Daltrey & Townsend feuding...

OttOtt Posts: 403
edited July 2006 in Other Music
Came across this. News to me. Get over yourself, Roger.

http://music.yahoo.com/read/news/34676547

Townshend & Daltrey In Internet Feud

07/27/2006 4:00 PM, Yahoo! Music
Dotmusic

Pete Townshend and Roger Daltrey are at war over the band's decision to broadcast Who concerts online, it has emerged.

The two surviving members of the legendary rock 'n' roll group recently played a string of live shows, allowing fans to watch the gigs for $10, with proceeds going to charity.

However, Townshend has now claimed the idea has upset Daltrey, who is apparently unimpressed by the Internet and what it offers the group.

In a posting on petetownshend.co.uk, the guitarist comments: "Roger seems to think when I provide bandwidth for The Who website, and for live streaming, he is being exploited in some way and wants a piece of the future 'profit.' Don't think there is much chance of profit when it is all aimed at charity."

He continues: "Daltrey seems to be unconvinced that the web has any real contribution to make to our career, and I am not going to spend any more time or money mortgaging my half of the stage."

The posting goes on to illustrate just what the pair's relationship is now like, some 40 years after the Who first began playing together.

"Roger is my partner in The Who. He is not my partner in anything else", comments Townshend. "We love each other but we are not regular social buddies like Bono and The Edge, we do not discuss or share ideas, and we have no unified joint vision of strategy for The Who or for creative projects in general."
'Give me some music; music, moody food/ of us that trade in love'
-Shakespeare
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• suffragettesuffragette Posts: 253
    They've been feuding for over 40 years. Townshend himself said they can't have a conversation without arguing. That's what the Who is all about. They've always been famous for their fighting. Now that there are only two, it's bound to be fiery.
  • stonesgstringstonesgstring Posts: 4,613
    This is nothing new. People are making a juge fuss over this but this is what makes the two of them so good together musically.
    20/04/06 ~ 23/08/06 ~ 09/09/06

14/09/06, 16/09/06, 17/09/06, 19/09/06, 20/09/06 ~ The Stone lookalike leg of the 2006 tour

18/06/07 - Amazing, just amazing

04/07/06 ~Proud to be part of the AIC Astoria Crew~

Rockin' out to Creadles
  • mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,868
    number one sign you're in a legendary rock band:

When everyone knows you're only in it for the money....but no one cares
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    they've left blood on the floor before.........
  • suffragettesuffragette Posts: 253
    I think they used to fight during shows.
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,678
    Daltrey and Townshend's "disagreements" are legendary. Makes the Gallagher brothers look like combatants in a school debate over cafeteria food quality.
    Of course whenever these things got physical, Pete usually got hospitalized.
    I remember reading a long time a go of one of their spats during a rehearsal... (paraphrasing from memory) they got into an argument and John and Keith were holding Pete back trying to calm him down, Pete said something like "Let me go, I'll have at him", so they released him, and the story goes that Roger threw one punch, connected with Pete's chin, "Lifted his feet up off the floor" and knocked him out cold. Pete was sent to hospital, end of argument.
    Good times, good times.
    Their tempestuous relationship is one of the many sparks that fueled (and still does) one of rock's greatest live bands.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • LedZepFanLedZepFan Posts: 1,009
    number one sign you're in a legendary rock band:

When everyone knows you're only in it for the money....but no one cares

hahahaah that was great
    I've faced it, a life wasted, and I'm never going back again.

Some die just to live.
    I think they used to fight during shows.

They were having digs in Leeds, nothing too bad but still, it was there.

14/09/06, 16/09/06, 17/09/06, 19/09/06, 20/09/06 ~ The Stone lookalike leg of the 2006 tour

Rockin' out to Creadles
  • restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,951
    these guys can fight all they want.

i looked up tickets to the who in vancouver and there are plenty of good seats available. ya wanna know why?

THEY ARE 202 FUCKING $$$$ EACH!!!

pathetic. just cuz you are old and want to tour again you fucking charge that? gimme a break. its not like its a huge reuniuon tour either. theyve been around. man im pissed. wont be going. but will be going to the stones a month later.
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
    The Stones are charging a fortune too! I'd rather spend my money on the Who than the Stones personally.

Rockin' out to Creadles
  • PaulJamPaulJam Posts: 163
    They still rock it live. I saw them a month ago in Hyde Park and Townshend shredded his guitars to pieces. About 80,000 people screaming 'OUT HERE IN THE FIELD!!'....and 'WE'RE ALL WASTED' is as good as it gets.
  • This is nothing new. People are making a juge fuss over this but this is what makes the two of them so good together musically.
    If they're competing with eachother, it's only going to make the music better.

Let 'em fight, they still seem to have their heads on strait about the band.

The world is better with the Who in it and they know it.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    these guys can fight all they want.

i looked up tickets to the who in vancouver and there are plenty of good seats available. ya wanna know why?

THEY ARE 202 FUCKING $$$$ EACH!!!

pathetic. just cuz you are old and want to tour again you fucking charge that? gimme a break. its not like its a huge reuniuon tour either. theyve been around. man im pissed. wont be going. but will be going to the stones a month later.

Hey man, Depends™ and hip replacements aint cheap :p
  • libragirllibragirl Posts: 4,632
    whatever...the world won't end. It sounds like Roger is just a greedy asshole. I guess he doesnt have enough money. Not everyone could afford the price of their tickets.
    These cuts are leaving creases. Trace the scars to fit the pieces, to tell the story, you don't need to say a word.
  • Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    Pete Townshend & Roger Daltrey may look like the best of pals as they grind out the hits on their latest Who tour--but guess again. Townshend is furious that Daltrye doesnt want any of their shows available as free Webcasts,and he's ripping his bandmate on his blog site. " Roger is my partner in The Who. He is not my partner in anything else," Townshend fumed ." I am a performer and I like to have as big an audience as possible,......For now, we have a famous Who stalemate."
    He then urged the bands legions of fans to fire off e-mails if they " believe Roger is wrong . " in a bid to pressure him to change his mind .The other day, Townshend , who penned such classics as " Pinball Wizard " and " I Cant Explain " tried to downplay their battle. "Its Lebanon & Israel who are at war- not Roger & Pete," he wrote. " Roger and I are in full accord about our lack of accord. Always have been . "
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life