dragonforce?

i am a targeti am a target Posts: 808
edited June 2008 in Other Music
anyone here seen them live? i'm considering going. not a huge fan but seeing those guys play guitar live must be insane. for anyone not familiar with the band watch this video. and yes. they do really play that fast. i've seen studio clips of them playing on youtube. quite possibly the worst lyrics ever. but hey. thats metal. the only song i know well is "through the fire and flames".

http://youtube.com/user/dragonforceofficial?ob=4

(just fastfoward to 3:22 if you want to see what i'm talking about)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• JellyrollsJellyrolls Posts: 523
    I have never seen them live, but the two guitarists puts every guitarist (except maybe 4-5) out there to shame. A lot of people here won't agree with me but they won't have a good argument to prove me wrong.
  • mole1985mole1985 Posts: 1,119
    hate to burst your bubble but Dragonforce use computers for their guitar solos, a friend of mine has seen them live and they just arn't that good.
    Dublin 2006
    Katowice 2007
    London 2007
  • transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    I would also go, just to hear the guitar players however I think my head would pop off sitting through a whole show.
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Jellyrolls wrote:
    I have never seen them live, but the two guitarists puts every guitarist (except maybe 4-5) out there to shame. A lot of people here won't agree with me but they won't have a good argument to prove me wrong.
    Here's an argument for you:

Speed =/= good musician.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • pjalive21pjalive21 Posts: 2,818
    mole1985 wrote:
    hate to burst your bubble but Dragonforce use computers for their guitar solos, a friend of mine has seen them live and they just arn't that good.

ummmm tell your friend to open up his eyes...saw them in the states here in Missouri with Killswitch Engage and Chaimara and they def played their guitars fully and brought the house down

go see them if you can
    Dublin 2006
    Katowice 2007
    London 2007
    Jeremy1012 wrote:

Speed =/= good musician.
    Though I don't judge how good a musician is by how fast they can play, the fact they CAN play that fast, whether you like the music or not is very impressive.

I remember watching a YouTube clip here awhile back with some artist performing a slide guitar unlike anything I have ever heard. I remember everyone agreeing (rightfully so) that it was freaking awesome. Well, I guess I don't see that much of a difference between that and what someone like a Malmsteen/Buckethead/these Dragonforce guys can do.
    Jeremy1012 wrote:

Speed =/= good musician.

That is the number one argument against these two players. I agree with you, but they play some amazingly hard notes...and then they boost the speed up on it. I'd like to see some of the cliche "greatest guitarists of all time" play like these two do.
  • eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    Jellyrolls wrote:
    but they play some amazingly hard notes...

I'm not sure I know any amazingly hard notes to play on a guitar, well, except for the Q Sharp. That one is hard...
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • DjangoDjango Posts: 152
    They can play, but the music is just ridiculous.

I'm amazed that younger rock fans take it seriously. Its sooo corny.
    Django wrote:

they put one of their major influences from computer games!!! lol
    Dublin 2006
    Katowice 2007
    London 2007
    transplant wrote:
    Though I don't judge how good a musician is by how fast they can play, the fact they CAN play that fast, whether you like the music or not is very impressive.

I remember watching a YouTube clip here awhile back with some artist performing a slide guitar unlike anything I have ever heard. I remember everyone agreeing (rightfully so) that it was freaking awesome. Well, I guess I don't see that much of a difference between that and what someone like a Malmsteen/Buckethead/these Dragonforce guys can do.
    The amazing slide guitar probably had a modicum of musicality to go along with the technical proficiency. The guitarists from Dragonforce play sped-up Nintendo music like robots and, as someone mentioned earlier, their sound is SO computer processed it's unbelievable. You ever hear guitar tones like that anywhere else? they sound like rayguns. I'd be careful before assuming it's only the tones they've doctored.

I don't utterly disregard all "shredders". Steve Vai is technically absurd but knows when to play tastefully. Much of his "slow" music is as awful as his shred but the guy at least tries to make a composition rather than a scalar exercise in fret-burning.

And by the way, I appreciate what you're saying but I don't want to be impressed by music, I want to be moved by it.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
    Jellyrolls wrote:
    That is the number one argument against these two players. I agree with you, but they play some amazingly hard notes...and then they boost the speed up on it. I'd like to see some of the cliche "greatest guitarists of all time" play like these two do.
    uh...

:o I don't really know what to say to that other than the fact that all guitar notes are of equal difficulty to play.

If it makes you feel better, I don't particularly rate Clapton, Page, Brian May, any of those at all.
  • DjangoDjango Posts: 152
    Shredding aside, I just find the cock rock cheeseyness of dragonforce embarrassing. Even the name make's me cringe.
    Django wrote:
    Shredding aside, I just find the cock rock cheeseyness of dragonforce embarrassing. Even the name make's me cringe.

you must think the same of Iron Maiden then...so embarassing let me tell you..please
    mole1985 wrote:

i hope you were joking..haha

i would like to see you play that song
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Jellyrolls wrote:
    I'd like to see these guys play with the soul and musicality of the all time greats.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • OUTHOUSEOUTHOUSE Posts: 39
    Dragonforce is lame.

They all look like a bunch of dorks. Their lyrics are shit and there mastebatory guitar solos while fast are still boring.

Other than that they are tolerable I guess.
    I'd like to see these guys play with the soul and musicality of the all time greats.

Play with soul? Lol.

Anyways on the flipside.. I'd like to see these 'all time greats' play some of the shit herman li does. I will be the first to tell you that I am not really a fan of Dragonforce at all.. actually I agree with the stuff being said about them such as being lame, but I can get past that stuff and tell that they have 2 truly amazing guitarist.

I would probably be right to say that half of you think that Mccready is a better guitarist than Herman Li. Not taking away ANYTHING from Mike, but no.
  • IgottagoIgottago Posts: 483
    When did D & D players decide to start bands? Wow, they can play super fast..must be all that time playing video games that got their fingers so fast. Boring and cheesey as hell.

I can play 2 notes that are a more enjoyable listen than that stuff.
  • HebejebeHebejebe Posts: 108
    Jellyrolls wrote:
    Play with soul? Lol.

Anyways on the flipside.. I'd like to see these 'all time greats' play some of the shit herman li does. I will be the first to tell you that I am not really a fan of Dragonforce at all.. actually I agree with the stuff being said about them such as being lame, but I can get past that stuff and tell that they have 2 truly amazing guitarist.

I would probably be right to say that half of you think that Mccready is a better guitarist than Herman Li. Not taking away ANYTHING from Mike, but no.
    It's all subjective and opinion. Sure Mike wouldn't be able to (as far as I know) play the stuff Herman does but straight technical ability doesn't make you a better musician and I'm not knocking Herman here.

All to often people say stuff like "B.B King can say more with one note than <insert guitarist here> can with a thousand". It's certainly true that B.B. King can express himself fairly simply but he wouldn't be an apt replacement for Herman of he left the band :) Nor should technical ability be sneered at.

It often appears that guitarists like Herman can't play with restraint, but then I've only heard him in Dragonforce, perhaps he is an incredible blues guitarist too.

One of my friends is a huge Satriani fan, on one of the G3s he plays Red House and he makes a mess of it because of the fact he played stuff that simply didn't fit the song.
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Jellyrolls wrote:
    Play with soul? Lol.

Better guitarist? I don't know.

Better MUSICIAN? Hell yes.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • OUTHOUSE wrote:
    Dragonforce is lame.

They all look like a bunch of dorks. Their lyrics are shit and there mastebatory guitar solos while fast are still boring.

HAHA!!! GENIUS! I honestly couldn't have put it better myself :D

I've unfortunately seen this band play live, twice, and they were abysmal.
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
    Hebejebe wrote:
    It's all subjective and opinion. Sure Mike wouldn't be able to (as far as I know) play the stuff Herman does but straight technical ability doesn't make you a better musician and I'm not knocking Herman here.

All to often people say stuff like "B.B King can say more with one note than <insert guitarist here> can with a thousand". It's certainly true that B.B. King can express himself fairly simply but he wouldn't be an apt replacement for Herman of he left the band :) Nor should technical ability be sneered at.

It often appears that guitarists like Herman can't play with restraint, but then I've only heard him in Dragonforce, perhaps he is an incredible blues guitarist too.

One of my friends is a huge Satriani fan, on one of the G3s he plays Red House and he makes a mess of it because of the fact he played stuff that simply didn't fit the song.
    really good post. You are right, technical ability shouldn't be sneered at but it is. This thread alone proves it. Somehow if you are known as a technical guitarist, all the sudden you aren't a good musician. I sure hope you are not implying that Satriani can't play a blues lick :)
  • MCGMCG Posts: 780
    I find Dragonforce to be impressive, however I don't dig their melodies. If you just like to listen to crazy fast guitar shit they are the band for you, just don't expect to be singing along.
    Which came first,
    the bad idea or me befallen by it?
  • Django wrote:

who said anything about taking them seriously?
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    As talented as I think they are, I think their songs all sound too similar. Listening to a whole album of theirs in my mates car bored me to tears.
  • It's like they write music specifically for Guitar Hero games.
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
    transplant wrote:
    Somehow if you are known as a technical guitarist, all the sudden you aren't a good musician. I sure hope you are not implying that Satriani can't play a blues lick :)
    See my previous posts.

Steve Vai, John McLaughlin, Sonny Sharrock, Paco De Lucia - some of the most capable musicians who have ever lived and can shred with the best of them.

Dragonforce - A joke, which they are in on and probably laugh at anyone who doesn't see it. Yes, they can play fast. Are they musicians? No.
  • prytocorduroyprytocorduroy Posts: 4,355
    I don't know what to say about these clowns. Talented. But, yeah. The lyrics are so cheesy. Let's play a million miles a second. I'd much rather be defined by tone (which they have but it's lame) than speed/endurance (which is what they're known for).