A ryan adams mix i made for a friend

jasonwjasonw Posts: 390
edited July 2008 in Other Music
I left out some of the more obscure stuff that i like since this was for someone that has never really heard him before....tell me what you think (song and album title)

1. Cold Roses - Cold Roses
2. Let it ride - Cold Roses
3. Dance all night - Cold Roses
4. Easy Plateau - Cold Roses
5. Magnolia Mountain - Cold Roses
6. So alive - Rock N Roll
7. Hard way to fall - Jacksonville city nights
8. Dear John - Jacksonville city nights
9. The hardest part - Jacksonville city nights
10. Peaceful valley - Jacksonville city nights
11. September - Jacksonville city nights
12. Goodnight rose - Easy Tiger
13. Two - Easy Tiger
14. Everybody knows - Easy Tiger
15. Oh my god, whatever, etc - Easy Tiger
16. The sun also sets - Easy Tiger
17. When the stars go blue - Gold
18. New York, New York - Gold
19. Shakedown on 9th street - Heartbreaker
20. Come pick me up - Heartbreaker
21. Oh my sweet carolina - Heartbreaker
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    WAYYYYYYYYY too light on Heartbreaker and Gold for my liking.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • where's Wonderwall?
    You can't spell "dumb" without DMB
  • soclosesoclose Posts: 628
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    WAYYYYYYYYY too light on Heartbreaker and Gold for my liking.

I agree. And you could use some Whiskeytown, not to mention something from Love is Hell, and 29 (though neither of those two are my favorites).

I would expect more variety in a mix meant as an introduction.
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I've tried making these mixes for friends before with Ryan's stuff. It is hard when trying to fit it all on a cd and not get too overwhelming for the person.

you have some great songs on there i think it looks good.

My favorite song is nobody girl though and i would have liked to see that on your list but overall i think you did a good job :)
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    where's Wonderwall?

this was my first thought too. :)

also where's sylvia plath, i see monsters, this is it(cards version), nobody girl, damn sam(i love a woman that rains), my winding wheel, anybody wanna take me home, AMY. :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Cropduster84Cropduster84 Posts: 1,283
    WAAAAAAYYYY too much Easy Tiger.....

And where is 'How Do You Keep Love Alive' his most beautiful and heartbreaking song?
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • jasonwjasonw Posts: 390
    I would never put Wonderwall on a ryan adams mix and to be honest i think Cold Roses, Jacksonville City Nights and Easy Tiger are FAR superior to Gold and Heartbreaker
    jasonw wrote:
    I would never put Wonderwall on a ryan adams mix and to be honest i think Cold Roses, Jacksonville City Nights and Easy Tiger are FAR superior to Gold and Heartbreaker

why not? he does it so beautifully.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    why not? he does it so beautifully.

so much more great original stuff
    WAAAAAAYYYY too much Easy Tiger.....

And where is 'How Do You Keep Love Alive' his most beautiful and heartbreaking song?

That is definately one of my favorites, but like i said i was making this for someone who was new to ryan adams and trying to keep things a little more commercial friendly......that's the only reason "come pick me up" made it on there
    jasonw wrote:
    so much more great original stuff

:)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    soclose wrote:
    I agree. And you could use some Whiskeytown, not to mention something from Love is Hell, and 29 (though neither of those two are my favorites).

I would expect more variety in a mix meant as an introduction.

Yeah my love for CR, ET AND JCN kinda took over, but really to add stuff from 3 or 4 more albums would have been almost impossible for a one cd mix
    jasonw wrote:
    Yeah my love for CR, ET AND JCN kinda took over, but really to add stuff from 3 or 4 more albums would have been almost impossible for a one cd mix

and this is why you just burn ALL your RA albums and let your friends sort through them in their own time. :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Irish AlIrish Al Posts: 6,236
    Ryan is the most frustrating songwriter I love (if that makes sense)! He has done some amazing, incredibly beautiful songs and then some below par, poor poor tunes. I've been really disappointed with the albums since Rock n Roll (even that wasn't up to his standard) and to me the songs on easy tiger sound like an impersonator trying to write and match Ryan Adams best tunes but just not getting there.

So for me, take out much of the newer stuff and lash in more older stuff (there are some great suggestions here already)

:D
    I need a coffee!
    Irish Al wrote:
    Ryan is the most frustrating songwriter I love (if that makes sense)! He has done some amazing, incredibly beautiful songs and then some below par, poor poor tunes. I've been really disappointed with the albums since Rock n Roll (even that wasn't up to his standard) and to me the songs on easy tiger sound like an impersonator trying to write and match Ryan Adams best tunes but just not getting there.

So for me, take out much of the newer stuff and lash in more older stuff (there are some great suggestions here already)

:D

I think Cold Roses is the best album of this decade by anyone
  • Irish AlIrish Al Posts: 6,236
    jasonw wrote:
    I think Cold Roses is the best album of this decade by anyone

Meant to say I love it too....he's been poor since then ;)
    I need a coffee!
  • gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    Nothing from Demolition?? That's criminal! :D
    gabers wrote:
    Nothing from Demolition?? That's criminal! :D

hmm... not under any law i live by. :p:D
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    I was gonna post the two disc Lanegan and related best of that I made last week but having missed out, I'll Take Care of You, Scraps at Midnight and everything he's done with the Twilight Singers, I dont think I'll bother.:D
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • libragirllibragirl Posts: 4,632
    It's a pretty good introduction..but I would've included nobody girl :D
    These cuts are leaving creases. Trace the scars to fit the pieces, to tell the story, you don't need to say a word.
  • soclosesoclose Posts: 628
    jasonw wrote:

It wouldn't be impossible if you cut out the tracks from Easy Tiger.;)

Easy Tiger has to be one of the biggest disappointments of my musical life. I find it flat out painful to listen to. The tone of his voice, the pathetic lyrics . . . it's simply disgusting (in my opinion, of course).
    soclose wrote:

Easy Tiger has to be one of the biggest disappointments of my musical life. I find it flat out painful to listen to. The tone of his voice, the pathetic lyrics . . . it's simply disgusting (in my opinion, of course).

Again, it's all opinion, but i think it is a pretty good album and prefer to some other albums that people on here seem to love....... I think "oh my god, whatever, etc" and "everybody knows" are great songs and there are a lot of other good ones
  • Cropduster84Cropduster84 Posts: 1,283
    soclose wrote:

Same here....I just don't like that album, I find it very forgetable and unmoving.....sort of the opposite to Love Is Hell.....
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • jasonw wrote:
    I left out some of the more obscure stuff that i like since this was for someone that has never really heard him before....tell me what you think (song and album title)

1. Cold Roses - Cold Roses
    2. Let it ride - Cold Roses
    3. Dance all night - Cold Roses
    4. Easy Plateau - Cold Roses
    5. Magnolia Mountain - Cold Roses
    6. So alive - Rock N Roll
    7. Hard way to fall - Jacksonville city nights
    8. Dear John - Jacksonville city nights
    9. The hardest part - Jacksonville city nights
    10. Peaceful valley - Jacksonville city nights
    11. September - Jacksonville city nights
    12. Goodnight rose - Easy Tiger
    13. Two - Easy Tiger
    14. Everybody knows - Easy Tiger
    15. Oh my god, whatever, etc - Easy Tiger
    16. The sun also sets - Easy Tiger
    17. When the stars go blue - Gold
    18. New York, New York - Gold
    19. Shakedown on 9th street - Heartbreaker
    20. Come pick me up - Heartbreaker
    21. Oh my sweet carolina - Heartbreaker

Oh man waaayyy too much Easy Tiger. And nothing from Love Is Hell?!!!! I'd put To Be Young (Is To Be Sad, Is To Be high) as the opener on the mix cd, can't get better than that.
    Oh man waaayyy too much Easy Tiger. And nothing from Love Is Hell?!!!! I'd put To Be Young (Is To Be Sad, Is To Be high) as the opener on the mix cd, can't get better than that.

not really a big of fan of that song.......i don't think it really compares to his other work
  • i_am_minei_am_mine Posts: 53
    i really like ryan adams stuff.. i haven't heard a whole lot but i really enjoyed gold.. gonna make you love me is a really cool song and i get it stuck in my head a lot..it's pretty catchy. rescue blues is a really nice song too i think... they used it in a scrubs episode from season 3.. i always think of that now when i hear it..which is fine by me!