the beach boys pet sounds/brian wilson SMILE

GiventoFallGiventoFall Posts: 217
edited June 2008 in Other Music
any fans of one or the other or both?
Get over here!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,854
    I'm a fan of both. I think the finished Smile album is one of the greatest albums ever made. well worth the 40 year wait. Pet Sounds is good but I actually prefer much of their early surf music to it.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • AlBorlandAlBorland Posts: 117
    http://www.somethingawful.com/d/your-band-sucks/greatest-albums-ever.php

The Beach Boys
    Pet Sounds

This abomination is placed pretty highly on just about every album list I’ve ever seen. Usually in the top five, even. Nowadays, Pet Sounds has all the cultural relevance of a dog food commercial. It’s an elaborate symphony of merry, jingling pap, filled with goofy noises and men with extremely high voices. Hearing Brian Wilson and his band of brothers hit the notes in “Don’t Talk” is a truly emasculating experience. Seriously, it makes my nuts suck up into my body a little bit, like imagining Ernest Borgnine naked. I think the album is so highly rated for a few reasons: first of all, critics are fascinated by Brian Wilson because he is a loony idiot savant, and everybody knows that loony idiot savants make the best music. They refuse to admit that the album is merely a syrupy and overblown testament to one man’s meticulous studio habits. Even if Pet Sounds has the most elaborate production on Earth, that still just makes it rock and roll’s most highly-polished turd.

lol
    Skeletons ain't got nowhere to stick their money.
    AlBorland wrote:
    http://www.somethingawful.com/d/your-band-sucks/greatest-albums-ever.php

The Beach Boys
    Pet Sounds

This abomination is placed pretty highly on just about every album list I’ve ever seen. Usually in the top five, even. Nowadays, Pet Sounds has all the cultural relevance of a dog food commercial. It’s an elaborate symphony of merry, jingling pap, filled with goofy noises and men with extremely high voices. Hearing Brian Wilson and his band of brothers hit the notes in “Don’t Talk” is a truly emasculating experience. Seriously, it makes my nuts suck up into my body a little bit, like imagining Ernest Borgnine naked. I think the album is so highly rated for a few reasons: first of all, critics are fascinated by Brian Wilson because he is a loony idiot savant, and everybody knows that loony idiot savants make the best music. They refuse to admit that the album is merely a syrupy and overblown testament to one man’s meticulous studio habits. Even if Pet Sounds has the most elaborate production on Earth, that still just makes it rock and roll’s most highly-polished turd.

lol

GO BACK TO TOOL TIME!!!!!!!!
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • AlBorlandAlBorland Posts: 117
    GO BACK TO TOOL TIME!!!!!!!!

hahaha, that guy does it to a lot of my favorite albums too.
    Skeletons ain't got nowhere to stick their money.
  • I never liked Pet Sounds until I heard the stereo remix, which strips away layers and layers of murk and sounds magnificent. Try listening to the mono mix afterwards and there's no contest.

Smile is a masterpiece and it's far better than Pet Sounds...would have made Brian a legend (as if he isn't already).

I saw Brian Wilson and his band perform "Smile" live and it was one of the greatest experiences of my life. It was completely moving. People were crying all over the place. The only thing that could top it would be the return of Syd Barrett.
  • J-PJ-P Posts: 16
    I saw Brian Wilson on the Smile tour and was very impressed. He played like nearly 3 hours and because so many of the old Beach Boys songs are like 2 minutes, the setlist had like 50+ songs.
  • El_KabongEl_Kabong Posts: 4,141
    i like both but probably would say i like smile more
    standin above the crowd
    he had a voice that was strong and loud and
    i swallowed his facade cos i'm so
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
    someone who seemed to feel the same
    someone prepared to lead the way
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    i saw that Smile was released a few years back.. i have a question: did Wilson retrack everything or is it the original album and he just put some finishing touches on? wow, that's bad grammar. what i mean is, is it new vocals cut in the 2000s or the O.G. vocals from back in the day?
    JWBusher wrote:
    I saw Brian Wilson and his band perform "Smile" live and it was one of the greatest experiences of my life. It was completely moving. People were crying all over the place. The only thing that could top it would be the return of Syd Barrett.

I can imagine that is exactly what it was like. I gotta throw that album on right now. That probably one greatest concerts ever.

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • i saw that Smile was released a few years back.. i have a question: did Wilson retrack everything or is it the original album and he just put some finishing touches on? wow, that's bad grammar. what i mean is, is it new vocals cut in the 2000s or the O.G. vocals from back in the day?

It's 100% new.

But all the music and most of the lyrics were written in 1966.