Ticketmaster Promotes Scalping

Curly JoeCurly Joe Posts: 66
edited February 2008 in The Porch
I was trying to get 3 tickets to the Allman Brothers Band in May for me & my 2 brothers. Tix went on sale Saturday at 10 am. I was on ticketmaster at around noon that day, and no tickets were available. Knowing that tickets sometimes become available later on, I have been trying at random times ever since then with no luck.

I noticed a new tab I haven't seen before. It was right next to the one you'd normally use to purchase tickets. This one said "bid on auction". I clicked on it and found tons of tickets on sale for way above face value. Right on ticketmaster dot com. How can this be allowed? I'm not sure if it's legal or whatever... But it's certainly NOT FAIR.

HELP ME, PEARL JAM!!!!!!!!

Sincerely,
A very disgruntled Curly Joe
motel money murder madness
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• zenithzenith Posts: 3,191
    its bad enough that you can look on ebay two minutes after they go on sale, but a direct link????? Is that to ebay - or an auction setup by ticketmaster itself???

but really, what can be done - boycott artists who allow their shows to be sold off in this manner??
    impatience is a gift ........
  • the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    yet another reason to hate TM.
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • ticketmaster sucks, you're preachin to the choir.

luckily when i buy bonnaroo tickets on saturday, in no way will the 100,000 people that show up there be supporting those fucks.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 MSG I, Fenway I, Fenway II
  • zenith wrote:
    its bad enough that you can look on ebay two minutes after they go on sale, but a direct link????? Is that to ebay - or an auction setup by ticketmaster itself???

but really, what can be done - boycott artists who allow their shows to be sold off in this manner??

It seems like it's set up by Ticketmonster. I don't see ebay or any other auction site mentioned anywhere.
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,970
    Curly Joe wrote:
    It seems like it's set up by Ticketmonster. I don't see ebay or any other auction site mentioned anywhere.

its run by TM and they have been doing it for awhile.

they are trying to grab a share of the aftermarket business themselves.
    But it should be no surprise that the general public hasnt had access to great seats through TM in years.
  • Get_Right wrote:
    its run by TM and they have been doing it for awhile.

they are trying to grab a share of the aftermarket business themselves.
    But it should be no surprise that the general public hasnt had access to great seats through TM in years.

My question is - who exactly is buying these tickets before anyone else can get their hands on them, then auctioning them off? It's gotta be ticketmaster themselves. It would seem that it's just a way for TM to overcharge for premium seats.
  • Screw all the greedy fucks at Ticketmaster. If Dante was writing his Divine Comedy now, he'd have a cozy place in hell for those bastards.
    one foot in the door
    the other foot in the gutter
    sweet smell that they adore
    I think I'd rather smother
    -The Replacements-
  • Red LukinRed Lukin Posts: 2,994
    They get worse and worse. I heard recently that their services charges went up. Their order processing fee as well as their regular S/C. I think they'll keep raping the market until someone steps in. Where is the Gov't when you actually need them?

I think I just read on the Other Music forum that some guy paid 66% in S/C for a pair of tix. I try to buy from small record stores when I can. I buy from this record store in Toronto that takes a maximum of 10% as a service charge. That's amazing when you compare it to TM.
  • Red LukinRed Lukin Posts: 2,994
    Curly Joe wrote:
    My question is - who exactly is buying these tickets before anyone else can get their hands on them, then auctioning them off? It's gotta be ticketmaster themselves. It would seem that it's just a way for TM to overcharge for premium seats.

My guess is TM says to the venues - "we want to be able to auction x pairs of tickets if you wanna do business with us" They are the underground M$. No one does shit about their greedy tactics bc revenue wise they are no where near M$ or other shit companies.
  • TheGossmanTheGossman Posts: 1,120
    Curly Joe wrote:
    I was trying to get 3 tickets to the Allman Brothers Band in May for me & my 2 brothers. Tix went on sale Saturday at 10 am. I was on ticketmaster at around noon that day, and no tickets were available. Knowing that tickets sometimes become available later on, I have been trying at random times ever since then with no luck.

I noticed a new tab I haven't seen before. It was right next to the one you'd normally use to purchase tickets. This one said "bid on auction". I clicked on it and found tons of tickets on sale for way above face value. Right on ticketmaster dot com. How can this be allowed? I'm not sure if it's legal or whatever... But it's certainly NOT FAIR.

Sincerely,

I have been seeing these for a while now, been going on for a while now, I guess they too now are "above the law"
    9/4/98, 8/4/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/15/03, 4/16/03, 4/19/03, 4/25/03, 4/26/03, 4/28/03, 4/29/03, 4/30/03, 7/8/03, 7/9/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/6/04, 9/1/05, 9/2/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 8/5/07, 6/11/08, 6/12/08, 6/14/08, 6/16/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08
    Curly Joe wrote:

exactly, tm is doing it themselves

I am convinced that less than 30% of all tickets are available to the public during any pre-sale or public onsale and that the best tickets are never available to the public. (In most cases-yes there are exceptions)
    Red Lukin wrote:
    My guess is TM says to the venues - "we want to be able to auction x pairs of tickets if you wanna do business with us" They are the underground M$. No one does shit about their greedy tactics bc revenue wise they are no where near M$ or other shit companies.

they dont need to make agreements

they already have locked up the distribution rights for most venues in the country

that is why live nation had to begin buying venues and fixing them up, so they could compete with TM.

They can do as they please without any competition.
  • It's not TM getting all the profits. They get a cut of them, but the majority goes to the promoter. Ticketmaster cannot auction tickets unless the promoter authorizes the seats for auction. The promoter usually okays this with the band.

I would be surprised to see Pearl Jam tickets on a TM auction, unless the proceeds are going to charity.
  • TheGossmanTheGossman Posts: 1,120
    what is the use of getting up at 10am to buy tickets anymore? I'm sure Ticketmaster and the promoter just hold all the good seats now and auction them, sickening, I wish PJ would have sank their ship years ago
    9/4/98, 8/4/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/15/03, 4/16/03, 4/19/03, 4/25/03, 4/26/03, 4/28/03, 4/29/03, 4/30/03, 7/8/03, 7/9/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/6/04, 9/1/05, 9/2/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 8/5/07, 6/11/08, 6/12/08, 6/14/08, 6/16/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08
  • In2DeepIn2Deep Posts: 496
    like we would expect something good from ticketmaster...really.
  • CobCob Posts: 857
    Curly Joe wrote:

Sincerely,

I will let you in on a little dirty secret that has been going on since the early 80's, Ticketmaster ALWAYS releases tix on the day of the show, they ALWAYS do this. When I was growing up and lived in Houston, about 50% of the time we would buy our tix on the day of the concert between 3 and 5 pm.

My daughter wanted to go see Hanna Montana in San Antonio in November, I go to the Ticketmaster website, sold out. People were selling these tickets for $200 to $600, but I knew better than to pay these crazy prices, so I waited. The day of the show at 4 pm I go on the Ticketmaster website and guess what, there were tickets available for face value $55.00.

I don't know why they do this but they do. I'm a big RUSH fan and wanted to see them this past summer. I kept going to the Ticketmaster website to try to get good seats up front, but all they had were seats in the back of the floor. I kept checking and checking as sometimes they also release tix a few days before the concerts, 5 days before the show boom there are tix up front where I wanted to sit.

The other thing you can do to save the service fee is to go the box office of the event the day of the show if you have time. Show up at about 4 pm and just keep checking. You will usually get good seats and not have to pay the service charge or the fee to pick up at will call. Good luck to you, I'm sure you'll get in.
    [img][/img]9/5/92, 11/20/93, 3/14,15/94, 9/16/95, 10/14,15/2000
    4/5,6/9/2003, 9/1/05, 12/7/2005, 7/15,16,18/2006, 8/5/2007
    6/24,25/08,6/27/08,6/28/08,6/30/08
    9/21,22/2009, 10/4/2009
    5/6,7,9/2010, 9/3/2011 9/4/2011, 11/15/2013,
    11/16/2013, 12/8/2013, 10/5/2014, 10/12/2014,
    4/23, 5/10, 5/12, 8/20, 8/22 2016,
    8/8, 8/10, 8/18, 8/20 2018, 5/12, 5/13, 9/20 2022

• evenflowmanevenflowman Posts: 1,347
    I knwo what u mean,went to get petty tickets adn there wa a 5 dollar convience charge and a 10 dollar facility charge that is almost more then teh tickets
  • I knwo what u mean,went to get petty tickets adn there wa a 5 dollar convience charge and a 10 dollar facility charge that is almost more then teh tickets

Allmans tickets were $59 plus, I think, a $12 service charge. I'm sure I'll get tickets somehow - I always do - but it just sucks. Plus, I know the Allman Brothers usually put on a hell of a show, with surprise guests and encores, so I don't feel that bad paying extra. Maybe to get back at them (TM, not the Allmans), I'll break the rules and smoke a ton of weed at the show. Yeah... that'll show 'em.

Yours truly,
    A suddenly optimistic Curly Joe