire glastonbury"
    watch and admire

i watched their whole set 2 nights ago.... superbatudes... and i've got tickets to see them in October :cool:
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    yes, neon bible is awesome. in my opinion more consistent than funeral.

but, i hate windowsill my brothers - terrible song!
    Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
  • dunkman wrote:
    you go to youtube
    type in "arcade fire glastonbury"
    watch and admire

i watched their whole set 2 nights ago.... superbatudes... and i've got tickets to see them in October :cool:

Cool cheers I'll go to Youtube then..

And yes, we all know about your tickets :rolleyes:

We talked about seeing them in November but Bill Bailey is on in the same month. We're trying to limit our 'gig-going' for money reasons, and we've never seen a stand-up comedy show, so that's what we went for that month.

I might regret it, but oh well. Present Tense and all that.

• dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    and we've never seen a stand-up comedy show, so that's what we went for that month.

you've never been to a stand-up gig... oh you're in for a treat my friend.

i always get a sore head cos i laugh so much :D
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    This is one of my favorite albums i have purchased this year.

I saw them in 05 in a club and 07 in a theatre and both times were great.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • MCGMCG Posts: 780
    Can't really make a connection with Neon Bible, it was good but not up to my expectations.
    Which came first,
    the bad idea or me befallen by it?
  • A note about Windowsill...I fell in love with it at the same time I was reading Benjamin Barber's "Jihad vs. McWorld" and "Consumed"...anyoen else familiar? They go perfect with each other.
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    A note about Windowsill...I fell in love with it at the same time I was reading Benjamin Barber's "Jihad vs. McWorld" and "Consumed"...anyoen else familiar? They go perfect with each other.
    have not read it but that is cool.

this is a great album one of my favorites this year
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • asgoodasedasgoodased Posts: 109
    Looks like I'm in the minority here. I thought NB was ok, but nowhere near my expectations. Of course, I had really high expectations.
    I am right by your side...