Silverchair's last two records

2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance Posts: 23,243
edited August 2007 in Other Music
i just went out and picked up Silverchair's Diorama. was inspired to do this by their latest record Young Modern (a pop rock masterpiece and easily the best record I've heard this year). anyone else get Young Modern and feel inspired to go back into their catalogue? i love their new direction on music. Young Modern is addicting.
www.cluthelee.com
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• very addicting...i'd probably be in the same boat except that i kind of went through the same thing when diorama came out...so all i had to do was listen to neon ballroom and realize how amazing it was (i already played the hell out of the first two....)

those guys never seize to impress me.
    they say god makes problems just to see what you can stand ~ elliott smith
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    they rocked lolla.
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    brain of c wrote:
    they rocked lolla.

they fucking ruined lollapalooza for me. after their set this afternoon, everyone else felt so mediocre... even bands i love and was so excited for... the hold steady and muse were both perfect, but i just couldn't feel it. silverchair was absolutely incredible today, the best live set ive seen at any lolla (this year AND last) and the best show ive seen since brand new last spring (that includes the vic on thursday). they should have been a closer tonight. barring that, i hope like hell they make their way back to chicago soon.
  • JeanieJeanie Posts: 9,446
    Well I've got everything in their back catalogue and a few other little bits and pieces that I've picked up along the way too, so no going back for me. :)

I've been loving them and growing with them since Frogstomp way back when. And I have to say that they are one of the best bands out there today.

And I'm stoked they were so good at Lolla for you ss. :)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
    Jeanie wrote:
    Well I've got everything in their back catalogue and a few other little bits and pieces that I've picked up along the way too, so no going back for me. :)

I've been loving them and growing with them since Frogstomp way back when. And I have to say that they are one of the best bands out there today.

And I'm stoked they were so good at Lolla for you ss. :)

agreed. the mainstream left silverchair, but i never did. i bought every album as it was released and have never been disappointed. their growth has been utterly astonishing. it's just a shame they play live so rarely over here. i'd forgotten just how incredible they are and i think they could sway a lot of people. the crowd today was so into their set, nobody ive seen so far has come close to connecting with the lolla audience the way they did. i have to think they converted a few doubters this morning.

what sorts of bits and pieces are you referring to? im pondering trying to compile some of their b-sides and whatnot. i remember the old tomorrow ep with blind, acid rain, and stoned, but haven't really heard of any other b-sides.
  • hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Posts: 4,895
    It was good to See Daniel looking healthy.

They did play great today. Though I love frogstomp their new stuff is way more mature-obviously

Daniels dissassociatives stuff is amazing.

I am so glad he has found himslef.
    agreed. the mainstream left silverchair, but i never did. i bought every album as it was released and have never been disappointed. their growth has been utterly astonishing. it's just a shame they play live so rarely over here. i'd forgotten just how incredible they are and i think they could sway a lot of people. the crowd today was so into their set, nobody ive seen so far has come close to connecting with the lolla audience the way they did. i have to think they converted a few doubters this morning.

what sorts of bits and pieces are you referring to? im pondering trying to compile some of their b-sides and whatnot. i remember the old tomorrow ep with blind, acid rain, and stoned, but haven't really heard of any other b-sides.

Well I don't know how it was interpreted there ss, but Daniel's health was a massive issue for them here, and I think it certainly had a big impact on their overseas markets. So I don't know that the mainstream left them, more like they were unable to promote and tour as much because of illness and America being a bigger market to get lost in I'm thinking probably had something to do with it. But silverchair in form is quite something to see. Not that I think they've ever played badly when I've seen them, just degrees of brilliance really. :) Most of the stuff I've got is on video, including one of their very first live perfomances at a pub in Newcastle before they were even old enough to drink. There's a whole bunch of bits and pieces of theirs that I've collected on video over the years. Some of it has since been released on DVD but some has not. Oh and of course I've got I Can't Believe It's Not Rock, Daniel's first little effort with Paul Mac. :)
    Oh and the Rarities CD but you've probably got that already right ss? :)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,761
    What was their set list for Lolla?

SS, I have about 4 or 5 of the most recent singles and then the ones that were on that horeible "best of" after "Neon Ballroom".
    Jeanie wrote:
    Well I don't know how it was interpreted there ss, but Daniel's health was a massive issue for them here, and I think it certainly had a big impact on their overseas markets. So I don't know that the mainstream left them, more like they were unable to promote and tour as much because of illness and America being a bigger market to get lost in I'm thinking probably had something to do with it. But silverchair in form is quite something to see. Not that I think they've ever played badly when I've seen them, just degrees of brilliance really. :) Most of the stuff I've got is on video, including one of their very first live perfomances at a pub in Newcastle before they were even old enough to drink. There's a whole bunch of bits and pieces of theirs that I've collected on video over the years. Some of it has since been released on DVD but some has not. Oh and of course I've got I Can't Believe It's Not Rock, Daniel's first little effort with Paul Mac. :)
    Oh and the Rarities CD but you've probably got that already right ss? :)

i have no dvd's nor the rarities cd. i have live from faraway stables on a burned cd, but that's it. i should buy that greatest hits... it's got the rarities on it.

i knew about his health issues, just didn't click with me. nonetheless i still feel like us tours were much more rare than australia. i think i saw them on their last big tour (and the last time frogstomp was played with any regularity) in the late 90s for neon ballroom.
    What was their set list for Lolla?

SS, I have about 4 or 5 of the most recent singles and then the ones that were on that horeible "best of" after "Neon Ballroom".

the best of was horrible or the rarities were? ill reconstruct their set later today or tomorrow.
  • ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,761
    the best of was horrible or the rarities were? ill reconstruct their set later today or tomorrow.

I thought the whole "Best Of" disc was terrible, just their old label trying to suck a little more life out of them.
    I thought the whole "Best Of" disc was terrible, just their old label trying to suck a little more life out of them.

true, but if it's the only way for me to get some of those rarities, i may end up doing it.
    i have no dvd's nor the rarities cd. i have live from faraway stables on a burned cd, but that's it. i should buy that greatest hits... it's got the rarities on it.

i knew about his health issues, just didn't click with me. nonetheless i still feel like us tours were much more rare than australia. i think i saw them on their last big tour (and the last time frogstomp was played with any regularity) in the late 90s for neon ballroom.

Just had a quick look at the track listing for The Best Of Volume 1 and the only things I can see that are on the Rarities that aren't on it are

[00] Acoustic Remix and [11] Spawn (pre vitro version) otherwise it's the same cd. :)

1. Anthem For The Year 2000
    2. Freak
    3. Ana's Song (Open Fire)
    4. Emotion Sickness
    5. Israel's Son
    6. Tomorrow
    7. Cemetary
    8. Door, The
    9. Miss You Love
    10. Abuse Me
    11. Pure Massacre
    12. Untitled
    13. New Race
    14. Trash
    15. Ana's Song (Open Fire) - (acoustic remix)
    16. Madman
    17. Blind
    18. Punk Song #2
    19. Wasted / Fix Me
    20. Minor Threat
    21. Freak - (remix)

Yeah, I remember watching a couple of times on tv here where Daniel and the boys talked about him being sick and the impact it had on them touring.
    We do see them here more no doubt but I'm thinking if he's feeling better you should get a bit more of them. That reactive arthritis thingy was really bad for him. I was so thrilled to see when he was feeling better. He does talk about it quite a bit on the Making of Diorama video I think. Yeah, we usually get a little bit of something from Frog. I have seen a few songs from it over the years. I think I've seen them about 6 times now. But I've never seen them do Tomorrow. It's all I really want to see. Just once. :)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
    Jeanie wrote:
    Just had a quick look at the track listing for The Best Of Volume 1 and the only things I can see that are on the Rarities that aren't on it are

[00] Acoustic Remix and [11] Spawn (pre vitro version) otherwise it's the same cd. :)

1. Anthem For The Year 2000
    2. Freak
    3. Ana's Song (Open Fire)
    4. Emotion Sickness
    5. Israel's Son
    6. Tomorrow
    7. Cemetary
    8. Door, The
    9. Miss You Love
    10. Abuse Me
    11. Pure Massacre
    12. Untitled
    13. New Race
    14. Trash
    15. Ana's Song (Open Fire) - (acoustic remix)
    16. Madman
    17. Blind
    18. Punk Song #2
    19. Wasted / Fix Me
    20. Minor Threat
    21. Freak - (remix)

Yeah, I remember watching a couple of times on tv here where Daniel and the boys talked about him being sick and the impact it had on them touring.
    We do see them here more no doubt but I'm thinking if he's feeling better you should get a bit more of them. That reactive arthritis thingy was really bad for him. I was so thrilled to see when he was feeling better. He does talk about it quite a bit on the Making of Diorama video I think. Yeah, we usually get a little bit of something from Frog. I have seen a few songs from it over the years. I think I've seen them about 6 times now. But I've never seen them do Tomorrow. It's all I really want to see. Just once. :)

could be a long wait... i consider myself lucky. last time i saw them was their last tour here, in 99 for neon ballroom. they were still playing those songs then. i got all the frogstomp classics... tomorrow, israel's son, pure massacre, suicidal dream, shade... they even played faultline and it was SICK!

im going to have to track down their dvd's. and ill reply to your pm soon.
    could be a long wait... i consider myself lucky. last time i saw them was their last tour here, in 99 for neon ballroom. they were still playing those songs then. i got all the frogstomp classics... tomorrow, israel's son, pure massacre, suicidal dream, shade... they even played faultline and it was SICK!

im going to have to track down their dvd's. and ill reply to your pm soon.

Yeah, I know!! I've seen them 6 times I think in the last 10 years and I've still not heard Tomorrow. But that's cool. I know why they don't like playing it. I'd just like to hear it once. But yeah, sounds like you were very lucky. :)

I've got Surfin' Bird if you want it. Just let me know. :)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
    Jeanie wrote:
    Yeah, I know!! I've seen them 6 times I think in the last 10 years and I've still not heard Tomorrow. But that's cool. I know why they don't like playing it. I'd just like to hear it once. But yeah, sounds like you were very lucky. :)

I've got Surfin' Bird if you want it. Just let me know. :)

maybe they mingled with ed backstage at lolla and he told them a thing or two abotu learning to love and accept your early mega-hits ;)
    maybe they mingled with ed backstage at lolla and he told them a thing or two abotu learning to love and accept your early mega-hits ;)

Geez! One can only hope! :D
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • mulva9mulva9 Posts: 417
    Apparently Daniel likes to sing happy birthday. Sang it to Chris in Boston and to Paul Mac at Lollapalooza. I'm pretty sure it wasn't either of their birthdays (and I don't think anyone was buying that Paul Mac is 26).

So after waiting about 10 years to see Silverchair, I just saw them twice in the span of 6 days. Pretty good week.
  • rlaidepeasrlaidepeas Posts: 306
    Just an FYI, if anybody is interested in an autographed copy of 'Young Modern', they have them at http://www.newburycomics.com
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,258
    I AGREE they were the best sounding to me along with KOL but since i'm not that familiar with their catalog i can't tell you what songs were performed on sunday at LOLLA if anyone can post their set list thanks .......
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • lowlight10lowlight10 Posts: 619
    Lollapalooza 8/4/07

picture: http://www.chairpage.com/app/webroot/img/roadreports/2007/08/07080401.jpg

setlist:

Young Modern Station
    Emotion Sickness
    Without You
    Greatest View
    Insomnia
    Reflections
    Straight Lines
    The Door
    Mind Reader
    -Happy Birthday to Paul Mac-
    Ana’s Song