Garth Brooks Anybody?

rizzdaddyrizzdaddy Posts: 262
edited October 2006 in Other Music
Anyone A Fan Of Garth? I've Been A Fan For Years and Always Thought His Songs Are Really Well Written. He's Also One Of The Nicest Guys Off The Stage. (He Once Signed Autographs And Talked To Fans For 23 Hrs. Straight)
He Retired When His Career Was Far From Over To Spend Time With His Family.

He Also Has A 5 DVD Box Set "The Entertainer" Coming Out And It's Only $19.95!!!
08-19-08 (Riverside Theater) Vedder(Solo) Milwaukee, WI
07-02-11 (Orpheum Theatre) Vedder(Solo) Minneapolis, MN
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Yeah... Garth is one of the few truly "country" artists that I can say I like... I own the Double Live album, and really, that's all I feel I need...

It's got Calling Baton Rouge, The Dance, The Thunder Rolls, Standing Outside the Fire, That Summer, Rodeo, etc. etc. etc. (and that one about The Beaches of Cheyenne)...

I might have to pop that out again...
  • mwachsmanmwachsman Posts: 474
    NakedClown wrote:
    Yeah... Garth is one of the few truly "country" artists that I can say I like... I own the Double Live album, and really, that's all I feel I need...

It's got Calling Baton Rouge, The Dance, The Thunder Rolls, Standing Outside the Fire, That Summer, Rodeo, etc. etc. etc. (and that one about The Beaches of Cheyenne)...

Yea, I only own the Double Live too, but it's amazing.
    "So, you must really love Led Zeppelin. That’s the oldest shirt I’ve ever seen on someone who wasn’t a bum."
    "Hey, if God didn’t want me to wear it so much, he wouldn’t have made them rock so hard."
  • NakedClown wrote:
    Yeah... Garth is one of the few truly "country" artists that I can say I like... I own the Double Live album, and really, that's all I feel I need...

Hells yes! I have this too. When I was younger i was a MASSIVE Garth fan. I still love the guy.
  • dharma69dharma69 Posts: 1,275
    Way up there on the talent scale and does seem to be a very genuine man; faulty, but genuine.

I may be one the very few who actually enjoyed his "Chris Gaines" venture. I really like that CD!
    "I'm here to see Pearl Jam."- Bono

...signed...the token black Pearl Jam fan.

FaceSpace
  • i really like garth's music and i do like a lot of country (well just like rock and hip-hop). i know he was very popular, but i was surprised to see that only four artists have sold over 100 million records in the US. check out this list: The Beatles (duh), Elvis (duh), Led Zeppelin (duh), and Garth Brooks (whoa). the next artist in line wasn't even close. b.t.w. - I think i remember PJ was relatively high, top twenty i think.
    bombs, dropping down, please forgive our hometown
  • i liked a few of his songs back in the day. cant remember a single one of them now, but i dont hate the guy.
    Cheat the odds that made you
    Brave to try to gamble at times
  • evenflow82evenflow82 Posts: 3,891
    Are there any Chris Gaines fans here?

Joking. I couldn't resist. :)
    I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

The truth has a well known liberal bias.
    -Stephen Colbert
  • moeaholicmoeaholic Posts: 535
    yeah, i dig garth. the wife and i saw him at the carrier dome about 8 or 9 years ago. put on a pretty decent show.

i dig the hidden sexual innuendos in his songs. like the lines from 'two of a kind working on a full house'

"She's my honeycomb and I'm her sugar cane
    We really fit together if you know what I'm talkin' about"

yeah garth, i get ya.

and from 'papa loved mama'

"The part she couldn't handle was bein' alone,
    I guess she needed more to hold than just a telephone"
    "PC Load Letter?! What the fuck does that mean?"
    ~Michael Bolton
  • Nah, not really a fan of country at all. I know it is getting better than it used to be and people are loving it, but I can't get into it.
    Oh he fills it up with the love of a girl...
  • rizzdaddyrizzdaddy Posts: 262
    Nah, not really a fan of country at all. I know it is getting better than it used to be and people are loving it, but I can't get into it.

I Actually Think Country Right Now Is The Worst It's Ever Been.
    08-19-08 (Riverside Theater) Vedder(Solo) Milwaukee, WI
    07-02-11 (Orpheum Theatre) Vedder(Solo) Minneapolis, MN
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    rizzdaddy wrote:
    Anyone A Fan Of Garth? I've Been A Fan For Years and Always Thought His Songs Are Really Well Written. He's Also One Of The Nicest Guys Off The Stage. (He Once Signed Autographs And Talked To Fans For 23 Hrs. Straight)

He Also Has A 5 DVD Box Set "The Entertainer" Coming Out And It's Only $19.95!!!

I'm A Big Fan Of You Using Capital Letters At The Start Of Every Word... Must Take You Fucking Ages!!!
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • rizzdaddy wrote:
    I Actually Think Country Right Now Is The Worst It's Ever Been.

I would agree. I think what is classified as "alt. country" sounds more like country than what Trashville is pushin out.
    I share a cigarette with negativity.
  • rizzdaddy wrote:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOPPPPPPPPPEEEEEEEEEE!!!!
    There's no I in team, but there's me.

"0035 EVENFLOW PSYCHOS

"I'm George Bush and my son's an asshole" 08/03/2000

Don't stop wen you're tired, stop when you're done
  • rhinomagicrhinomagic Posts: 2,549
    Recently, I scanned through the country music channel and happened to see part of Garth's concert in Ireland they were broadcasting that night (must have something to do with the DVD release mentioned earlier).

I was never really a fan of Garth Brooks, but I had forgotten what a showman he really was during his career. I am familiar with a lot of his music, and--if the television program is to be believed--he was a one-of-a-kind performer that crossed lots of musical barriers.

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
  • Much like mainstream Rock is nowdays, Country was at best decent until probably the late '90s. When dicks like Keith Urban, Billy Gilman (who's getting punched in the face if I meet him), and whoever the fuck else started coming out of the woodwork. It all became too fucking top 40ish, and mainstream pop influenced for my liking. Fuck, I'd even take NICKELBACK of all bands over today's Country, and I fucking hate Nickelback.

But anyway, as for the times before the genre went to shit, I did like it. At least somewhat. And though I'm more into Grunge and Classic Rock nowdays than anything, I do like to go back sometimes and listen to some of it a little bit. And Garth Brooks is one of my favorite's from back when it was good. I wouldn't buy any CDs from him, but he's still good. "The Thunder Rolls (uncut)," "Friends In Low Places (uncut)," and "The Beaches Of Cheyenne" are my favorites from him.

The whole Chris Gaines thing is pretty decent, as well. From what I've heard, anyway..
    Take a ride on the relationship:

http://www.myspace.com/unlockandunload
  • zircona1zircona1 Posts: 293
    I like a couple of Garth songs, but I'm not much into country. I can understand why so many people like him, he seems like a nice guy.

I have heard the story about him signing autographs for like 8 hours or more in a mall for everyone who showed up, that is very cool.

I also admire him for keeping his ticket prices low and playing cities multiple nights, so that everyone who is interested gets a better chance to see him in concert. I remember a couple of friends of mine who wanted to see Garth in St. Louis several years ago, they had to get a wristband several days before the tickets went on sale.
    "As long as the music's loud enough, we won't hear the world falling apart."—Jubilee

"I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions." - George Carlin
  • I grew up listening to Garth Brooks, my mum's favourite. Got the CDs (she's got them all AFAIK) out right now and seeing what ones are worth ripping to iTunes. :D