Minus the Bear - Live

JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
edited October 2007 in Other Music
So I picked up one of their records after someone suggested it here, and it took A LOt of listens, but it grew on me and I LOVE IT now.

They are playing here this monday and I'm thinking about going. Has anyone else here seen them live? What can I expect?

Alos, I'd like to pick up one more album this weekend before the show. I was thinking about getting the new one Ice Planet just because that's whatI assumeI'l lhear the most of. Anybody have any other suggestions for albums?

Thanks!!!
Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    They are playing here Friday night and i'm strongly considering seeing them again.

I saw them a couple years ago in a hole in the wall club that held like 150 people. Literally we were packed in like sardines. they left the door to the club open becasue people could not get in and were actually out on the door steps trying to pear in (club oversold teh show).

That said it was sweaty and awesome because it was so packed. They are not flashy live. They play a good passionate set.

What album do you have. I would suggest going in order

Highly Refined Pirates
    Menos El Olso
    Planet Ice

But you may want to pick up planet ice becasue as you mentioned they will probably play a lot of that. Planet ice is a little different more spacey sounds. They sound a little like Mars Volta when they are jamming sometimes on this new album. I really like it.

the second half of the album is very very good.

Tickets are probalby not too expensive i would suggest checking them out if i were you.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • morockamorocka Posts: 26
    Another reason Seattle still rules...Minus the Bear... Should open for PJ next tour. would be sweet...
    "Give me the ringer dude,chop,chop!"
  • BinGnarlyBinGnarly Posts: 508
    I was just telling my buddy about Minus the Bear today. I still to this day have no clue how the song Memphis and 53rd got into my iTunes but it was randomly one day. So I gave it a listen and it was amazing. So I checked out more Minus the Bear and loved them. I havnt seen them live I missed them when they came through. But next time im for sure going.
    Shows:
    San Diego 2003
    Grand Rapids 2004
    Grand Rapids 2006
    Detroit 2006
    Columbus 2010

"With my own two hands I can change the world."
  • BremertonBremerton Posts: 279
    They are one of my favorite bands, and I've seen them multiple times. They are entertaining, but not spectacular by any means. It is definitely worth seeing if the tickets are under $20 in a club. I would also take a look at their best EP - They Make Beer Commercials Like This. It has 6 upbeat songs that are a often overlooked. This is What I Know About Being Gigantic also has 4 good songs on it. The other EP sucks.
  • iamsampjiamsampj Posts: 784
    i just got into them about a year ago, but i love them. i'm going to be going to see them in orlando @ firestone on sunday...excited :)

i can report back on sunday night if it's help?! but, i'd say go for it...go see them.
    yes...i do feel like a human. i do not feel like a tree.
  • cc10106cc10106 Posts: 385
    They're playing here next weekend, and I hope to attend since I've heard great things about their show. Now that I'm really familiar with their last 2 records (constant rotation in last month), I need to check out their other shite.

Also, the second half of their new one is fuking awesome.
  • Thanks everybody!
    I'm definitely going. It's on Monday, so it's not tlike I have anything better to do.

I will pick up They Make Beer Commercials Like This, Menos El Olso, or Planet Ice. I already have Highly refined Pirates - thats the only one I have but its awesome too!
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • I saw them twice on the Menos el Oso Tour, the first show in vancouver was amazing as the club could only hold 75 people. They played a good variety of songs, and had lots of energy. The second time was the tour closer in seattle, at neumo's, and you could tell they were tired and kinda mailed in the show....the setlist though, was great again, with a few songs that they didn't play at the first show...so hopefully, you get them on a good day, cause I enjoyed the miller high life more at the seattle show than the band.
  • vmfuryvmfury Posts: 1,091
    A friend of mine LOVES this band. I took a listen and must say...they're pretty damn good.
    We’ll meet again, but not yet…not yet. 
  • iamsampj wrote:
    i just got into them about a year ago, but i love them. i'm going to be going to see them in orlando @ firestone on sunday...excited :)

i can report back on sunday night if it's help?! but, i'd say go for it...go see them.

How was it???!
  • iamsampjiamsampj Posts: 784
    How was it???!
    it was really good!! the club was packed...it was an all ages show. the crowd had a great energy...though there was a bit of moshing/crowd surfing. it was fun to watch from the balcony.
    I was glad that I made the drive over to orlando for it...even though I'm sooo tired to day at work.
    get there early to check out the helio sequence...they were awesome!
    you'll have a good time tonight :)
    yes...i do feel like a human. i do not feel like a tree.