SMC: We Was ~ Age Of The Earth

alobaralobar Posts: 310
edited July 2006 in Other Music
myspace.com is just so pervasive these days and practically anyone making music has a myspace. I feel that there is just so much undiscovered talent out there and myspace has really given people the chance to share their original music with the world.
This is Age of the Earth, who I found on myspace through a mutual friend and I've been really into his music. It's a strong solo effort with him playing all the instruments you hear, including drums. He just finished mastering this album, so I thought I'd share it with you all. Though the songs are short, there are 21 songs on the album, which can all stand on their own. Hope you all enjoy!
"I wanna believe in the mercy of the world again."

WAR + MAGIC BEANS = PEACE
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• viggs20viggs20 Posts: 1,296
    I was itching for a new album.
    "Reality continues to ruin my life." - Calvin & Hobbes.

www.stopglobalaids.com www.indymedia.org www.ecologyfund.com www.thehungersite.com www.amnesty.org www.pratham.org www.icbl.org www.care2.com/click2donate
  • alobaralobar Posts: 310
    here's the tracklist:

1. Tied In Or Not
    2. Crows and Sparrows
    3. Automata in 213
    4. Low Light and Thin Walls
    5. Frosen
    6. Haunted and the Harrowed
    7. Glass and Grenadine
    8. Broke Her Wing
    9. We Was
    10. The Little Things
    11. Something Something
    12. Crooked
    13. Good Mr. Getdown
    14. People Of Our Past
    15. The Great History
    16. When You Spin
    17. Bastard Settlement
    18. Dug Real Deep
    19. Pelican
    20. Arching Arrows
    21. Blue Hilo

• transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    cool. I will be downloading this tomorrow.
    This friend of mine, during the college days, late night around 2:00 am after beers would break out his guitar and just play. I always thought he had a shit load of potential and I enjoyed kicking back and listening. I didn't know if I liked it because I was drunk, he was a good friend, he was actually talented or what it was. The next day I couldn't remember a melody, lyric, solo nothing.

Listening to Age of the Earth brought me back to that period of my life before the first song ended. Clearly this guy is talented. He lost me around the last 1/3 of the disc but hey, it has a ton of material on there with a bizillion influences. I have listened through it twice, not done with it by any means but I can't remember a specific piece other than an early Floyd influence near the beginning third of the CD (can't remember track name). I wasn't listening to this aggressively, I was doing other work on the computer.

So it is time to take a more active approach. I'll post more later. I just didn't want this thread to drop to far down.
    transplant wrote:
    This friend of mine, during the college days, late night around 2:00 am after beers would break out his guitar and just play. I always thought he had a shit load of potential and I enjoyed kicking back and listening. I didn't know if I liked it because I was drunk, he was a good friend, he was actually talented or what it was. The next day I couldn't remember a melody, lyric, solo nothing.

Listening to Age of the Earth brought me back to that period of my life before the first song ended. Clearly this guy is talented. He lost me around the last 1/3 of the disc but hey, it has a ton of material on there with a bizillion influences. I have listened through it twice, not done with it by any means but I can't remember a specific piece other than an early Floyd influence near the beginning third of the CD (can't remember track name). I wasn't listening to this aggressively, I was doing other work on the computer.

So it is time to take a more active approach. I'll post more later. I just didn't want this thread to drop to far down.

Yeah, Right on Transplant. I can see an early Floyd influence in there somewhere. I hear lots of influences in there like the Beatles, Neil Young, Built To Spill, Sebadoh and sometimes Ted Leo comes to mind. He's definitely got his own flavor too.

The real standout tracks to me are "Something Something," "We Was" and "Good Mr. Getdown." Check these ones out and the rest will follow. That's how it goes for me anyway.

Actually the first song I heard from this guy was "Glass and Grenadine" and it really got my attention, the song and the lyrics just fit so well. Anyways, thanks for giving it a review, Transplant.

alobar wrote:
    I can see an early Floyd influence in there somewhere. I hear lots of influences in there like the Beatles, Neil Young, Built To Spill, Sebadoh and sometimes Ted Leo comes to mind. He's definitely got his own flavor too.
    Automata in 213 is the one that reminded me most of the early Floyd. I'm road-trippin the rest of the week so I bring this disc along. I would like to hear the Ted Leo influence, that guy rules.
    transplant wrote:
    Automata in 213 is the one that reminded me most of the early Floyd. I'm road-trippin the rest of the week so I bring this disc along. I would like to hear the Ted Leo influence, that guy rules.

I think I hear the Ted Leo influence in "Haunted and the Harrowed," although Ted Leo really is in a league of his own.

• viggs20viggs20 Posts: 1,296
    I can see this guy playing in some coffe-house...there is that lazy, boring summer day feel to his songs. He has probably recorded it all at home, but I don't think better production values would make it sound any better. I don't know if I should be too critical of this because being a shitty guitar player myself writing songs that I wouldn't want anyone to hear - Age of the Earth is more talented than I'll ever be. But I listened to this 3 times just to hear something I could write about and unfortunately I don't think I'll go back to it again.
    "Reality continues to ruin my life." - Calvin & Hobbes.

www.stopglobalaids.com www.indymedia.org www.ecologyfund.com www.thehungersite.com www.amnesty.org www.pratham.org www.icbl.org www.care2.com/click2donate
  • swedeswede Posts: 558
    sorry had to miss this - and will miss a few now. ill let u guys know when im ready to do it again. i start my trip tomorrow! fly out to the states.

ill be in touch :)
    viggs20 wrote:
    I can see this guy playing in some coffe-house...there is that lazy, boring summer day feel to his songs. He has probably recorded it all at home, but I don't think better production values would make it sound any better. I don't know if I should be too critical of this because being a shitty guitar player myself writing songs that I wouldn't want anyone to hear - Age of the Earth is more talented than I'll ever be. But I listened to this 3 times just to hear something I could write about and unfortunately I don't think I'll go back to it again.

hey viggs, thanks for checking it out. I have no qualms with you disliking it- that is allowed. I agree that better production wouldn't drastically change this album for the better....it's really more about the songs and the songwriting that I admire from Age of the Earth.

• AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,236
    Sorry guys that I've missed like the last four entries- I just haven't been around much- with having seen a few PJ shows (and more to come! woo!), traveling for work, and work itself, it's just been terribly hectic.

I have downloaded a couple of the last entries, but haven't given any a real close listen yet. I promise to comment when I get a chance though.
    alobar wrote:
    Actually the first song I heard from this guy was "Glass and Grenadine"
    this is probably my favorite song off the disc. I have ignored anything MySpace related to this day. Never even been on anyones site. I guess it is nice to know that an artist is really getting around this way. I mean it may be pretty cool for Age of the Earth to know that we have been discussing his CD on a PJ board.

I don't know how often I will return to this however it was nice and encouraging to hear it.
  • StoneG82StoneG82 Posts: 806
    hey guys I just got back from vacation....been gone all last week....I guess I missed this one.

sorry :(
    "What’s Orphans? I don’t know. Orphans is a dead end kid driving a coffin with big tires across the Ohio River wearing welding goggles and a wife beater with a lit firecracker in his ear." - Tom Waits