Tom Morello's Solo Stuff...

BrinkofForeverBrinkofForever Posts: 373
edited August 2007 in Other Music
So I picked up his new solo album and it got me thinking...

If Leonard Cohen, Bruce Springsteen and Woody Guthrie had a threesome, The Nightwatchman would surely be their love child.

I had to take the CD out and make sure it was the right one. For some reason I didn't think he sang so... baritone.

Make your life a mission - not an intermission. - Arnold Gasglow
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    I hate his voice, but the lyrics and music are pretty good. I just can't stand listening to it. He sounds like he's never sung in his life and just started a couple weeks ago.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • Saw the Nightwatchman open for Ben Harper, he is a great performer. Had great energy for what he played and really said cool shit in between songs. And i can say now that i Have been front row and saw Tom Morrello play Guerilla Radio :)
  • I love Morello, but I don't see much potential in that sort of solo career. I don't like Nightwatchman at all, which was surprising because he is one of my favorite guitarists.
  • rhcpjam1029rhcpjam1029 Posts: 1,968
    Saw the Nightwatchman open for Ben Harper, he is a great performer. Had great energy for what he played and really said cool shit in between songs. And i can say now that i Have been front row and saw Tom Morrello play Guerilla Radio :)

I'll second that I was front row to see Tom Morello play Guerilla Radio as well. ;)

My Nightwatchman videos:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=YCqfavZ58yo -> Guerilla Radio Part One w/ Bombtrack intro.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=YdNPvdF6qHs&mode=user&search= -> Guerilla Radio Part Two.

I've got a bunch other videos from that show as well. Check out the "RATM Story" I posted as well. It's really funny.
    Beavis: All my friends are brown and red? What does that mean?
    Butthead: It means that his friends are like turds and that they like suck.
    Beavis: Heh heh. Oh yeah. Yeah! Get those spoons out of my face before I shove them up your butt!
    Butthead: Huh huh.
  • NevermindNevermind Posts: 1,006
    I love his solo stuff. I think its pretty cool and patriotic.
  • dharma69dharma69 Posts: 1,275
    Brink wrote:
    So I picked up his new solo album and it got me thinking...

If Leonard Cohen, Bruce Springsteen and Woody Guthrie had a threesome, The Nightwatchman would surely be their love child.

I had to take the CD out and make sure it was the right one. For some reason I didn't think he sang so... baritone.
    "Chocolate baritone".

And he's not so much a singer as he is a harmonic speaker. Puts on a hell of a show, though.
    "I'm here to see Pearl Jam."- Bono

...signed...the token black Pearl Jam fan.

FaceSpace
  • I love Morrello's playing, but I wasn't even aware he had a solo album out.
  • dharma69 wrote:
    And he's not so much a singer as he is a harmonic speaker. Puts on a hell of a show, though.

Amen to that. The speaker part. I actually thought...

"What the? ...there's a white dude talking to me about White House policy over some guitar tracks...."

Took me a while to come to grips with the overall crapness of the songs, and to believe that it was actually him singing. I dig the acoustic vibe (obviously the guitar sounds nice and clean) and I even really like his political acumen...but his voice sucks ass.

Although, it is supposed to be folk music....I guess it's as advertised.
    Adelaide, 21st & 22nd November 2006