The Spiral NIN fan club - not renewing, here's why

whitepantswhitepants Posts: 727
edited January 2007 in Other Music
Over a year ago, I signed up for the Spiral after many years of waiting for a NIN fan club. Well, after 4 concerts and not meeting Trent and not getting in sync with the fans at the Spiral fan club messageboard, I have decided to not renew my membership.

November marked 10 years of being a Ten club member and it has been the only rock band fan club I've been a member of. Comparing the fan perks between TC and Spiral was like comparing a raisin to a pineapple, they're both fruits, but very different. ;)

I did not like the Premier vs Standard membership. Out of the 4 concerts me and my friend attended (I had Standard $30, he had Premiere $60), we did not have the privilege for a meet and greet, or a sound check, but other people we knew were lucky in their cities. I did not like the set up of the messageboard and I certainly did not like the quality of the membership base.

Although it was great to have pre-sale ticket ordering, the seats I got I could have gotten from ticketbastard.

I'll always love NIN, they are my second favorite to PJ, but once you've been spoiled by the care that the TC gives to it's members, it's hard to join another band's fan club and expect the same and get service and quality and comaraderie to at the same level.
~*~Me and Hippiemom dranketh the red wine in Cleveland 2003~*~

First PJ Show: March 20, 1994 | Ann Arbor | Crisler Arena
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• uninnocentuninnocent Posts: 1,565
    i didn't bother getting a membership in the first place due to the price. after hearing this, i'm kinda glad i didn't join.
  • uninnocent wrote:
    i didn't bother getting a membership in the first place due to the price. after hearing this, i'm kinda glad i didn't join.

same. but im still looking forward to the next tour.
  • I'll be renewing mine for sure. I like to have presale access and I like how Trent answers questions, blogs, webchats, etc. That's worth it to me. Plus you never know what he'll do. He keeps saying he's taking this spiral thing seriously, so you never know. For as many shows as I went to, not paying the ticketbastard fees probably paid for my membership.
    me you wouldn't recall, cause i'm not my former.
  • Add one more thing...

At Red Rocks there was a long as fuck line and I got to walk right past everyone and into the venue. Definitely worth it.
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    I'll be renewing mine for sure. I like to have presale access and I like how Trent answers questions, blogs, webchats, etc. That's worth it to me. Plus you never know what he'll do. He keeps saying he's taking this spiral thing seriously, so you never know. For as many shows as I went to, not paying the ticketbastard fees probably paid for my membership.

Yeah he seems pretty responsive. I never saw that before where the main guy actually posts and says what's going on. I joined this year after being knocked flat by the live shows.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • uninnocentuninnocent Posts: 1,565
    JaneNY wrote:
    Yeah he seems pretty responsive. I never saw that before where the main guy actually posts and says what's going on. I joined this year after being knocked flat by the live shows.

great, all these positive responses about the spiral club are conflicting my pre-conceived anti-joining stance. i'ma have to give joining a serious look again. damnit, i'm looking for a reason to NOT spend the money. you people aren't helping me.
  • uninnocent wrote:
    great, all these positive responses about the spiral club are conflicting my pre-conceived anti-joining stance. i'ma have to give joining a serious look again. damnit, i'm looking for a reason to NOT spend the money. you people aren't helping me.

they're working on new membership packages right now, should be done soon.
  • Penny453Penny453 Posts: 200
    whitepants wrote:
    Over a year ago, I signed up for the Spiral after many years of waiting for a NIN fan club. Well, after 4 concerts and not meeting Trent and not getting in sync with the fans at the Spiral fan club messageboard, I have decided to not renew my membership.

November marked 10 years of being a Ten club member and it has been the only rock band fan club I've been a member of. Comparing the fan perks between TC and Spiral was like comparing a raisin to a pineapple, they're both fruits, but very different. ;)

I did not like the Premier vs Standard membership. Out of the 4 concerts me and my friend attended (I had Standard $30, he had Premiere $60), we did not have the privilege for a meet and greet, or a sound check, but other people we knew were lucky in their cities. I did not like the set up of the messageboard and I certainly did not like the quality of the membership base.

Although it was great to have pre-sale ticket ordering, the seats I got I could have gotten from ticketbastard.

I'll always love NIN, they are my second favorite to PJ, but once you've been spoiled by the care that the TC gives to it's members, it's hard to join another band's fan club and expect the same and get service and quality and comaraderie to at the same level.

I want to say a few things about this. TC has been around for like what? forever? They've had time to tweak the way they do things around here. This spiral just started. It is something new that they are trying to make better with each day that goes by. It is very harsh to compare one to the other. I could understand if you compared the 2 if they were up and around the same length of time. As for the meet and greets. Those were not guaranteed. Does PJ even do that? It was a nice added bonus that he didn't have to do for us. Plus, you said you only went to 4 concerts and you want a meet and greet? I went to many more than that and I didn't get one and I'm not complaining. I'm happy with what I got. You also mentioned that you didn't get in sync with the spiral members from the board...maybe they're not your cup of tea. I have met many of the spiral people and have nothing but nice things to say of them. They are some of the coolest people I've ever met. I actually go to visit some of them when life isn't too hectic. I can't say the same about this board. Don't get me wrong. There are some very nice people here, but like always in anywhere you go you always run across some jerks along the way. It's what you make of it. I myself did renew because I enjoy the spiral very much. I've made many friends that I now speak to and hang out with on a frequent basis. Did you ever try and give the Spiral members a chance? You'd be surprised with the results. The setup of the message board now is very similar to this one. My whole point is....that the Spiral is just starting off...Even the TC has a ways to go. I think I have a massive heart attack everytime I go to get tix for a concert here. I think with time like this board it will get better. Ok I'm done with my rant. Thank you.
    "And even when I'm right with you I'm so far away"
  • whitepants wrote:

I'd be happy that you got as many perks as you did. Most fan clubs are complete shit...take Tool's for instance. Any honest member of ToolArmy will tell you it is aweful as far as perks go...not even presales for the last tour.

The presales would be enough for me to join I think...I probably should at some point.
  • Penny453Penny453 Posts: 200
    Saturnal wrote:
    I'd be happy that you got as many perks as you did. Most fan clubs are complete shit...take Tool's for instance. Any honest member of ToolArmy will tell you it is aweful as far as perks go...not even presales for the last tour.

The presales would be enough for me to join I think...I probably should at some point.
    have you yet? the package is nice.
    "And even when I'm right with you I'm so far away"
  • audiodaveaudiodave Posts: 1,623
    I'm more than happy with The Spiral. Sure, the welcome packages take a LONG time to arrive, but i've enjoyed two early entries to hear the new album since becoming a Spiral member. And i've only attended two shows as a Spiral member. Not bad, I don't think!
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

I don't wanna think, I wanna feel

Dublin 23/08/06 Lisbon I 04/09/06 Lisbon II 05/09/06 Paris 11/09/06 Verona 16/09/06

London 18/06/07 Dusseldorf 21/06/07 Copenhagen 26/06/07 Nijmegen 28/06/07