difference between "Mothership" Zep and previous releases?

2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance Posts: 23,243
edited November 2007 in Other Music
Ok, I pride myself on being an audiophile, but I'm here listening to Led Zeppelin's "Mothership" collection that is supposed to be remastered. Anyone else picking up on any subtle, not so subtle differences?
www.cluthelee.com
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• itsevobabyitsevobaby Posts: 1,809
    i can't hear a difference from remasters, even the tracklisting is near identical aside from when the levee breaks & a couple of omissions (misty mountain hop & battle of evermore!? wtf!?!). and still no lemon song!?!! even the dvd edition is just stuff from the ledzep dvd, it really begs the question, what the fuck was the point... record companies treat consumers like idiots sometimes
    Look Alive,
    See These Bones
  • i think you are right. i bought it off iTunes to get registered to see them in england next month. i have all their major releases, except for those silly comps they put together like the "early years" or whatever.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    i rather doubt the remasters of the remasters is going to produce a dramatic difference. im buying it becos it's got the best tracklisting of any zep comp out there.
  • itsevobaby wrote:
    i can't hear a difference from remasters, even the tracklisting is near identical aside from when the levee breaks & a couple of omissions (misty mountain hop & battle of evermore!? wtf!?!). and still no lemon song!?!! even the dvd edition is just stuff from the ledzep dvd, it really begs the question, what the fuck was the point... record companies treat consumers like idiots sometimes

I don't think the record companies treat us like idioit. Not everyone is a huge music fan like most of us on here, and have every Led Zeppelin album. I think this is a good way for people to actually buy music since most people don't these days.
  • Edved82Edved82 Posts: 1,279
    well personally i wont bother, i have everything Zep ever released apart from Early and Latter days. But if it allows young people to get into Zep, then i dont have a problem with it. Its more likely that people will invest in the albums after buying a greatest hits - thats how i got into Zep, i bought Remasters and never looked back
    "...though my problems are meaningless....that don't make them go away...."
  • BeavBeav Posts: 223
    The DVD I'm looking forward to since it's remastered in surround sound. It was only available in two channel stereo until now. The "Mothership" cd on the other hand just seems like a way to milk the Zeppelin name some more. Pretty lame if you ask me. Anyone can make a compilation of already available tracks and from the sound of peoples opinions here, there's not much difference in sound quality. Oh well.. Zeppelin is still the Balls.
    "Sooner or later you'll bare your teeth"
    www.myspace.com/volinic
    www.myspace.com/zane26 (band)
  • JoostoneJoostone Posts: 232
    who cares about 'best of' compilations, led zep already released three. Remasters being the first and early/latter days being the second. Just get all their records. If you need a good place to start with than Mothership is a good starting point, if you already own everything than you don't really want this. Most tracks are the same, some minor differences are on this set, mostly they made some songs louder. Which is not a good thing because LZ was ll about dynamic.

I'm looking way more forward to the TSRTS remaster!
    PJ: Pinkpop 2000, Sydney I/II/III 2003, Adelaide 2003, Arnhem 2006, Antwerp 2006, Berlin 2006, Dusseldorf 2007, Nijmegen 2007, Werchter 2007, Rotterdam 2009, Berlin 2009, Nijmegen 2010, Amsterdam I/II 2012, Amsterdam I/II 2014, Amsterdam I/II 2018, Pinkpop 2018, Werchter 2018, Pinkpop 2022, Budapest 2022, Krakow 2022, Amsterdam 2022.
    EV: Amsterdam II 2012, Amsterdam I/III 2017, Amsterdam I 2019
    Brad: Zoetermeer & Utrecht 2013
    Soundgarden: Pinkpop 2012, Amsterdam 2013, Utrecht 2014
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    this one goes to eleven.
  • ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    whats on the DVD version? I won't buy this unless anyone thinks it's worth buying for the DVD portion? It's pretty much the same as remasters except for a few differences.... I would have preferred a 3 disc plus DVD version

3 disc could include

Misty Moutain
    BOE
    Fool In The Rain
    Moby Dick

the list goes on and on.... any zeppelin CD or comp is quality though. best ever
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
    Zoso wrote:
    whats on the DVD version? I won't buy this unless anyone thinks it's worth buying for the DVD portion? It's pretty much the same as remasters except for a few differences.... I would have preferred a 3 disc plus DVD version

3 disc could include

Misty Moutain
    BOE
    Fool In The Rain
    Moby Dick

the list goes on and on.... any zeppelin CD or comp is quality though. best ever

the dvd is apparently just highlights from the 2-disc self-titled dvd, which i assume from your name that you already have. someone said something about remastered sound, but i dunno what that entails. i made my own third disc to complement with the following tracklisting:

your time is gonna come
    what is and what should never be
    celebration day
    tangerine
    battle of evermore
    misty mountain hop
    going to california
    dancing days
    the ocean
    custard pie
    in my time of dying
    ten years gone
    fool in the rain
    hey hey what can i do
  • muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    It's obviously released to coincide with the one off gig in London but even so, as a very casual Led Zeppelin fan, I'm very tempted to pick this up. They're obviously a great band but their large catalogue 'intimdates' me, if that makes sense...
    muppet wrote:
    It's obviously released to coincide with the one off gig in London but even so, as a very casual Led Zeppelin fan, I'm very tempted to pick this up. They're obviously a great band but their large catalogue 'intimdates' me, if that makes sense...

makes perfect sense. back in the day, i had 2-3 albums and ended up paring down to the best of's. this is a very strong introduction to the band, and a solid summary of their highlights. if it ends up being the only zep you end up owning, it's a good one to have. if you're trying to figure out whether to go further, it will help you figure that out and guide you. though i admit, it leans heavier on the hard rocking songs and doesn't really touch on their folksy acoustic side all that much. that's about the only complaint. but if you download some of the songs from the cd i made, you can check that stuff out too.
  • Replace "In The Evening" with "Fool In The Rain" and it's perfect.
    the dvd is apparently just highlights from the 2-disc self-titled dvd, which i assume from your name that you already have. someone said something about remastered sound, but i dunno what that entails. i made my own third disc to complement with the following tracklisting:

your time is gonna come
    what is and what should never be
    celebration day
    tangerine
    battle of evermore
    misty mountain hop
    going to california
    dancing days
    the ocean
    custard pie
    in my time of dying
    ten years gone
    fool in the rain
    hey hey what can i do
    yep. this is totally what they needed to do (maybe add in over the hills & lemon song :p i guess the list could go on...)
    Look Alive,
    See These Bones
  • ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    itsevobaby wrote:
    yep. this is totally what they needed to do (maybe add in over the hills & lemon song :p i guess the list could go on...)

There should have been a 3 disc best of essential Led Zeppelin I think because the list of great tracks never end with this band. I thought over the hills was already on mothership?
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
    Zoso wrote:
    There should have been a 3 disc best of essential Led Zeppelin I think because the list of great tracks never end with this band. I thought over the hills was already on mothership?
    oops so it is, 2nd track, 2nd disc.
    Look Alive,
    See These Bones
  • ii44ii44 Posts: 430
    Seems like a good deal. I have all those track/videos already, but for the uninitiated it's a pretty sweet set.
  • glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    listening to this.......you get led zep and then the rest
    Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick