Who is Gilby Clarke?

rizzdaddyrizzdaddy Posts: 262
edited August 2006 in Other Music
I've been watching Supernova. Doubting the band is going to be good at all. But I was wondering who is Gilby Clarke? I don't remember him being in GN'R was he after the breakup or what?
08-19-08 (Riverside Theater) Vedder(Solo) Milwaukee, WI
07-02-11 (Orpheum Theatre) Vedder(Solo) Minneapolis, MN
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• GummiBeerGummiBeer Posts: 189
    he joined them on the illusion albums, played keyboards and rhytem guitar
    Calgary 04-09-2005
    Edmonton 05-09-2005

"A Thousand Ports of light For the Newfoundland...Theres a Kinder gentler American Band"...EV 25/09/05
  • rizzdaddy wrote:
    I've been watching Supernova. Doubting the band is going to be good at all. But I was wondering who is Gilby Clarke? I don't remember him being in GN'R was he after the breakup or what?
    He replaced Izzy right after the Use Your Illusions were released. The only recording he did with the band was The Spaghetti Incident.
    Statistically speaking, you're more likely to be pitied by Mr. T than you are to have feet.
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 Posts: 26,148
    he's a nobody.
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • tonadaxtonadax Posts: 594
    he doesn´t deserve be in the same band with this great musicians as Tommy and especially Jason newsted... but the worst situation is when brook or dave navarro talk to gilby with all the respect possible, he´s not a rock hero, fuck you gilby get away with you stupid mustache...
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    Wikipedia is your friend.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,680
    GummiBeer wrote:
    he joined them on the illusion albums, played keyboards and rhytem guitar
    Dizzy Reed was the keyboard player.
    Gilby only played guitar to my recollection. He also played with Slash's Snakepit for a while and as stated has done some solo records, 1994's "Pawn Shop Guitars" probably the most successful. The song "Tijuana Jail" got a reasonable amount of airplay when the record was released.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • surferdudesurferdude Posts: 2,057
    tonadax wrote:
    he doesn´t deserve be in the same band with this great musicians as Tommy and especially Jason newsted... but the worst situation is when brook or dave navarro talk to gilby with all the respect possible, he´s not a rock hero, fuck you gilby get away with you stupid mustache...
    Well Gilby is the only guy in the band who's shown that he can write songs and sing.
    “One good thing about music,
    when it hits you, you feel to pain.
    So brutalize me with music.”
    ~ Bob Marley
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    tonadax wrote:
    How much street cred does Navarro really have left?????
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • DCGARDENDCGARDEN Posts: 515
    Gilby Clarke was hired to replace Izzy Stradlin for the tours. He did not record anything on the Illusion albums, as Slash played both lead & rhythm on a number of those tunes. Gilby played with GNR long enough to get his name out there, but he eventually Axl lost patience with him. Axl & Slash both said they liked playing with him, but were never really sold on him contributing anything to an actual record. I saw an interview with the guy, and he was promoting Supernova and talking about how Metallica fans would tune in to see Jason, Crue fans would tune in to see Tommy, and GNR fans would tune in because of him, and I was like ....ummmmmmmmmmmmmm.....NO
    I'll keep taking punches
    Untill their will grows tired
  • DCGARDEN wrote:
    Gilby Clarke was hired to replace Izzy Stradlin for the tours. He did not record anything on the Illusion albums, as Slash played both lead & rhythm on a number of those tunes. Gilby played with GNR long enough to get his name out there, but he eventually Axl lost patience with him. Axl & Slash both said they liked playing with him, but were never really sold on him contributing anything to an actual record. I saw an interview with the guy, and he was promoting Supernova and talking about how Metallica fans would tune in to see Jason, Crue fans would tune in to see Tommy, and GNR fans would tune in because of him, and I was like ....ummmmmmmmmmmmmm.....NO

Izzy recorded the Use Your Illusion records with GnR. He even wrote a couple of the tunes. He left the band shortly after the Use Your Illusion World Tour started, and was replaced by Gilby.
    "let's hug it out, bitch."

"and onward goes this thing of ours."
  • adam42381adam42381 Posts: 2,505
    Gilby is a self-absorbed douchebag with no concept of the reality that he isn't popular or famous by any means.
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    Dizzy Reed was the keyboard player.
    Gilby only played guitar to my recollection. He also played with Slash's Snakepit for a while and as stated has done some solo records, 1994's "Pawn Shop Guitars" probably the most successful. The song "Tijuana Jail" got a reasonable amount of airplay when the record was released.

I have the video for "Tijuana Jail" on an old VHS tape somewhere. Decent song, I taped it mainly because it featured Slash on the guitar solo.
    Izzy recorded the Use Your Illusion records with GnR. He even wrote a couple of the tunes. He left the band shortly after the Use Your Illusion World Tour started, and was replaced by Gilby.
    The tour actually started a couple of months before the records were even released.....if I remember correctly the release date kept getting pushed back during the summer and finally saw the light of day in the fall of that year. I believe that Izzy made most of the dates at least upto the release of the albums.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • surferdudesurferdude Posts: 2,057
    tybird wrote:
    The tour actually started a couple of months before the records were even released.....if I remember correctly the release date kept getting pushed back during the summer and finally saw the light of day in the fall of that year. I believe that Izzy made most of the dates at least upto the release of the albums.
    Izzy quite in Europe I believe. The insanity of the tour was getting to him. From the drugs around him, to the uncertain stage times. You have to remeber that Izzy was under very strict probation requiring lots of testing to travel internationally. This after his drug induced melt-down on a flight when he was a full blown junkie.

Gilby was a great fit for Gunners though. Played the same style as Izzy, had a lot of the same influences and didn't have a huge ego. Gilby and Slash got along great. Gilby did a solo tour with Slash, which from all accounts was great onstage and involved just a staggering amount of alcohol consumption. Gilby was kicked out of Gunners by Axl as he was taking Slash's side on a lot of issues.
    “One good thing about music,
    when it hits you, you feel to pain.
    So brutalize me with music.”
    ~ Bob Marley
  • tybird wrote:

i do remember they did three surpise, warm-up gigs--one in l.a., one in new york, and the other might have have been san fran. i went to the nyc show at the ritz. still one of the best shows i've ever seen. small venue...band on fire. i know the records weren't out at the time of these shows, but i really don't recall how far into the tour they were released.
    "let's hug it out, bitch."

"and onward goes this thing of ours."
    i do remember they did three surpise, warm-up gigs--one in l.a., one in new york, and the other might have have been san fran. i went to the nyc show at the ritz. still one of the best shows i've ever seen. small venue...band on fire. i know the records weren't out at the time of these shows, but i really don't recall how far into the tour they were released.
    I actually got them here in Birmingham, Alabama in either June or July 1991 on that tour...........at a horse racing track (now Greyhound racing). I think that the infamous St. Louis meltdown also occured before the albums hit the street.