Guided By Voices. Ok, now I'm on board

2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance Posts: 23,243
edited August 2008 in Other Music
holy shit people. i never gave it a chance. its really awesome!
www.cluthelee.com
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Great band.

Any love for Tractor Rape Chain? Best song on Bee Thousand in my opinion, although The Goldheart Mountaintop Queen Directory comes close.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    I got Bee Thousand the day it came out. the buzz surrounding it was incredible. First listen I thought it was the biggest pile of shit I have ever heard. I kept it, played it once or twice a year hoping it would hit me. I even put a post up here trying to understand it. Well shortly after... about 2 years ago, it hit like a two ton heavy thing. Looking back I can't explain how I didn't like "I Am a Scientist" or in fact the whole fricking thing. It is an AMAZING Cd. Due to that discovery, I never ever get rid of a CD. Just file it away for a later time.

Their catalog is kinda intimidating, I have slowly been working my way through it, as well as the Pollard/Sprout releases (Tobin Sprout's Moonflower Plastic is fantastic).

Only frustrating thing is you listen to them and you know damn well that GbV could have put an indie pop masterpiece together (though some say Bee Thousand or Alien Lanes are), however they always put those few filler 30 second tracks on there that don't annoy me much, however they don't really add much either.

I don't know why I typed all that, just bored I suppose. Anyway, fantastic band, another that I missed the boat on and will never get to see live.
  • toddiet123toddiet123 Posts: 271
    between Roberts solo stuff and the band work..you only need to get about 325 more releases. That dooode is PROLIFIC!
  • gusturtlegusturtle Posts: 442
    seek out 'bulldog skin' and 'hot freaks.' two amazing songs!!!!
  • mole1985mole1985 Posts: 1,119
    ....never heard of 'em. What they sound like?
    Dublin 2006
    Katowice 2007
    London 2007