Saw Chris Cornell in Austin last night ...

slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,762
edited May 2007 in Other Music
One word. Wow.

Seriously, he sounds great. I had long feared that Audioslave had completely fried his voice, but no. He sounds better than ever, honestly.

It was a great show, filled with old Soundgarden (he played more off Badmotorfinger than Down on the Upside), some of the better Audioslave tunes (I was never a huge fan) and the best of his solo stuff.

My only complaint was he didn't play guitar enough. He wrote most of these songs, and played on most of them in Soundgarden. He should play on them now.

My favorite part of the show was probably the four song acoustic interlude Cornell played by himself. It was a new song, Can't Change Me off his solo record, and a couple of covers -- Redemption Song and a Zeppelin tune I can't place right this second. I could have listened to him play solo all night.

Anyway, if you get a chance to see Cornell sometime soon, I highly recommend it, even if you didn't like his Audioslave stuff.

Oh, and to make this thread PJ related, the guy who sang Ed's part on Hungerstrike sounded nothing like ed. But he was still better than Corin Tucker :)
everybody wants the most they can possibly get
for the least they could possibly do
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    At least someone's touring the South ;).
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • Low_Light03Low_Light03 Posts: 1,227
    did he play Thank You?
    If You Give, You Begin To Live

But You Might Die Trying
  • slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,762
    did he play Thank You?

Bingo. That was it.

Thanks for playing. You win a harmonica. :)
  • GR8DaneGR8Dane Posts: 957
    .....wish he would come to Seattle as well.......
    Everybody made a movie....
    Everybody had a one line.....
    Everybody misses Andy....
    We'll be seeing him in no time.... Oh Yeah.....

We are Red, we are White, we are Danish Dynamite!
  • SBC03SBC03 Posts: 502
    any temple songs?

"thank you"????

If the sun refused to shine,
    I would still be loving you.
    When mountains crumble to the sea,
    There would still be you and me.
    Kind woman, I give you my all;
    Kind woman, nothing more.
    Little drops of rain
    Whisper of the pain,
    Tears of love's lost in the days gone by.
    My love is strong.
    With you there is no wrong.
    Together we shall go until we die,
    My, my, my.
    An inspiration's what you are to me;
    Inspiration, look and see.
    And so today my world, it smiles.
    Your hand in mine, we walk the miles.
    But thanks to you it will be done,
    For you to me are the only one.
    Happiness, no more be sad;
    Happiness, I'm glad.
    If the sun refused to shine,
    I would still be loving you.
    When mountains crumble to the sea,
    There would still be you and me.
    See this needle...a see my hand...
    Drop drop dropping it down...oh so gently...
    Well here it comes...I touch the plane...
    Turn me up...won't turn you away...
  • ¤ Vale ¤¤ Vale ¤ Posts: 1,910
    I saw some news videos, and his voice is really great!
    Peace. Love. Music.
    PJ Come Back to BRASIL!

o°••°o..o°••°o..o°••°o..o°••°o..o°••°o

"I will feel alive as long as I am free"

SBC03 wrote:
    any temple songs?

Just Hungerstrike.

At other tour stops he'd done Say Hello 2 Heaven, Call me a Dog and All Nite Thing ... so I was hoping for a bit more. but ah well.

On another note, there was a fucked up sweet cover of Billie Jean by Michael Jackson. No, I'm not kidding. Apparently, it's gonna be on his new album.
  • ¤ Vale ¤¤ Vale ¤ Posts: 1,910
    did he play Thank You?

Cornell's version is better than Led's version... ;)
    Peace. Love. Music.
    PJ Come Back to BRASIL!

"I will feel alive as long as I am free"

so this thread gets moved to other music, but the one about Courtney Love and the one about Wolfmother can stay on the Porch.

At least this one was semi-PJ related ...

ah well. nobody ever comes to this board so this thread just died.
  • the Dallas Cornell show was amazing as well. we got LOUD LOVE!!!!

and no need for Chris to play guitar cause he's got 2 guitarists in the band, he only had to in SG cause it was just Kim and him...
  • pjtaperpjtaper Posts: 3,020
    yeah, with the TOTD songs, they shouldn't have moved it...

I am so jealous, he isn't coming anywhere close to me, and I've been buying too many posters to travel, but goddamn would I love to see one of these shows!
  • stpmattbstpmattb Posts: 956
    GR8Dane wrote:
    .....wish he would come to Seattle as well.......

He will be.
  • I would say that Slaves and Bulldozers would be his toughest song, and after seeing him in Dallas, I no longer doubt that he could do it.

I posted something about how great his voice was for the Dallas show. Loud Love was amazing. We got Say Hello to Heaven, and on Hunger Strike the other guy wasn't trying to shine with the vocals, he was just humbly filling in so Chris could do the singing, more like he was doing backup than a duet, very cool. Chris mentioned that "Usually I do this one with a friend of mine but he's not here". A nice little nod to Ed. We got nothing from Down on the Upside though. He's played Zero Chance a couple of times, I was really hoping for that one. I wish I could have driven down to Austin. Can't wait to see if he tours again.
  • Rapunzel64Rapunzel64 Posts: 129
    I was in Austin, too. It was an AMAZING show. Chris really connected to the audience and showed how much he loves performing. He put the rumors about his voice to rest by showing that he still has the range it takes to sing the Soundgarden and Audioslave songs.

It was wonderful seeing him in a small venue. I hope he comes back again soon.
  • suns22suns22 Posts: 94
    It was a kick ass show, definitely one of the best I've seen at Stubb's. I was really surprised when he played Pretty Noose from Down on the Upside...I hadn't listened to that song in years. I think my highlight of the night was Sunshower....they really tore that one up!
    San Antonio '03
    Houston '03
    Dallas '03
    Hopefully more to come in TX.......some day.
    Bonnaroo '08
  • whodunnitb4whodunnitb4 Posts: 77
    Here is a setlist of his songs, although I think he threw extra stuff in there for the crazy guy who's been following him from Boston, to Dallas, to Austin. Chris was commenting he never saw anyone sweat so much. He was very interactive with the audience. The whole crowd was rowdy, upbeat, and really drew out a great performance. Chris was really entertained by the crowd's excitement. Life has been good to Chris...he looks so damn young!
    His musicians were great, talked, signed autographs, and hung out at a bar close by.

Spoonman
    Outshined
    Original Fire
    No Such Thing
    Be Yourself
    Hunger Strike
    What You Are
    Rusty Cage
    Seasons
    Doesn't Remind Me
    Your Soul Today
    Billie Jean
    Cochise

1st Encore
    Like a Stone
    Sunshower (yesssss!!)
    Black Hole Sun

2nd Encore
    Pretty Noose
    Slaves and Bulldozers
    the Dallas Cornell show was amazing as well. we got LOUD LOVE!!!!

and no need for Chris to play guitar cause he's got 2 guitarists in the band, he only had to in SG cause it was just Kim and him...

Got two answers for that, pick the one you like the best:

1) fire one of the guitarists. Chris is better

or 2) that never stopped ed before.

Either way, Chris kind of looks like a douche just singing for two hours. Like he's auditioning for American Idol or something. He needs a guitar in his hand.

Again, this was my only complaint with his show.
  • IlovveePJIlovveePJ Posts: 145
    One word. Wow.

Seriously, he sounds great. I had long feared that Audioslave had completely fried his voice, but no. He sounds better than ever, honestly.

It was a great show, filled with old Soundgarden (he played more off Badmotorfinger than Down on the Upside), some of the better Audioslave tunes (I was never a huge fan) and the best of his solo stuff.

My only complaint was he didn't play guitar enough. He wrote most of these songs, and played on most of them in Soundgarden. He should play on them now.

My favorite part of the show was probably the four song acoustic interlude Cornell played by himself. It was a new song, Can't Change Me off his solo record, and a couple of covers -- Redemption Song and a Zeppelin tune I can't place right this second. I could have listened to him play solo all night.

Anyway, if you get a chance to see Cornell sometime soon, I highly recommend it, even if you didn't like his Audioslave stuff.

Oh, and to make this thread PJ related, the guy who sang Ed's part on Hungerstrike sounded nothing like ed. But he was still better than Corin Tucker :)

I went to that!!! We ended up in the front row by the end of the night! It was freakin amazing!
    Cincinnati. 6.24.06 Portland. 7.20.06 Gorge I. 7.22.06 London. 6.18.07
    Lollapalooza. 8.5.07 West Palm Beach. 6.11.08 Bonnaroo. 6.14.08
    Hartford. Mansfield.

www.myspace.com/lkatmeimsandrab
  • bookmusebookmuse Posts: 277
    Either way, Chris kind of looks like a douche just singing for two hours. Like he's auditioning for American Idol or something. He needs a guitar in his hand.

:eek:- did you just say Chris looked like a douche singing without a guitar?

I respectfully disagree -

I was so hoping he'd play Thank You when he was in Minneapolis but alas he did not. Love his version of one of my favorite love songs of all time.
    "Speak your mind even if your voice shakes" ~ M Kuhn
  • iamrockmusiciamrockmusic Posts: 443
    Just got home from seeing him in Phoenix. I was so fucking impressed with his voice... I honestly thought he never sounded better than he did on TOTD and that was obviously 16 years ago, so I wasn't expecting too much from him, just faithful performances of the songs, if not all the high notes he used to hit.

Let me just say that he hit every damn note... every single one tonight. He sounded absolutely stellar. Slaves and Bulldozers was just sick... It was the last show of the night and it sounded like I was listening to Badmotorfinger again, cranked to 11. Setlist was similar to the other one posted here earlier, which I'll share in a moment.

2 more things to say:

1. His band sounded fantastic. They were all very good players, stayed true to the original versions of the songs, but when given moments to shine, they sounded fantastic.
    2. We waited around after the show to see if we could meet Chris. I have a vinyl Hunger Strike picture disc I really wanted him to sign, as well as the 45 for Can't Change Me. Although everyone in his band came out, honestly seeming gracious for the attention, Chris ducked into a car and took off right away. Didn't even ride on the bus. I'm not one to say he's pompous or a jerk or anything like that, but I was a bit disappointed. You can tell that he enjoys the shit out of being onstage and the crowd tonight was wicked loud, but I was disappointed that he wouldn't say hello to the 25 or so fans that had waited almost an hour for him. Yes, it was cool to meet his band and they were nice, but everyone there was waiting for Chris, so it was a bit of a letdown.

All that being said, if he was playing here again tomorrow night, I'd gladly go see him. He writes great songs and sounds absolutely fantastic playing them.

Tonight's Setlist:

Spoonman
    Outshined
    Original Fire
    No Such Thing
    Be Yourself
    Hunger Strike
    Mission
    What You Are
    Rusty Cage
    Seasons
    (For the next few songs, he played acoustic, just him)
    New Song (not sure of name)
    Can't Change Me
    I Am The Highway
    Doesn't Remind Me (band came back midway through)
    Your Soul Today
    Billie Jean
    Cochise
    Like A Stone
    Sunshower
    Black Hole Sun
    Arms Around Your Love (awesome new song)
    Slaves and Bulldozers (definitely the highlight of the night)
    Mesa 11/7/93 - Charlotte 10/4/96 - DC 6/14/98 - Raleigh 8/31/98 - Knoxville 9/6/98 - Columbia MD 9/18/98 - DC 9/19/98 - Columbia MD 9/4/00 - Phoenix 10/21/00 - Raleigh 4/15/03 - Phoenix 6/7/03 - Philadelphia 5/27&28/06 - DC 5/30/06 - Las Vegas 7/6/06 - San Diego 7/7/06 - LA 7/9&10/06 - Gorge 7/22&23/06 - Chicago 8/5/07 - PJ20 9/3&4/11 - Jacksonville 11/24/12 (EV) - Orlando 11/27/12 (EV) - Brooklyn 10/18&19/13 - Charlotte 10/30/13 - Memphis 10/14/14 - Ft Lauderdale 4/8/16 - Miami 4/9/16 - Jacksonville 4/13/16 - Hampton 4/18/16 - Chicago 8/20&22/16