Daniel Johnston- greatest living songwriter

alobaralobar Posts: 310
edited October 2006 in Other Music
that was the statement at the beginning of the documentary, "The Devil and Daniel Johnston" (which is fantastic, btw). I am determined to find out if there is any merit to it. I picked up his album, "Fun," and "Discovered and Covered" and so far "Fun" has me singing to every single song. I'm starting to believe.

Many musicians today seem to think he's a musical genius like Sonic Youth, Beck, Built To Spill, and M. Ward to name a few.

the man is crazy, but he writes incredible songs!
"I wanna believe in the mercy of the world again."

WAR + MAGIC BEANS = PEACE
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    the regard with which he's talked about, i would have sworn he was dead.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • I've never heard of this guy, but I thought Tom Waits was taking that title... maybe I'm wrong.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I've never heard of this guy, but I thought Tom Waits was taking that title... maybe I'm wrong.

I thought it was Bob Dylan, but i guess i'll have to give this guy a shot.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    He does'nt hold a candle to Weird Al.
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • PJGARDENPJGARDEN Posts: 1,484
    alobar wrote:
    the man is crazy, but he writes incredible songs!

I have actually known him for about 20 years, which is most of my life, and to say that he's crazy is an understatement. He is an incredible song writer though.
  • alobaralobar Posts: 310
    I've never heard of this guy, but I thought Tom Waits was taking that title... maybe I'm wrong.

I'd say Dylan still has that title for me. Tom Waits is a great songwriter, but he's not at the level of Dylan or Neil Young.

But Waits does do a a couple covers of Daniel Johnston songs. He covered one for a Daniel Johnston tribute album and he has another one on his new album, Orphans.
    "I wanna believe in the mercy of the world again."

WAR + MAGIC BEANS = PEACE
  • U2rocksU2rocks Posts: 89
    I would definitely agree that that is a great movie about Daniel Johnston..whom I knew very little about before seeing the movie. For my money the greatest living songwriter would still definitely be Bob Dylan.

I don't much of Tom Waits stuff because I can't get past the "singing" sounds like he's chowing down on road pavement. But....just my opinion.

http://www.myspace.com/ramon1972
  • electronblueelectronblue WPB Florida Posts: 3,460
    i've been looking in all dvd shops within 10 miles from my house to rent the movie 'the devil and daniel johnston' and i still haven't found it...~

:/
    "Forgive every being,
    the bad feelings 
    it's just me"

• larslars Posts: 524
    DJ is a homo
    You can´t trust a vegetarian.
  • I just listened to some of his stuff and his vocals are eerie as hell. Don't believe me? Listen to Careless Soul. Fucking eerie.
  • ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    It's quite funny really how, when he was making much of his early music, he was still working in the local McDonalds wiping tables and sweeping the floor.
  • intodeep wrote:
    I thought it was Bob Dylan, but i guess i'll have to give this guy a shot.
    nope, your're right.
    'tis dylan.
    "There are teams that are fair-haired,and those that aren't so fair-haired.Some teams are named Smith,some Grabowski. We're Grabowskis."-Mike Ditka, January 1986

everytime i have to take a crap i sing EVACUATION!!!
    EVACUATION!!
    "i'll let you be in my dream if i can be in your dream." -b.dylan
  • somebody help me out here...

at the end of the movie "The Devil and Daniel Johnston" it says that Pearl Jam has covered him... does anyone know which song and when?

And also I've seen somewhere that PJ has used some of his artwork [i think in a poster]. The first poster that I thought of is the Seattle/Randall's Island 1996 poster http://www.expressobeans.com/show.php?id=1438 .(which by the way is my favorite poster) But after a closer look it doesn't really look like Daniel Johnston's stuff.

Any ideas?
    Everything not forbidden is compulsory and eveything not compulsory is forbidden. You are free... free to do what the government says you can do.
  • solved part of the puzzle...

Walk the cow
    October 1, 1994
    Shoreline Amphitheatre
    Mountain View, California

Last PlayedJuly 10, 2006
    The Forum
    Los Angeles, California
    Everything not forbidden is compulsory and eveything not compulsory is forbidden. You are free... free to do what the government says you can do.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    solved part of the puzzle...

Walk the cow
    October 1, 1994
    Shoreline Amphitheatre
    Mountain View, California

Last PlayedJuly 10, 2006
    The Forum
    Los Angeles, California

who walks their cow?
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
    I read a review of The devil&d johnstonDVD and was intrigued, I managed to get hold of Artistic Vice. dunno If I find his vocals all that spooky,that said its some strong music, very melodic and sunk in immediatly.
    most of the songs seem to be either in delirium or lament for a woman

anybody know if theres a particular record I should hear of his?