Options

Neil Young's rant on CNN EN last night

2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,144
edited April 2006 in Other Music
whoa! he seemed pretty pissed and went on about writing a new song titled something like "impeach the president." anyone see this interview? i almost felt bad for the person interviewing him because it looked like she wasn't ready for his responses to her questions.
www.cluthelee.com
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Carlos DCarlos D Posts: 638
    No didn't see it,what sorta stuff did he say?
    It may be the devil or it may be the Lord
    But you're gonna have to serve somebody.

www.bebo.com/pearljam06
  • Options
    DCGARDENDCGARDEN Posts: 515
    Not sure I really care about his politics. I love his music, but I'm really tired of the Bush-Bashing Singers and Actors club.

Where's Team America World Police when you need them
    I'll keep taking punches
    Untill their will grows tired
  • Options
    DCGARDEN wrote:
    Not sure I really care about his politics. I love his music, but I'm really tired of the Bush-Bashing Singers and Actors club.

Yeah.. because the last thing we want is to mix music and politics. Damn. People might actually think about what they are listening to!

Make your life a mission - not an intermission. - Arnold Gasglow
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    DCGARDEN wrote:

You are very much entitled to your opinion, but be aware this is not new for neil young. through out his entire career he has made a point to write about things he is passionate about and that includes politics.

For instance

Ohio
    Campaigner

those were very obvious ones and there are tons more that are not as openly against a particular person but very political. For instance the entire greendale album, RITFW, and many more.

ARtist write about things they are passonate about. Pop singers and entertainers write about fun things to entertain people. Neil Young has never said he is an entertainer he is an artist. He follow's his muse and if his muse has him fired up about politics that is what he will write about.

Just as he has every right to make an album about any topic you have that same write not to listen.

I get upset when people say musicians should not talk about politics.... i don't understand that. The good ones write about politics because it is important to them.

Anyway I missed the interview what did neil say??
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    natureboy46natureboy46 Posts: 165
    intodeep wrote:
    You are very much entitled to your opinion, but be aware this is not new for neil young. through out his entire career he has made a point to write about things he is passionate about and that includes politics.

For instance

Ohio
    Campaigner

those were very obvious ones and there are tons more that are not as openly against a particular person but very political. For instance the entire greendale album, RITFW, and many more.

ARtist write about things they are passonate about. Pop singers and entertainers write about fun things to entertain people. Neil Young has never said he is an entertainer he is an artist. He follow's his muse and if his muse has him fired up about politics that is what he will write about.

Just as he has every right to make an album about any topic you have that same write not to listen.

I get upset when people say musicians should not talk about politics.... i don't understand that. The good ones write about politics because it is important to them.

Great post...well said.
    In the land of the little kings
    Profit is the only thing
    And everywhere the little kings
    Are getting away with murder
    - Paul Kelly

www.troywass.com
  • Options
    I also am sick of everyone bashing Bush left and right. If so many people are against Bush why did he get voted into office? For this reason, it's hard for me to watch the Daily Show. It's just 15 min of Bush-bashing and then the rest is some funny segment about something not Bush related and the guest is usually ultra liberal. Don't get me wrong, I also dislike Bush and I kind of regret voting for him but the Bush-bashing everywhere I turn is getting a bit annoying.
    "No matter how cold the winter, there's a springtime ahead."
  • Options
    I also am sick of everyone bashing Bush left and right. If so many people are against Bush why did he get voted into office? For this reason, it's hard for me to watch the Daily Show. It's just 15 min of Bush-bashing and then the rest is some funny segment about something not Bush related and the guest is usually ultra liberal. Don't get me wrong, I also dislike Bush and I kind of regret voting for him but the Bush-bashing everywhere I turn is getting a bit annoying.

because its definately not like there was ANY Clinton bashing by ANYBODY in 1998......
  • Options
    moemoe6434moemoe6434 Posts: 455
    DCGARDEN wrote:

Especially when the person is canadian and not from our country. This is The number one reason why i think Bono should stick it up his ass and go back to Ireland if he wants to complain.
    "If she don't love me no more, i know her sister will" Jimi Hendrix
  • Options
    because its definately not like there was ANY Clinton bashing by ANYBODY in 1998......
    of course there was and i was sick of that too. the first time someone made a joke about the "cigar" it was funny. the 1 millionth time i was like okay that's enough. comedians, musicians, etc. need to find something else to sing or talk about besides how dumb the president is. it's seems to me like a cop out. there are other more interesting things to sing or talk about.
    "No matter how cold the winter, there's a springtime ahead."
  • Options
    moemoe6434 wrote:
    Especially when the person is canadian and not from our country. This is The number one reason why i think Bono should stick it up his ass and go back to Ireland if he wants to complain.

Hmm....I just...don't agree with you, haha. At a loss for words, sorry.
    The poster formerly known as AeonFlux.
  • Options
    of course there was and i was sick of that too. the first time someone made a joke about the "cigar" it was funny. the 1 millionth time i was like okay that's enough. comedians, musicians, etc. need to find something else to sing or talk about besides how dumb the president is. it's seems to me like a cop out. there are other more interesting things to sing or talk about.

I understand where you're coming from. Just the jokes...they're getting Clintonian. But umm....I think because there are people in this world, music will speak about them and for them in some cases.
    The poster formerly known as AeonFlux.
  • Options
    moemoe6434moemoe6434 Posts: 455

If you sing about girls, dating, and poop then you are the funny party band.

But, if you sing about how depressing the world is and hate the president than you are somehow considered an intellectual even though you stay out til 4AM loaded on valium or whatever.... Pretty messed up public perception.
    "If she don't love me no more, i know her sister will" Jimi Hendrix
  • Options
    DCGARDENDCGARDEN Posts: 515
    intodeep wrote:

For instance

Ohio
    Campaigner

I believe you have mis-interpreted what I said. Allow me to be clear.
    I would not suggest bands/singers not sing about politics. You are right, no one is forced to buy the albums. I was referring to the topic at hand that started this thread ( it has evolved into something else, but that's expected)
    If I see Neil Young on TV doing interview, I want to hear about his music, because I have always loved it. But once he starts ranting about Bush, or anything political for that matter, I would just turn him off. Don't insinuate that I am against anyone's right to speak. When I go to see Pearl Jam, I would not be interested in hearing Vedder's rants on Bush either, unless they're in a song ( Bush-leaguer is a great song ), that's all I'm saying.
    I'll keep taking punches
    Untill their will grows tired
  • Options
    JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438

Thing is, Bush-bashing is the only thing we can do right now, you know? (Besides donating and paying attention to the 2006 elections and getting involved) We can't get the guy out of office so we must wait till 2008, so in the meantime, bashing blows off a little steam I guess. There has NEVER been such an inept and evil team of motherfuckers in the Whitehouse, EVER. Oh lord, don't get me started. Ok, cooling down.

So, anyone got a link to Neil on CNN? Is it on youtube? I'd like to see it. And I plan to get his new album as soon as its out.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • Options
    IgottagoIgottago Posts: 483
    moemoe6434 wrote:

I'm pretty sure Neil Young lives and pays taxes in the USA, and has done for years. He's entitled.

And isn't it kind of hypocritical to tell Bono to stay home? If you want people to mind their own business, perhaps you should start by telling your government.
  • Options
    JaneNY wrote:
    Thing is, Bush-bashing is the only thing we can do right now, you know? (Besides donating and paying attention to the 2006 elections and getting involved) We can't get the guy out of office so we must wait till 2008, so in the meantime, bashing blows off a little steam I guess. There has NEVER been such an inept and evil team of motherfuckers in the Whitehouse, EVER. Oh lord, don't get me started. Ok, cooling down.

So, anyone got a link to Neil on CNN? Is it on youtube? I'd like to see it. And I plan to get his new album as soon as its out.

The Nixon administration was pretty bad.
    "It's not British music, it's American music. Now c'mon." -Bob Dylan
  • Options
    KricketKricket Posts: 707
    http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/Music/04/18/leisure.young.reut/

Here's an article on Neil and a clip on protest songs, kinda lame, but I don't see anything on the interview with Neil...anyone have a link?
  • Options
    moemoe6434 wrote:

Neil Young has dual citizenship as far as i know and Bono has residency in the US.

i'm from Holland and have permanent residency (soon to be dual citizen) in the US, and i'm pretty pissed off about whats happening in DC. please feel free to bash Holland you have the right too as a citizen of the world
    ~It is better to be hated for who you are than loved for who you are not - ?~

~You laugh because I am different, I laugh because you are all the fucking same -?~

~Education is the most powerfull weapon you can use to change the world - Nelson Mandela~
  • Options
    intodeep wrote:

For instance

Ohio
    Campaigner

well said intodeep.
  • Options
    DCGARDEN wrote:
    I believe you have mis-interpreted what I said. Allow me to be clear.
    I would not suggest bands/singers not sing about politics. You are right, no one is forced to buy the albums. I was referring to the topic at hand that started this thread ( it has evolved into something else, but that's expected)
    If I see Neil Young on TV doing interview, I want to hear about his music, because I have always loved it. But once he starts ranting about Bush, or anything political for that matter, I would just turn him off. Don't insinuate that I am against anyone's right to speak. When I go to see Pearl Jam, I would not be interested in hearing Vedder's rants on Bush either, unless they're in a song ( Bush-leaguer is a great song ), that's all I'm saying.

Fair Enough.

I think this album is a little different though because the music is specifically and blatantly about Bush and the present War Against Iraq. So in a way him talking about bush is talking about the music.

almost the same as if someone asked him to talk about his song long may you run you would hear a story about his numerous cars he has and collects.

When neil was pushing prairie wind and the movie heart of gold most of his interviews did not become political becasue the subject matter of the album was more family oriented and the questions were geared towards that.

Does that make sense of why he would rant about bush in a current interview?

I guess it is easy for me to take his side. My political views lean a bit more that way and i'm happy to have that kind of an album. I can understand how perhaps if i was more conservitive it may feel like everyone is jumping on the the flavor of the week complaining about politics, but i think people are really just passionate about their distrust and distaste for the current administration.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options

can i ask why you voted for him if you dislike him and now say that you regret having voted for him?

perhaps there are close to 50 million others out there feeling the same way that you do - that they made a mistake and that is why you see a backlash now.
  • Options
    i'm LIVING WITH WAR everyday
    i'm LIVING WITH WAR in my heart everyday
    i'm LIVING WITH WAR right now

and when the dawn breaks i see my fellow man
    and on the flat screen we kill and we're killed again
    and when the night falls, i pray for PEACE
    try to remember PEACE...visualize...

i join the multitudes
    i raise my hand in PEACE
    i never bow to the laws of the thought police
    i take a holy vow
    to never kill again
    to never kill again

i'm LIVING WITH WAR in my heart
    i'm LIVING WITH WAR in my heart and mind

don't take no tidal wave
    don't take no mass grave
    don't take no smokin' gun
    to show how the west was won

but when the curtain falls, i pray for PEACE

in the crowded streets
    in the big hotels
    in the mosques and the doors of the old museum
    i take a holy vow
    to never kill again

try to remember PEACE

the rocket's red glare, bombs burtsing in air
    give proof through the night, that our flag is still there

i'm LIVING WITH WAR right now.
  • Options
    The Nixon administration was pretty bad.

Yesthey were (and I remember the day that the headline took up the whole page of my parent's newspaper that said Nixon is quitting), but they weren't as incompetent, and Nixon does get some credit for improving relations with China. Not a great guy by any means, but the current crew is still the worst.
  • Options

and when the dawn breaks i see my fellow man
    and on the flat screen we kill and we're killed again
    and when the night falls, i pray for PEACE

i join the multitudes
    i raise my hand in PEACE
    i never bow to the laws of the thought police
    i take a holy vow
    to never kill again
    to never kill again

i'm LIVING WITH WAR in my heart
    i'm LIVING WITH WAR in my heart and mind

don't take no tidal wave
    don't take no mass grave
    don't take no smokin' gun
    to show how the west was won

but when the curtain falls, i pray for PEACE

in the crowded streets
    in the big hotels
    in the mosques and the doors of the old museum
    i take a holy vow
    to never kill again

try to remember PEACE

the rocket's red glare, bombs burtsing in air
    give proof through the night, that our flag is still there

i'm LIVING WITH WAR right now.

That is beautiful. Sad, but beautiful, and a positive note too.
  • Options
    KricketKricket Posts: 707
    JaneNY wrote:
    Yah I really can't wait to hear the album.
  • Options
    JaneNY wrote:

i'm really anxious to hear this too. nine days from start to finish, with three musicians backing him up and 100 choir members...should be amazing!
  • Options
    I've always thought one of neil's best songs is War of Man.

the acoustic version of that song from the Kosova benifit cd is really good.

One of my fav neil songs ever.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    intodeep wrote:
    I've always thought one of neil's best songs is War of Man.

the acoustic version of that song from the Kosova benifit cd is really good.

One of my fav neil songs ever.

it is awesome intodeep. one of many underrated neil tunes.
  • Options
    primussucksprimussucks Posts: 2,344
    Part of a transcript from last night's Neil interview on Showbiz Tonight
    VARGAS: Tell me, when do you feel that this album will be released?

YOUNG: Well, they`re talking about that inside right now, and I know that it`s going to be very fast. It`s already at the manufacturing plant. We`re going to use the Internet, in many ways, to roll it out: first, the lyrics; then, music; and then, after we`ve got it out there and downloadable around the planet, we`re going to start releasing the discs as soon as they can be manufactured.

It`s a unique situation to be in, and we can take advantage of all the technology we have to communicate with. And it`s a different age. So I`m glad to be here.
    Summerfest 7/8/95
    Missoula 6/20/98
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98 & 6/27/98
    Alpine Valley 10/8/00 
    Champaign 4/23/03
    Alpine Valley 6/21/03
    Missoula 8/29/05
    Chicago 5/16 & 17/06
    Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Summerfest 6/29/06 & 6/30/06
    Tampa 6/12/08
    Chicago 8/23/09
    Indy 5/7/10
    Alpine Valley x2 2011
    Wrigley 2013
    Milwaukee 14
    Telluride 16
  • Options
    thanks for the partial transcript. sounds like it will be very soon! :)