Butthole Surfers

JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
edited July 2008 in Other Music
I picked up Independent Worm Saloon used for like 5 bucks. I love the first four or five tracks, but then things started becoming a little redundant.

I only have Electriclarryland otherwise, and love that album.
Anybody else dig this band?
seen any DVDs?
Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    They got some quality stuff, dont love them though
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • TrixieCatTrixieCat Posts: 5,756
    I loved them in college. I saw them a few times. They are insane live. Were, I guess now. I can't even tell you. Yay, Surfers!
    Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
    And I don't feel right when you're gone away
  • Penny453Penny453 Posts: 200
    i love this band. I was this close to getting electric larryland on vinyl and was outbid. bleh.
    "And even when I'm right with you I'm so far away"
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Graveyard is probably the freakiest song I've ever heard. I personally think Independant worm saloon is their best album but each to his own. locust abortion technician is a must - so weird.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • TrixieCatTrixieCat Posts: 5,756
    Didn't want to have to start a new thread and waste space. :p
    A friend just sent this video to me.
    The comment that someone posted about not being able to describe a live Butthole's show is so dead on...It was an experience I have never seen or heard duplicated....a veritable feast for the senses...no drugs needed, but they certainly enhanced the experience.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vP6nSYdGtRo
    Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
    And I don't feel right when you're gone away
  • jamie ukjamie uk Posts: 3,812
    TrixieCat wrote:
    Didn't want to have to start a new thread and waste space. :p
    A friend just sent this video to me.
    The comment that someone posted about not being able to describe a live Butthole's show is so dead on...It was an experience I have never seen or heard duplicated....a veritable feast for the senses...no drugs needed, but they certainly enhanced the experience.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vP6nSYdGtRo

erm........I guess you had to be there eh?
    Does nothing for my senses,.... apart from offend them. :(
    Jeez, somebody reach the off button for me :p
    I came, I saw, I concurred.....
  • transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    I think Locust Abortion Technician ranks in the top 5 worst CD's I have ever heard. Saw this thread earlier and popped in on just to make sure. Yup, it doesn't even qualify as music.

That said, it is a must hear though :D and I most certainly wished I got to see them live back in the day
  • red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    "Electric learyland" is a great album, pretty solid all the way through. I have heard a few more albums on rhapsody (Great service thing for music fans to have access to albums).

Some other good songs that stick out: are
    The shame of life
    Creep in the cellar
    sea ferring
    Bong song
    wooden song
    Those are really the only other ones I have sat down and listened to. Like someone said, they have some decent catchy songs. Some friends of mine saw one of their last Dallas shows ever 2002 maybe? I think the Burden Brothers may have opened the show. Anyway, they said the Surfers were a great show but absolutely intense and one of the overall craziest stage shows ever (In a good way).
    Another friend of mine saw them open for pj in Denton and said Gibby set his hand on fire while attempting to set the drums ablaze.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    not sure about the music but the name just makes me smile. :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • I loved Electriclarryland. Although I do believe that cough syrup is my fav song ever :D
    "I feel the same way about disco as I do about herpes." - Dr. Hunter S. Thompson, 1977
  • Strangest TribeStrangest Tribe Posts: 2,502
    The first 5 BS albums are a must have
    the Minions
  • mbangel10mbangel10 Posts: 548
    Locust Abortion Technician is my absolute favorite of theirs. I played the hell out of it when it first came out and I still listen to it off and on even now.

"If you see your mother this weekend be sure and tell her..... SATAN!!!!!"

Human Cannonball is one of my favorite Butthole Surfers songs, ever.
    Pitt 98, Pitt 00, Cleveland 03, Pitt 03, State College 03, Toledo 04, Toronto 05, Pitt 05, Cleveland 06, Pitt 06 & Chicago 07, Chicago 1&2 09, Philly 2,3,4 09, Cleveland 10, Columbus 10, Alpine Valley 1& 2 11
  • They just did a few shows on the East Coast at the end of June and now I think they're in Europe.