My story about tonight's Chris Cornell show in Toronto

given2fallgiven2fall Posts: 98
edited July 2007 in Other Music
I never ended up finding someone to come with me to the Chris Cornell show, show I ended up going solo. I was trying from about 7:30 to 8:30 (I think) to sell my extra ticket (at or below face value) but no luck.
All I managed was a straight trade of one of my tix for one that I thought was a few rows closer. There were 3 people who had tix, but two were together while the other one was seperate. My ticket happened to be in the same row as their two, so they decided they'd rather sit together and give me the better ticket.
Then I was finally ready to give up on selling my other ticket, so I was just going to give it to someone, but I didn't want to actually announce that because I wanted it to go to a real fan instead of a scalper or something. Finally someone showed some interest in my ticket but he was kind of old and definately looked like he might be a scalper, so I asked him how big a fan he was. "what difference does that make?" he asks (probably thought I'd try to guage him). I explained. Then I asked him to name Chris' 3 previous bands. He got Audioslave and Soundgarden right away. I said any scalper could know those, but I decided to drop a few hints. Finally after a long while a head-scratching he said Temple of the Dog, so I handed him the ticket. He asked how much, I said don't worry about it, he insisted on giving me a 20, so I took it. Turns out he was visiting (from the UK I think) and he thought he'd just drop by and try to see if he could get in to the show. He also said he works for habitat for humanity. And he was super appreciative.
So although I still lost about $50 on that ticket, it couldn't have gone to a better person so I was happy.
Then I go inside, the usher directs me to my seat, and as I start walking out I think "wait, this can't be right". The tix I bought online were section J on the 2nd balcony, but it turns out the ticket I just traded mine for was section E, not on the balcony but ON THE FLOOR - that's 5th row! More than just a few rows up. I can't believe how I lucked out.
Then the show was friggin' amazing - best concert ever. PJ is the best band obviously, but this concert for me was even better overall than any PJ concert I've been to. The sound in Massey Hall is incredible (though there were a few issues a couple of times), my seat was great, the setlist kicked ass, and the performance was super tight but still distinctly live. My favorite songs of the night were Spoonman and Doesn't Remind Me, which aren't even my fav songs of the setlist but they just turned out really well.
Then when I was walking out I met another big PJ fan who's also going to Lollapalooza, so we said we'd meet up when we're down there.

I just might start going alone to concerts more often - it was amazing!

"It was Luke's fault" (Ed after stumbling on Soon Forget at Kitchener '05)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    thats cool! Yeah, I always meet interesting and cool people at shows. It's cool when I meet a pj fan cause they are so scattered around here and hard to find in Houston. That should change after the Dirty Frank show though. :D
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • mjbmjb Posts: 1,315
    Was that you in the green trojan 2005 Canadian tour shirt? My wife and I were in row E - she was wearing a blue PJ Evolution shirt. Great show!
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    Went with my two best friends...I was my birthday, as well as Chris' so that made it extra special...first time any of us had seen him live and it was awesome...Doesn't remind me was a highlight and Hungerstrike...my friend caught that Chris said "I miss Eddie everytime I sing this" and touched his chest...I liked Juliette and the licks, too...wasn't sure what to expect, but they were very entertaining to watch...saw alot of PJ shirts there....made me feel at home! :o)...Seeing him again tonight at the K-Rockathon at weedsport speedway in New York...general admission and deftones and social distortion also on the bill...very excited!!
  • mikesbrimikesbri Posts: 965
    Very good show and I was impressed he played for 2 straight hours with maybe a 2 minute break while the drummer did his amazing solo. Chris voice seems to get better with age. Hunger Strike was definetly a highlight for me as well as Jesus Christ Pose. Thumbs up, great show.
    Barrie 98, Toronto 00, Toronto 03, Buffalo 03, Toronto 05, Hamilton 05, Kitchener 05, Toronto 06 I II, Lolla 07, Vedder Toronto I II, Toronto 09, Philly Oct 30 & 31 2009, Buffalo 2010, Cleveland 2010, Toronto I II 2011, Hamilton 2011, Ottawa 2011, London 2013, Buffalo 2013, Pittsburgh 2013, FLL 2016, Miami 2016, Tor I & II 2016, Barcelona 2018, Toronto 2022, Ottawa 2022, Quebec City 2022, Hamilton 2022
  • GardenpartyGardenparty Posts: 1,910
    mjb wrote:
    she was wearing a blue PJ Evolution shirt.

= Best PJ shirt ever
    “I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”
  • tnt358tnt358 Posts: 72
    i also attended the show but i just didn't feel that passion from chris, to me it seemed like he was just going through the motions

say hello to heaven made my night
  • given2fallgiven2fall Posts: 98
    mjb wrote:
    Was that you in the green trojan 2005 Canadian tour shirt? My wife and I were in row E - she was wearing a blue PJ Evolution shirt. Great show!
    Yeah, that was me. I don't think I'm familiar with the blue evolution T. Were you the couple on my left? If so I hope I didn't crowd you guys too much - I couldn't help but go a little crazy there. What a show, and what a view we had - unfortunately I forgot my digital camera, so I had to use my phone and the pics didn't really turn out so hot.

"It was Luke's fault" (Ed after stumbling on Soon Forget at Kitchener '05)
  • uninnocentuninnocent Posts: 1,565
    that was an awesome show. not as intense as the one at the phoenix a short while ago, but still great. my only complaint is the upper gallery is pretty bad at massey hall, but it didn't detract from the show (since everyone in my section was standing).
  • DiRtyFranK38DiRtyFranK38 Posts: 3,131
    can one of you please show me a setlist of this show? thanks! i'm going to see him in boston tomorrow, but i just want to get an idea of what he's been playing at his most recent concerts.
    2006: Hartford
    2008: MSG 1, Hartford, Mansfield 2, Ed Solo NYC 1
    2009: London (O2), Philly 1, 2, 3, & 4
    2010: Hartford, Boston, MSG 1 & 2
    2011: Ed Solo Hartford
    2012: Philly (MIA Fest)
    2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford
  • PJamGrunge10PJamGrunge10 Posts: 596
    mikesbri wrote:
    Very good show and I was impressed he played for 2 straight hours with maybe a 2 minute break while the drummer did his amazing solo. Chris voice seems to get better with age. Hunger Strike was definetly a highlight for me as well as Jesus Christ Pose. Thumbs up, great show.

I youtube'd him singing Jesus Christ Pose live this year and it wasn't sounding too good... then again I've never heard a good live version of it :confused:
    Stone Gossard...riffmeister extraordinaire!

I am a man, I am advanced.....I am the first man to borrow Stone's leather pants!
  • memememe Posts: 4,695
    Sounds like instant (good) karma got you :)
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.